Notices

I have to start sometime

Old 05-15-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have done good today, so far. I thought I would come in here and just check in, it is getting near wine:30 and I want to make it through.

We had a nice lunch with friends and did some shopping, Before lunch we stopped in a candy store and I got my daughter a bag of different Jelly Belly's to ease her nerves some, but mostly to ease mine. I had a good handful before lunch to ward off temptation. Sugar definitely helps calm the beast. We had a nice lunch, everyone had Bloody Mary's and I just said that I can't drink and be in the sun, which is true, especially if it is more then a few.

I have been getting laundry done so my husband can repack and be on his way for a couple of days. Left overs tonight, so no sitting down at the table together. I am going to get some ironing done during dinner time.

I have a plan, plans help. I do okay with plans as long as I am not thrown off track.

On with finishing the day!
Old 05-15-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on planning and getting through the day sober.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You sound positive and determined. OneThing. We know you can do this.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not a Dr nor giving medical advice.

I also couldn't get past one day due to stress and withdrawal. Good intentions but couldn't do it.

Have you considered getting medications from your Dr or ER as they have worked wonders for me and (so far) have made it so, so much easier.

Just an idea anyway : )
Old 05-16-2021, 05:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ok, kinda bumbed today and the day has not really started!

First, I made it through yesterday sober. Yeah me! I fixed hubby's dinner and asked him if he wanted wine with it. He said sure, are you going to have some with me? No, and he mentioned I didn't drink at lunch. I just told him that I was drinking too much and wanted to "cool" it. He was fine with that. It helps to wait till the right time to explain things. I am just fine with him having wine and my plan is when he leaves, if there is a bottle open, down the sink it goes.

But now he is gone. He will be home by Wednesday evening because I have yet another procedure on my back on Thursday. After that we leave on his birthday vacation on Sunday for a week driving down to Key West. We live in Central Florida. It should be a nice trip, I have things planned, visiting sites and hiking in one really nice state park and another federal park. Shopping, of course, in the Keys. Maybe renting a moped to visit beaches. Something to look forward to.

He is gone now, and that is hard for me. I am in pain, I am always in pain, but my pain is not as bad as it once was so that is a good thing. I am fighting having a huge pity party right now. Sorry, party for one, in my pajamas with something that I haven't binge watched yet. This is never a good idea. It leads to guilt, which leads to drinking, which leads to feeling bad and comes back to guilt.

I have started a list of all the things I want to get done before he comes home. The list is longer then I can possibly get done, but it is a list of things to do. I figured it was better then the day before he comes home and thinking, I should have gotten that done. Now where to start? I hurt, I do every morning, afternoon and evening, but getting up and moving around does start to make it better, so I have to remember that.

I do start physical therapy, again, on Tuesday so that will help motivate me in the mornings to get moving. I have done so much physical therapy in the past and those exercises get old, maybe a new set will motivate me for a while. I am now having trouble with my left shoulder. One thing gets fixed and another part seems to flare up. I have a new primary doc too and we had a good discussion about meds. I am finally off a lot of them and for the first time in 5yrs I am not taking a med which has the side effect of gaining weight. I have ballooned out from my former self, 35lbs. It is too much, 7lbs a year. Drinking sure didn't contribute to that, huh? lol

I ramble now. I need to keep on here and read. I keep finding so much useful advice.

Now, off to the shower and to the drug store for more ice packs, a graduation card, and high priced Armor All. There's a combination for you!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day....I am sure I will be back!
Old 05-16-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneThingAtATime View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!

It took a lot for me to post yesterday, but One Thing at a Time!
The first post was hard for me too. It was hard for me to really say "I really want to do this. I really want to commit, this time, finally, to a long term and permanent sobriety."

You sound like you want this and, having already quit for 5 years, you know you can do it again.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You have a plan. A list. I found having a plan to be what actually got me sober. I stuck with that plan every single day no matter what. It proved to be effective and I have been sober ever since. I am sorry to hear of your pain. It is not okay to be in pain every single day. I hope this new doctor can be successful in helping you and I also hope the procedure you are about to receive helps to alleviate some of the pain.

Keep moving forward. You got this. I like the way you are taking control of the situation.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Making a list is a great start, even if it is too much to get done right now. You will see progress. I hope the physio helps you to feel better.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello One Thing.

