Notices

Quitting binge drinking

Old 05-15-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I hope you give up on the idea of moderate drinking. It's next to impossible and very frustrating. I've been sober now for over 11 yrs and don't regret a minute of it.

I hope you'll take advantage of the support here to help you get sober for good.
this. To me having a few drinks is pointless as well. If I was to start to feel a bit drunk and called it a night I won’t be able to sleep my mind will be rushing and I won’t be able to stay still because I would be craving to get pissed drunk till it makes me sleep. Iv not been drunk in 5 days now, but I did have 2 shots of rum because it was what I had left in a bottle. Felt like I could just call it a day as it was getting the end of it but then as there was none left I had my coat and shoes on sitting there in silence for an hour deciding whever to go shop or not to get more. You don’t want to live like that
Old 05-15-2021, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Burra View Post
Yes, there is definitely some form of conditioning that needs to be unravelled when it comes to a drinking problem, especially if you've begun to associate it with things that are essential to life.

Without the right mindset that would be right. I plan to start moderate drinking in the future, not now though. I've avoided moderation because of choice not because it became inescapable. It's complicated and personal. Going to AA or recovery groups has never helped because it isn't anything to do with addiction. In some ways alcohol has been a good thing to me. It's complex.
To me, your reply/understanding of what I said means, you are not smelling what I am smoking.

Bottom line: What works for me, might not work for everyone...it might even hurt someone.

A Dr. is the best answer.

Prayers for you as you make your way.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If it's not an addiction, I'm guessing you will have no real problems stopping or moderating the frequency of your drinking when you want. With what are you looking for help then?
Old 05-15-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That obsession to drink never leaves. No matter what something in our minds continues to desire a drink no matter what problems has surfaced. Even as I have delt with dwi’s and currently wearing a scram that monitors any alcohol consumption, I spend time thinking if I can drink a non- alcohol beer and researching about it online. It’s just crazy! My obsession is always there and I have to check it when I wake up until the time I go to sleep. Reality is tough at times but if I want peace. I have to stay sober. I hope you can put yourself first and not try to moderate and stay sober.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Burra View Post
It's complex.
Gird yourself for the possibility that it is simpler than you currently believe.

Welcome to SR! Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toughroad1209 View Post
That obsession to drink never leaves.
I dont find that to be true for myself.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Today was especially hard not to binge drink….All the telltale triggers were in place, but I’m glad I remained sober 🙁.