Notices

Emotional Rollercoaster

Old 05-17-2021, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional Rollercoaster

Only on Day 3 of no drinking so I know my emotions will be high but man, I am having a rough day!
This is going on my list of reasons why not to drink - I will become an emotional wreck can't stop crying
I have been distracting myself with work but I just feel so lonely, isolated and depressed when sober I'm energetic and happy..
I'm finding it hard to love myself today, everyone thinks I'm a garbage drunk, my boyfriend is totally avoiding me probably outside telling the neighbors how terrible I am and what I've done to him uughhhhhh
Looking forward to weeks down the road and everything is leveled out
Guess I'm just looking for a virtual hug
xoxox D
Old 05-17-2021, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day three also. Well done, brilliant ! Day 3 is harder than day 1 and 2. Get through it and then tackle day 4!
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on day three also. Well done, brilliant ! Day 3 is harder than day 1 and 2. Get through it and then tackle day 4!
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sweetd, this is a place where others understand. Virtual hug to you !!! Day three was my hardest - I hope you can keep visiting here and get more ideas for getting through. Like you said, it will get easier, but for today, hang on to others who understand. You can do it.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweetd, this is a place where others understand. Virtual hug to you !!! Day three was my hardest - I hope you can keep visiting here and get more ideas for getting through. Like you said, it will get easier, but for today, hang on to others who understand. You can do it.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 3, you are certainly in the thick of it. But you are right, if you stay sober, things will level out... they may even rise above what you think is possible.

Good on you for coming here and posting. That’s a positive step right there.

In the early days for me I ate dark chocolate and binge watched TV. Doesn’t sound healthy but it helped avoid cravings big time.

you can do this!
Old 05-17-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

https://giphy.com/gifs/LKBXtT5yIRP6E
Old 05-17-2021, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Sd1033,
Your Addictive Voice is what is feeling lonely and rejected - by YOU. For years you have been a slave to ITs whims and desires. You have been a protector and problem solver of all of the bad consequences of indulging in ITs deep pleasure.

You, the human being, who for years has been channeled into a very narrow and subservient way of life is about to BREAK FREE from ITs grip. You must force yourself to be optimistic about your future. Part of you knows absolutely this is what you want and need. Be willing to allow yourself to detach from that old habituated pleasure seeking. It is wrong for you. You can become a permanent nondrinker.
GT
Old 05-17-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mood swings are very normal - its like we wall up our feelings for so long,then when we stop drinking the dam wall breaks and we're flooded with emotions.

It won't last forever - you'll find your emotional level again

D
Old 05-17-2021, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sweetd you are making progress so thats something to feel good about despite everything else. There are a lot of good books, podcasts and videos out there related to recovery too. Some of them will likely have topics that describe what its like in the early days of recovery. Things will get better the longer you can get some sober time under your feet.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3, good job

Keep on trucking, throw the guilt, shame and general BS bad feelings in the trash for me would you? That's where they belong as they are useless and you don't need junk cluttering the new place up
Old 05-18-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 3 is fantastic. I found Day 3 one of the hardest days to get through, too. Know for sure it will get better and in a day or two you will feel better.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drank partly because it shut off all emotions other than dreamy floaty-ness and anger.

When I quit applying alcohol, all the emotions were Right There.

In the first couple weeks I wanted nothing more than to crawl out of my own skin. I was so emotionally raw and exhausted.

Stay the course, it's worth it.

((eHug))
Old 05-18-2021, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I always find these discussions on early sobriety emotional rollercoasters and the effects of alcohol on emotions intriguing, as my experience has been quite different. I think I'm a pretty level-headed person by default and and alcohol abuse was what caused me a host of emotional problems, extremes and scary moods. Part of the reason I don't like looking back at the evidence of that (e.g. old posts, messages, music I listened to) now in sobriety is because it all feels so alien... I never feel like that sober and have probably been the most stable since I got sober, even during just a few months of abstinence. I get annoyed at my cravings and suffer some sensory overload, e.g. I'm still more sensitive to environmental noises than ever before and get angry at whoever generates them, but that's about it.

I recall actively enjoying the indulgence in emotions and very emotional materials while drinking all the time - something I rarely have an interest in sober. Interestingly, some other people commented on what they perceive as my emotional detachment when I don't drink in negative ways (mostly when I was much younger though), and sometimes it can affect certain types of relationships (with certain kinds of people) negatively. I have an interest in working on this and have been already before I quit drinking, but am only willing to do so far, because that drunken, brooding emotionality I dove into makes me cringe and I'll just never be a touchy-feely person, no matter how much I admire those who can relate to their peers that way and empathize deeply. It's one of those areas where sober me and my AV prefer very different styles. I think it's just an example for the diversity in alcoholism and it's interaction with personalities, even though we all agree on its destructive nature.

For those who struggle with a lot of emotional challenges in early sobriety - pretty much all the reports from people who have been sober long say it evens out significantly with time. Maybe even my tendency for detachment will reach a more mature balance, we shall see .
Old 05-18-2021, 09:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sweetd1033 View Post
. . . . . can't stop crying
. . . . . keep crying - it’s good for you and not doing it is probably one of the reasons you drank ! Not to have feelings is probably why I drank ! In fact it might be why everybody drinks.

Originally Posted by Sweetd1033 View Post
. . . . . everyone thinks I'm a garbage drunk, my boyfriend is totally avoiding me probably outside telling the neighbors how terrible I am and what I've done to him uughhhhhh
That’s why this place is a great place for us to be and to post and express ourselves. There’s no judgment here because to one degree or another we’re all the same.

Also, how many of those people in your life who’d bad mouth you are themselves addicted to one thing or another - most people are.