I think posting and reading on this kind of forum works wonderfully whether you're sober or drinking because it carries you forward on your path. I dont believe you have to be perfect or even sober to post and benefit from forums like this one.

I've also had to rid myself of a couple bad-uns along the way because in my self destructive past I was attracted to men who appealed to me when I was drunk/high.

Since I last allowed myself several drinks at lunch with friends, I get this "why not" sensation every time I pass the liquor store but I havent followed through yet.

I enjoyed reading your post and hope you return here daily to help with your accountability.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by OneThingAtATime View Post
. . . . . I have yet another procedure on my back on Thursday. After that we leave on his birthday vacation on Sunday for a week driving down to Key West. We live in Central Florida. It should be a nice trip, I have things planned, visiting sites and hiking in one really nice state park and another federal park. Shopping, of course, in the Keys. Maybe renting a moped to visit beaches. Something to look forward to.

He is gone now, and that is hard for me. I am in pain, I am always in pain, but my pain is not as bad as it once was so that is a good thing. I am fighting having a huge pity party right now. Sorry, party for one, in my pajamas with something that I haven't binge watched yet. This is never a good idea. It leads to guilt, which leads to drinking, which leads to feeling bad and comes back to guilt. . . . . . I hurt, I do every morning, afternoon and evening, but getting up and moving around does start to make it better, so I have to remember that. . . . . . I am now having trouble with my left shoulder. One thing gets fixed and another part seems to flare up.
Key West and the hiking and shopping and exploring on a moped sounds just wonderful.

I share the pain factor with you because at my advanced age I have every day serious pain in my lower back and my sedentary ways dont help this. I also have the ‘pop up’ pains in various joints which last for a few days then go away. I have no clue what’s wrong with me, never been properly diagnosed at the money-hungrey medical facility I visit which puts profits before patient care. I’m not really able to switch to a different system for various reasons.

Do you feel that these procedures you’re going through help you?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

OTTAT, glad you're still here, and glad you posted of your frustrations. I too have a chronic pain condition and some other health problems. One thought I have -- is to be very kind and gentle with yourself. I understand about making a list and getting up and doing things -- that helps me too. But sometimes I feel better if I just pick one or two things, and give myself credit for starting there. "Today I'll do X and then rest awhile, and see what I feel like after that." It's a delicate balance between motivating myself to engage in a little healthy activity, but not pushing myself too harshly.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well, I have gotten past wine:30. As you can probably guess, I do have some miles behind me so my wine:30 is like the Early Bird Special. This is all new to me. I never really had older women role models. My mother and aunts all died in their early 40's and 50's so I never saw how they muddled through this getting older stuff. Cancer is an awful thing. They have come along way since we lost our mother's so early in life. So far a cousin and myself are survivors.

It is Sunday and when my husband leaves on a Sunday, it is tremendously hard because I don't have my week day routine to fall back on.

I know from my last period of sobriety that the list is a must for me. I no longer make a daily list because I know I can't get through it. I make a list of things that I want to get done before my husband gets back home. Only one thing crossed off today, because I remembered two others that I told him I would get done and didn't write it down. I may just stick them on there and cross them off to feel better.

Chris 2, thanks for the suggestion and I have been there before when the pain was so unbearable I had to go to the hospital. That was before I have kind of set up a team of doctors to do their magic. I stopped counting at 25 doctors, some of them are idiots. Some of the smart ones did miss my condition too. It is nice to finally know what is wrong with me, and I could be much worse, so I thank my stars for that. I could get much worse too, so that will not be a surprise to me if I do. We will see what God has planned. I really don't think that drinking is part of his cure and I am making myself worse.
'
Enaiddes, my procedures have been hit and miss. I have Klippel Feil Syndrome and that means that my C2-C3 neck vertebrae were fused at birth or never separated as I was developing, how ever you want to look at it. I am not as bad as others. I am just wearing out now from the rest of my body compensating for it. I have found that nerve blocks, epidurals, nerve meds do not work a flip for me. The chiropractor did at one time but she always mentioned how she couldn't figure out what was up with my neck so she would concentrate on my back and that kept me going.

