Notices

Liver function test

Old 05-21-2021, 11:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Anyway, this is where I get told off 🙂

Government figures should be taken with a pinch of salt. If everyone stopped drinking, they’d be panicking over the loss of tax revenue. There’d be incentives galore to get people drinking again. What an irony.

If I had my time again, I’d drink but stick to around 14 units as that’s a sensible sort of amount (over 3 or 4 days) and wouldn’t lead to addiction

But it’s too late for that. An alcoholic friend does stick religiously to the 14 unit limit, but he’s in a state of constant craving. No thanks.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My liver test was through the roof.

However I've been advised it's not too late to have full or close to it repair so long as I stop immediately.

Having it done (although I've been constantly putting it off for fear of result) has been a huge incentive for me to quit drinking.

I encourage anyone who is worried to do the same and have the necessary scans if possible.

It may give you a reality check on your health like it did for me.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sounds scary as hell, but well done for having the test. You know what you have to do - it’s not easy but it’ll be the best thing you did.

Spare a thought for a friend of my wife’s who first ever liver test showed irreversible cirrhosis. I was heading that way and maybe you were too. We’re the lucky ones.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Had a very similar experience regarding the worry if i had damaged my liver and if i was going to say somthing to my Dr. I did admit everything to him and went over the volume i was putting away on a daily basis. I did this after managing to sober up for 2 months on my own which wasnt easy.
His response was caring and supportive and of course advised that i had to stay away from alcohol for good. My bloods came back fine and he told me i was one of the lucky one's and if i continued it might have been a different story.
So its 6 months now and still a work in progress. I do hope you talked to your doctor, its a load of stress off the mind if you are anything like me. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just to chip in.....

I was really frightened going to my GP and talking honestly about my drinking. Firstly, we are not that special and it's so common a topic for them. Mine was lovely; really supportive, gave me loads of good info and referred me to other services. Also, took all the correct tests. I say take a deep breath and go for it. It may be the start of another part of your journey and I bet there are loads of options for support you may not have been aware of x
Old 05-22-2021, 05:12 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
Had a very similar experience regarding the worry if i had damaged my liver and if i was going to say somthing to my Dr. I did admit everything to him and went over the volume i was putting away on a daily basis. I did this after managing to sober up for 2 months on my own which wasnt easy.
His response was caring and supportive and of course advised that i had to stay away from alcohol for good. My bloods came back fine and he told me i was one of the lucky one's and if i continued it might have been a different story.
So its 6 months now and still a work in progress. I do hope you talked to your doctor, its a load of stress off the mind if you are anything like me. Good luck.

Your doctor’s dead right. Pun intended. My bloods were fine, but after 8 months of sobriety a liver fibroscan was normal but on the very high end of normal. Some of the individual readings were above normal meaning some parts of my liver were too stiff or possibly scarred. I really was a year or two away from irreversible damage starting to occur.

AL, join the lucky club. Well done!
Old 05-22-2021, 06:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
It sounds pathetic but I consider getting drunk fun, I associate none drinking with being boring but then at 7.15am when I wake for work I'd taking boring every day of the week to stop myself doing it to myself. I just want a full week of my life fresh, a month fresh, a year fresh.
I totally identify with this KingEric. I can tell you that after 5 years sober life there's far more joy in life without alcohol than with. The thought process of life being boring without drinking is the lie the addiction tells you to keep you in it's clutches. I have had far more fun and happiness since I quit. Joy can be found in many more things once the can or bottle is gone.

You can do this, it takes some work but this board is monumental. I promise, better days ahead. You just have to do the work.