Notices

Hangover...

Old 05-26-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover...

Hi All,
I am on day 12 - all good - except that for the last 3 days I have woken with what feels like the worst hangover from drinking the cheapest red wine, mixed with paint remover. I probably haven't actually had a hangover like that for many years as my tolerance to alcohol was very high. I have not drunk a drop in the last 12 days and wonder if this is 'normal'?
I did once go for a year without drinking but I cant remember how that was and since then, and before then, I probably never went more than than a few days and never felt this level of 'hangover' when I stopped for a couple of days.The headache is bad enough for me to have to take painkillers in order to function, my eyes feel dry and my brain feels like a dry pea in a tin can. I also am suffering from terrible insomnia, plus waking up at various hours. Perhaps this is just how it is when you give up after decades of drinking. I wondered if anyone had experienced similar and how long on average it lasts. I am keeping hydrated, exercising, eating well, not sure what else I can do. Or is just a waiting game? Thank you.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took more over the counter pain killers in that first month than I had for years, but for joint pain, mostly. My whole body was in super-sensitive mode, though. For the first time I wasn't numbing my entire nervous system. I think it's completely normal.

The thing that caused me hangover-like symptoms in early sobriety was eating too many carbs, or sugar. It would give me a hangover.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, things can certainly be all over the map the first few weeks both mentally and physically. Insomnia and sleep issues are also very common during this time. Remember that drinking not only does damage to your physical well being, but it also alters your brain chemistry. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and after repeated/daily drinking your brain gets used to that heavy sedative/depressant dose. When you remove it, your brain reacts in all sorts of crazy ways.

The good news is that indeed all of these things improve with sober time and focus on your health ( both mental and physical ).

The other thing to keep in mind is that there could always be a cause to the way you feel that's completely unrelated to your recovery ( a common cold, allergies, etc ).
Old 05-26-2021, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi DustyFox, well done on 12 days, sounds like classic PAWS (Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome) it can last for a while but levels out later, it depends on many factors on how long it lasts like your current health, how much you drank, and how long .... It's your brain recalibrating itself, I took a multi-B VITEMEN to help, ate well, little exercise, no stress, fresh air, and sun, try and get good sleep, I drink chamoline or sleepytime tea in the evening before bed. TBH its a waiting game as you say, best of luck, and don't drink poison
Old 05-26-2021, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Headache, dry eyes, It sounds like you may be dehydrated. If you're not already, try sipping water. I add a dash of sea salt to my water.

You're body is working hard to readjust.

Low blood sugar can cause issues in early recovery too. My body needed a lot of carbs in the form of sugar for the first few months.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You think you may have some kind of virus?
It sounds like you are sick.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the insights.
The only sugar I ever had was in alcohol, not really having a sweet tooth, but I started drinking when I was about 15, in varying amounts and intensity over well, quite horribly nearly 4 decades , and although ' high or reasonably functioning' over most of it there really has been very little break. I am craving carbs and sugar, which I am denying myself, I do have low blood pressure, so perhaps I need to adjust my diet. I am probably foolishly drinking too much strong black coffee in the day to get me through - probably need to reduce that too. It is ironic I am in a worse in the mornings now than ever I was before - but it's all in a good cause! Reading posts here is very, very helpful and motivational!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have been counseled a few times for offering my two cents, and that is fine, so I must first say see a Dr. Then I say...

In my experience...

I suffered hell on earth for months, well into 90 days, off and on for several years, getting to this level of good to go.

I am very good to go now. But, I suffered like a prisoner of war.

Everything you mentioned, plus anxiety off the charts, paranoia, obsession, spatial disorientation etc etc etc on and on.

I never want to experience that again, and like life after covid, things seem ten times better because I am free.

Suffering and time is my answer. If you need meds, you need them. If you don't, that is better.

I still get a little wonky and wacky sometimes, but nothing like before plus I am used to it. I call it my PAWS/PTSD.