I have had radiofrequency ablation done on my neck and that worked for short periods, 3 to 4 months. Ablation is where they go in and burn the nerves at 80 degrees Celsius. Kind of cauterizing the nerves so I can't feel the pain. That enabled me to move my neck better, but so much better that I moved C4,5 and 6 almost a centimeter out of whack. I have had those vertebrae fused and that has been great or not. I had become much more active and now my back is screaming at me. I am going to have L3-5 and S1 undergo ablation. I have two bulging discs, a blown disc, and all kinds of nasty stuff going on down there. Geeze, I am a mess, but we will see what that leads too. Now my shoulder is a common malady to this 'syndrome'. Since the neck doesn't work right the shoulder blades don't either and they want throw in their two cents. I am starting from the beginning, therapy first and then on from there.

I know it this is a lot about my health and it seems like it has nothing to do with drinking, but it does. I have become very sedentary compared to being a very active person, which I was lucky to be before. The more I sat, the easier it was to drink. I do feel very lucky that this never reared its ugly head when I was married before. He would have used that as another excuse as to why I was a sub par wife. I sobered up before we separated and got to know the man he had turned into. Kinda cruel of me, but it was nice that I lead such a great life, met my current husband, and did a lot of fun things before he died. Unfortunately he was the sub par person and never took care of himself. He died of a sudden heart attack at his home and no girlfriend there to call for help for him.

See, I told you I rambled...

On for the night now. A light dinner and some TV, then bed. The one nice thing about my husband being gone is that I can read myself till I am sleepy. My one perk. I sure miss him when he is away.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

A check in. I made it through yesterday so that was day 2, now on to day 3. Days 3 and 4 have usually been a challenge for me, but I have a list!

I am tired today, but I have to get up and moving, it is best for me all the way around. I slept better last night but I have a taskmaster in my home and he decides when I get up. Yes, I am a cat lady, but just one. One is enough. When my husband is not home he decides when I get up and today it was at 6am, there are days that it is at 4am and those are not good days for either of us.

My daughter is off to work, a new adventure, dipping her toe in administrative work. I am glad she is gone because she was driving me nuts stressing about it. She will do fine. She is a good teacher and would make a fine administrator. She will do just fine.

My husband is doing well but out in Colorado working at a plant he worked with last year remotely. He is an electrical engineer and has to get the plant to pass EPA inspection. This is his first job where he gets to see just how effective his work was from home. He is also a bit anxious about that, but he is good at what he does and I am sure it will be fine.

We all have something to get through today.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You're doing great OTAAT! Keep up the great work and insights!
Old 05-17-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Checking in here.

I got nothing done on my list.

I did get a call from my husband, oops, he forgot to tell me to pick up one of his prescriptions and they will put it back if it doesn't get picked up today. Now we live in a fairly rural area, for now. This area is growing leaps and bounds. Any time I go out I have to run the route in my head, is there anything that I need at any other place on my way. Three stores before I made it to the pharmacy and a stop for gas on the way home and a car wash. The car wash was not working.

That tired me slap out, very annoying. I started to eat lunch and my daughter called during her planning, she did not shadow today because on of her little ones had a full blown, face turn blue tantrum that my daughter was there but a sub had her class. She was hard for my daughter to get integrated into the class to begin with and, obviously, she is attached to my daughter. They will come up with something tomorrow, because my daughter went back to her classroom. My sandwich got pretty soggy.

I just gave up and took a nap, now it is wine:30 and I am struggling to go and cook. I would totally put off cooking tonight if it wasn't for the fact that I already marinated the meat to put on the grill so it has to be cooked.

I am going to put my Super Sober "S" on be thankful that my husband is not here to pour wine before I get to the dining table.

Day 3 is a hard one, always has been, and I don't want to do it again.

OneThing
Old 05-18-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, I have to start sometime. Let's try Day 1 again.

My "S" shirt must have been in laundry. IDK, I gave in and feel rotten about it this morning.

I have to find a way to continue past the first couple of days. I had a lot yesterday, pain wise, lonely wise, feeling useful wise. That bottle of wine opened very easy and even with two glasses, not the whole bottle, I feel awful this morning.

Daughter didn't notice, didn't care and why should she? I didn't make a big declaration of sobriety. She has her own life, her own concerns. My husband didn't notice the change in my voice yesterday on the phone but he is out working hard and trying to get done to come home tomorrow.

I dumped yet another bottle of wine down the drain this morning and took out the garbage. I have physical therapy this afternoon. I know this because they twice texted me yesterday and then called. It was a bit annoying, especially since it will help very little but the step I have to take to get to the next one.

