Notices

Gym

Old 05-18-2021, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gym

Just curious has anyone return to the gym? As restrictions are being lifted I feel a great deal of anxiety. I am working on it daily. I have had my gym membership frozen since last year. There has been benefits I've been exercising out doors, feels great to get some sun on these guns. Lol . I miss the equipment and workout partners even though they aren't in recovery they share similar health goals.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're still in lockdown here till next week and I have just one dose of the vaccine so far. But, regardless, I will be very cautious returning to indoor activities - gym, shopping, etc, but that's just me. I walk miles every day and love it and the weather is beautiful here so I'm happy for now. I think it depends if you're fully vaccinated and if you think others in the gym are fully vaccinated. Also, what protocols does the gym follow as far as sanitizing, etc? And, it comes down to your personal comfort level.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fo sho. An essential aspect of my sobriety. I too was outside during lockdown but things have opened back up, gyms for a few months now. Feels great to be back.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ve been at the gym since January. They had very loose mask requirements Jan-March and none since April. They were taking temperatures I think I remember back in January.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I haven't been a member of a gym for a long time, but, like Anna, I get outside most every day for walking my dog. That's enough exercise for me and my dog enjoys her sniffing time, loves to check her peemail.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not return but into... I have generally always been quite slim in my adult life - 5'8' female, around 120-150 lbs. Never been a gym rat, I guess naturally toned, but... The alcoholism has packed a few pounds on, and I am still trying to lose the high end of 150, and perhaps bring it down to a 130-140 lbs range that I prefer for my age (47) now.

Very open to workout buddies of all kinds! I walk a lot now, >10,000 steps on average per day. Sometimes run, some parts of it. But it is not high-enough intensity and I want to do more .
Old 05-18-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I bought a mill and have free weights at home. Canceled the membership a month ago. I wont be returning.
Necessity is the mother of invention....... Ive actually found that I am more dedicated to weights now.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I worked out since Day 1 of the pandemic. But, I was working out before as well.

When the gym was closed, I worked out at home.

The state I live in has had fairly loose pandemic rules since the beginning. I think my gym may have closed for about a month.

I don't eat super clean, so I carry some extra weight or whatever. The gym is my temple.

If I could manage a great diet, I would look like Frank Zane. Maybe someday.

At least I don't drink anymore and that is the main thing.

Booze is poison.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is awesome I love to hear everyone getting there exercise in. I am fully vaccinated. But I have made my decision not to go back to the gym yet. I'll be back later. I was a gym rat and did all my training indoors. I will continue my exercising to outdoors for the rest of the year. I've been trying to do 500 navy seal burpees. Seen it on YouTube. I did 300 in a hour. Most video I see they do 500 in about a hour and a half. Keeping me motivated.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bike. Bought myself a new road bike that costs more than I should have spent - but I do love it so.....

cycling is distanced by definition. Moving so the mask isn’t needed - great cardio, fresh air and vitamin D.

It has kept me sane. Pre and post sobriety. Goodness knows how much worse I would have been as a d5inker without the bike. I shudder to think.

also - there is a push-up program called the evil trainer. It’s good for home office. You can switch out squats and sit-ups.

im still fat. But at least I feel good. No hangovers or withdrawals certainly helps that
Old 05-19-2021, 01:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about rejoining my local leisure centre. Although I do exercise at home, there are too many distractions and also I don't feel like I push myself enough. With the leisure centre there is the social aspect of mixing with other people and the variety of what I could do - not only the gym but other activities too such as badminton.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I play tennis at an indoor facility and we are still required to wear masks although that will probably change this week. I would prefer that the mask requirement stay in place another month until a larger percentage of the population is vaccinated, but if the requirement is changed I will probably still play. I'm fully vaccinated and probably over cautious but my wife and I both have preexisting conditions.

The past 15 months has certainly changed our lives. We were joking with some friends the other night about how paranoid we all were at the start of the pandemic, wiping down groceries, etc. We've come a long way since then. But I think it's going to be awhile before most people go out in public without even thinking about covid.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not at the moment, no. If i was 25 and living alone i'd be back in a heartbeat. But i've got other people i need to consider.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have never done the gym - I try and walk 10,000 steps a day - I love walking it clears my head, improves my mood and when the sun is shining its a joy. Before lock down I used to swim, but I am not so keen about returning to the pool - despite having both vaccines, I am still a little nervous. My big aim is to get my bike out and get on it . Can't wait for some warm dry weather.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have never been much of a gym person because I prefer the outdoors, but I do enjoy yoga and still do a few poses on my own. I also I ride my road bike 3 times a week (6 hours). We have over a hundred miles of paved bike paths and I use them, lol. Since that is not a weight-bearing activity, on off days I do pushups, sit-ups, light weights (dumbells) and sometimes hiking. I get really bored just walking around the neighborhood but we do have awesome hiking trails in the foothills where I live.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Sticky! I have exercise equipment at home and not really ready for the gym 🙁 Besides, when I was younger, I practically lived at the gym and had a nice game of basketball after a good workout…Since getting much older, dealing with injuries and increasing disabilities, I’ve just lost my taste for gyms over the years.

Still getting a lot of great exercise like walking and calisthenics, but I’m taking it easy with just enough to keep in shape.

Hopefully you will get back to the gym soon.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I bought a very expensive exercise machine a long time ago. A complete waste of money. It was just too easy to just not bother with it. I needed to go to a gym where my only focus was exercising. No distractions. Was very worried about COVID when I first went back, but the gym I go to did a lot to make sure everyone was safe. Even though I got the two shots, I still wear a mask and clean the machines down. Wash my hands a lot. Just becomes a habit. Good luck to everybody trying to get in shape. It's not easy. John
Old 05-19-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Hi Sticky! I have exercise equipment at home and not really ready for the gym 🙁 Besides, when I was younger, I practically lived at the gym and had a nice game of basketball after a good workout…Since getting much older, dealing with injuries and increasing disabilities, I’ve just lost my taste for gyms over the years.

Still getting a lot of great exercise like walking and calisthenics, but I’m taking it easy with just enough to keep in shape.

Hopefully you will get back to the gym soon.

I am grateful I have some dumbbells and kettle bells. I also been using rubber bands for training. I was really into martial arts I go to a MMA gym. I miss the training partners. But I am really curious about my reaction time in sparring. I was living on pain medicine fighting with all types of injuries. Now mind and body and heart are clear and in a good place.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't weighed myself for a couple weeks now, in part because I was insecure about my fitness regimen... But I weighed in 142lbs (for 5'8") this morning - almost at the lower end of my goal. So lost quite some from the 160 high. I haven't really changed my diet significantly in years, except eliminating alcohol. Never use added sugar (just don't like sweets), lots of vegetables and probably too much meat. Low carb in general, but I don't deny especially the occasional pizza, chips and fattening sauces and dressings. I also naturally do the intermittent fasting trend - how I have been eating since my late teens! I always thought it was a bad habit and unhealthy, until the recent trends all over the map...

I try to be careful with this as I had an eating disorder in my youth, with way too much preoccupation with my weight and looks, anorexia and bulimia, the whole shebang. I try to trust some external stats and perceptions more these days .