Notices

I wish i wasn't on antabuse

Old 05-15-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi FF,

If you are looking for someone who can relate to the voices, medication challenges and probably more - here's a Youtube channel of a very intelligent and authentic young man I follow. It's not about alcohol/ism, but he also had drug issues, posts very openly about similar things you struggle with, and some of his other interests. Glad you feel a bit better today.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a...PdbYGkA/videos
Old 05-15-2021, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Free.

Freedomfries: Like yourself and Forwards, I too, had auditory hallucinations while coming off of the alcohol. Usually on the evening of day two sober. I would hear the din of conversation as though it was in the room next to me. The occasional couple of words or short sentence would come through a bit clearer. It seemed very real at the time.

Be well.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

freedomfries I was so very worried about you yesterday, so I'm really glad you made it through the day and are feeling better.

Auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, intrusive thoughts, crippling anxiety/fear - yes. I had all that when I quit. I really wanted to drink. Alcohol is a nasty companion and it does damage but it does get better with Sober Time and if it's something more there are ways to treat that too.

You're not broken, and there is a way out. Stay sober no-matter-what, and I really hope you do continue an open honest dialog with your healthcare people. If you don't trust or like someone, maybe tell their supervisor or ask to be reassigned.

I hope today you find something for which you can be grateful and find some joy somewhere. A little trip outdoors is always healing.

Blessings.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Not true. It's possible. The case they cite refers to auditory hallucinations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5290718/

I'm not suggesting in any way that he stop taking it, because he needs it to stay sober, but he needs to discuss his situation with his doctors.
This Is correct. I just took a glance and found quite a few pages of research showing cases of Disulfiram induced psychosis. Disulfiram inhibits dopamine betahydroxylase (DBH) increasing dopamine level (in Mesolimbis system) causing Psychosis. If you block DBH the metabolism of DA to Norepinephrine can't happen.

Please let your medical team know what's going on. All of them - psychiatrist, GP and pharmacist. It's not permanent as you have already experienced but something as simple as changing dosages or the time you take the two meds might offer some relief - no need for alcohol. *hugs*
Old 05-15-2021, 08:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Am I right when I guess that you’ve already been through mental health system and the ER visits and all the rest of it - more than once?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enaiddes View Post
Am I right when I guess that you’ve already been through mental health system and the ER visits and all the rest of it - more than once?
Yes.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Voices still quiet. My dad bought my mother a bottle of wine so I asked her to go to the local off licence and get me a non alcoholic bottle so I can drink with her. (I'm banned from entering) Looking forward to having a few drinks and catching up. I live with my parents but I don't socialize with them much. Tend to stay in my room. Something I need to work on.

Hopefully the voices don't start up and ruin a nice evening.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad the voices are quiet today. You need to be on a medication which either stops the voices entirely or makes them say less distressing things. I would, as someone else suggest, print off this thread, or take a photo of it if you can't access a printer, and show it to your psychiatrist, or your GP if you don't have one, asking them to prescribe something in addition to the antabuse.

Do you mind me asking do you have private health insurance? St Pats in Dublin 8 have a very good dual diagnosis programme for which you may be suitable.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
I'm glad the voices are quiet today. You need to be on a medication which either stops the voices entirely or makes them say less distressing things. I would, as someone else suggest, print off this thread, or take a photo of it if you can't access a printer, and show it to your psychiatrist, or your GP if you don't have one, asking them to prescribe something in addition to the antabuse.

Do you mind me asking do you have private health insurance? St Pats in Dublin 8 have a very good dual diagnosis programme for which you may be suitable.
I am on an anti psychotic. I next see my psychiatrist in July so I can ask about trying a different one. But I know the voices are real so medication won't help.

I don't have private health insurance unfortunately.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi FF, taking some time to catch up with your mom sounds nice. maybe with her present the voices will leave you alone, at least for a bit anyway.

keep at it, FF. You’re determination will win in the end I’m sure. It’s just a matter of finding the right combination of medication and strategies.

sending peaceful vibes to you and your mom for a lovely evening.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning. Voices are quiet so far. Taken the Antabuse again.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning, FF. Glad to hear things are still settled a bit.

Any plans for the day? As for me it’s 2am and I haven’t gone to bed yet. Took a big nap after supper and now I’m wired on tea!
Old 05-16-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Good morning, FF. Glad to hear things are still settled a bit.

Any plans for the day? As for me it’s 2am and I haven’t gone to bed yet. Took a big nap after supper and now I’m wired on tea!
I'm visiting my grandmother's grave with my dad.

I went to the removal but then thought I could have a few drinks after which led to a bender. I didn't go to to the funeral and never visited her grave in my years of active addiction. Hoping I can apologize to her and make amends.

Otherwise just a quiet day.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm glad you've had a quiet day, FF.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good plan, FF. It is never too late to make amends. Who knows, maybe her energy will keep things settled for a while
Old 05-17-2021, 01:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Few days without the voices. I'm taking the Antabuse. I really want to stay sober. Drinking will make everything worse. I hope the voices will give me a break for a few more days. I have an interview tomorrow and I hope at least they're quiet for that.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am just catching up on your thread and I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. It's really encouraging though, that the voices have quietened down and you sound really committed to staying sober. You are inspiring me! Look after yourself xx
Old 05-17-2021, 01:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks Gabe.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes with your interview

D
Old 05-17-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

The voices have started up again. Hopefully they won't last too long. It'd be really hard to go to my interview tomorrow with them active. They're not as loud as they were Friday. I'm not even sure I'm hearing them. I've taken two Ativan to calm down, they'll kick in soon. I don't regret taking the Antabuse today. Drinking would not help matters.