So, Day 1 again. Good thing my memory is long enough to remember this morning. I have my list and I need to be practical to what I can get done and what just won't happen right now. I also have a minor surgery on Thursday so I can't take ibuprofen, about the only thing that works for me so there is that too.

Using the Serenity Prayer may help too. I just have to accept the things that I cannot change for today. It is frustrating.

One Thing
Old 05-18-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, I have gotten past wine:30. Does having desert before dinner count? I did anyhow. Sugar seems to help with cravings so I bought daughter and I some cupcakes. I need to fix a salad for dinner.

I am tired. I am just plain old tired and I am going to accept that. I went to the new physical therapist today. Lo and Behold, he gave me a sheet of exercises that I have already been doing, Gee.... I guess there are so many exercises one can do and since I have already had 43 different visits with 2 other therapists, no one has come up with anything new. I still get to see this guy 2 times a week for the foreseeable future. If I don't, I am considered uncooperative. I will just keep up with my exercise routine.

Salad and vegging in front of the TV tonight. No drinking. I hated how I felt this morning and don't see any reason to keep that mess going.

My husband is home tomorrow afternoon, yeah. I always wake up on the mornings that he is coming home in a much brighter mood. I have never really gotten used to him being gone, but I have handled it better then this. Post pandemic life, getting used the old normal.

I sure hope everyone has good evening!
Old 05-18-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank again but glad you are back .

I think those perfect storm days are the time to really call on the support here - those days when life seems to get on top of you and you can't think clearly or easily about reasons not to drink - the folks here can help you find them

D
Old 05-19-2021, 05:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee!

I did okay yesterday, no drinking, now on to today! My husband is coming home and my list is not finished and won't be. I have to accept that. I do have limitations for the moment and I have to take it easy on myself. Tomorrow morning I have the procedure done on my back and it will put in my recliner for 2 days, at least. I am going to do what I can today and one of them is not drinking.

I do get very frustrated that I can't do the things that I want nor the the things that I used to. I especially can't do a lot to aggravate my back today because it will make the inflammation worse and harder for my doctor. I have to finish my PT exercises today, I started but had to take a break. The therapist really wants me to use my muscle relaxers too, for a little while. I doubt that will happen because they only make my muscles stiffer when they wear off. We shall see.

Today, another day sober. I have a plan. I have sweets hidden in the pantry. I am good at hiding things. My husband can't control the temptation and will eat them. He hides enough sweets as it is, diabetes is his version of alcoholism. He is not good at hiding. I find them and clear a good many out. No matter, he replaces them. He is getting better though because we finally has his sugar under control taking 3 meds and diet. His next step was heading toward insulin and he doesn't want to go there.

On with today! I may be slow, but I will get there.

One Thing
Old 05-20-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I thought I would check in, Day 2, again, is in the past now to day 3.

My husband came home just in time for supper and I had set the table, one wine glass for him. It was good, plenty of left overs in the fridge so no one has to cook tonight or run out for food. I am the only cook in the house. My daughter has no interest in cooking and is very bad because of it. She has screwed up Hamburger Helper on her own. Who does that? It is just directions you follow. I always cook from scratch but bought it the one time so she could fix it. My husband make a mean TV dinner and that is about it. Both can heat up left overs.

I only have a few more minutes before I stop sipping on my water. Back procedure #! this morning, so I doubt I will check in this afternoon. We will see. It is out patient, of course, and I will come home and sleep for a good while and then in the lounge chair till at least tomorrow afternoon. I will hurt but I can take my ibuprofen again. They never give you pain meds to take home, which is good. Florida is strict about that, which is good. Too many pill mills popped up around here. I am hearing that cancer patients have to get their meds from the hospital pharmacies. I am not sure if it is true, but it must be hard on them.

I have no idea when my second procedure will be done. The lower part of my back is so damaged he will not do it all in one day. We will see how this works. It is the first step I have to take. My husband would have rather me directly to my neuro/spine surgeon and just get it all fused together. and be done. It is something I want to avoid because so many problems are associated with that surgery, including hardware breaking. It is amazing how much one works their back.

So I am ready for day 3. Wish me luck. It can't be as bad as day 2 pain wise. I ended the day miserable because I couldn't put any heat on my back as to make it easier for the doc today.

Have a good day, everyone!

One Thing