Love love love.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve had headaches in the past when I quit, but normally only for the first two or three days. I’m recovering from Covid at the moment and I must say my symptoms match yours to a tee, except that I’m also dealing with fever, mostly cold spells. Being in the UK you’ve probably been vaccinated already and I don’t mean to cause unnecessary concern, but I found the resemblance so striking that I thought I’d mention my experience. Hopefully you don’t have anything to worry about and are just going through the recovery process. Clearly many others that replied to your thread have had experiences similar to yours.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

D122 - as you say suffering and time may be the only way -
I doubt I have a virus or COVID I have been vaccinated twice and I have none of the other symptoms. Sorry to hear you have had COVID Cptn. Haddock, I do hope you make a speedy recovery.
If I have any other unusual symptoms I might see a GP, but I do not want to tell him about my past drinking situation as I don't want it on my medical record, not if I don't have to.
D122 - if it's 90 days then I have only have 78 left to go! I know this is just an approximation but even that helps
Old 05-26-2021, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Headaches are not unusual in early sobriety - I had a few and I wasn't consuming much alcohol at the end. Likewise insomnia is extremely common. However, all of this may be exacerbated even more by your sugar balance and excessive caffeine. Alcohol is high sugar, which is why we crave sweets and carbs when we stop drinking. You have removed that. Perhaps you should indulge a little, with some healthy sweets - fruit, fruit smoothies, dark chocolate, carrot cake, etc. Not too much though. And caffeine has a half-life of 6 hours. Best not to drink after noon as you are still getting 25% caffeine from the last cup at midnight.. If you ramped up the coffee that could easily be part of the problem.

Congrats on such amazing progress dustyfox!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Into my second year of sobriety, I'll still get a phantom hangover out of the blue. Wake up, dehydrated, head pounding, almost no energy. I always welcome those sensations to remind what awaits every day at the bottom of a bottle. Hang in there.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dustyfox, you've gotten lots of good advice here. I also had many aches and pains when I stopped drinking, probably because I'd been ignoring things when I was drinking. I found that listening to my body really helped. Like you I craved carbs and it helped me to add extra carbs to my diet in the first few months. Once things evened out, I cut back a bit.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope you don't mind me asking but why are you denying yourself sugar if you suspect you have low blood sugar? With Dark Chocolate and soda I was able to offset most of the cravings. It was one of the keys for me. Probably should have focused more on fruit juice but after 16 months sober I don't even think about sodas anymore. Love my tea and dark chocolate.

Going from alcoholic to a strict health regime overnight would have been impossible for me in early recovery. But that is just my experience everyone is different.

Keep going!
Old 05-26-2021, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm also hungover and crappy. I can't even eat anything without barfing.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Sober45 - Denying myself sugar because it seemed like a good idea at the time and I thought the sugar in fruit might be enough plus I am trying to support my OH in cutting back on sugar as he is now pre diabetic- However I am going out later to buy dark chocolate, merrily walking past the wine and spirits on route!
Old 05-26-2021, 09:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear. When I walk past the wine section, I give it the finger. lol. You can have the life you want without alcohol. Believe it.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
I I’m recovering from Covid at the moment and I must say my symptoms match yours to a tee, except that I’m also dealing with fever, mostly cold spells.
Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I doubt I have a virus or COVID I have been vaccinated twice and I have none of the other symptoms.
DF, If I were you, just to be safe, I'd consult with your GP, in light of Captain Haddock's COVID symptoms experience, and given your symptoms, and in particular, the UK GOV list of Yellow Card reported symptoms on the UK Gov website - regarding COVID vaccine, and other COVID Jabs.

Hope you feel better soon, Captain Haddock.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

dustyfox, If I can't sleep I'll eat some peanut butter toast with a banana and drink a glass of milk. It puts me right out. You said you're supporting your OH's diet so I'm not sure if those are foods you can share but why not have some just for yourself?

There's loads of audible sleep apps available that you might enjoy. They focus on guided meditation, psychoacoustics, the sounds of a waterfall and so on. Headspace, Relax Melodies, Pzizz, Calm... Might something like that help?
Old 05-26-2021, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 12, dustyfox. You doing so well.

All in a good cause.

A really good cause.