Notices

90 Days Today - Update

Old 05-11-2021, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paddy123

90 Days Today - Update

Hi Everyone, I've made it to 90 days poison-free...very happy with myself for reaching this milestone, my next milestone is 180 days. Currently, I'm on Zoloft 50 mg for mild depression/anxiety which is affecting my sleep, (10 days now) but I have read this will pass in a few more weeks. I also have also put on weight due to the antidepressants. With antidepressant-related fatigue, it is hard to exercise as so tired after work but try really hard, even if it's only a short 10-minute walk. I also have taken to eating dark chocolate and eat a bar a day, not good for the weight gain I know but it makes me feel good. I'm currently working in Libya and due to go home to Ireland in 3 weeks for 2 weeks leave. This will be a major test for me as all the bars will be back open again as covid restrictions are lifted. My plan is to get more involved with Family, doing school runs, visits to many different parks and places of interest. I have started back today again on Campral to help with any cravings (I stopped it when I started Antidepressants as I don't like taking too many tablets and afraid of interactions) Also, when home I will be giving my old drinking buddies a miss, I know they are all gagging for the pubs to reopen and I'm already invited for the mother of all blowouts by many. Sorry, I'm looking after myself and my family, bye-bye poison. I never want to go through the pain of these withdrawals again which I have no doubt has brought on my current depression. Yes, Alcohol is a depressant, it makes you depressed, period. Have a lovely day everyone, stay safe and poison-free
Old 05-11-2021, 01:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days Paddy. That’s such a great achievement.

I’ve had many a blow out with old mates, and it was romanticising that which proved to be my downfall and eventually brought an end to my first attempt at sobriety.

It sounds like you’ve already got a good handle on avoiding doing the same. Well done!
Old 05-11-2021, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 90 days Paddy

D
Old 05-11-2021, 02:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi tufty,
Thanks, and thanks for your reply.
Yes, I will be giving my old mates a wide berth this time and probably forever. Just not worth the pain anymore and anyway I have still too many bills to pay and bad memories from my drinking days still haunting me. I'm only in my new job for 6 weeks, I've lost 30 good jobs at least due to drinking in the past. (my wife is back and I need to mend bridges) I need to relax, settle down, chill out, enjoy my family, be happy, mend my brain and be healthy. Romanticizing indeed, two of my mates hung themselves over the problems the drink caused, both young men in their prime, both with families, very sad. I will not be another alcohol-related statistic. I think I have tried all the excuses under the sun to return to drinking sensibly and they don't work, well not for me!!. I just cannot stop once I start. When I went drinking I never knew when I would stop or where I would end up? even ended up in Montgomery Alabama from a drinking binge started in Qatar. That's another story lol...stay safe
Old 05-11-2021, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks Dee,

This is the big one, not I think this is the big one?.. It's the real big one . Happy Days, feeling Positive. Hope you well Dee, Stay safe
Old 05-11-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

90 days was an important milestone for me. Have you considered counting months from now on? I did it because I like to think of my recovery in longer timespands. The milestones don't come as often, but when they do, they pack a bigger wallop. This is not a big deal. We've had several long discussions about this here, and there is no agreement about what is right. But congratulations on 90 says. Er that is 3 months. Well, at least months of September, April, June, and November, except on leap years. OK, just forget it. 90 days is just fine.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 months. In my first year of recovery I ate a ton of dark chocolate and I still eat it every day. I drank a lot of soda's too. If the medication helps you stay clear of alcohol, I would consider it an excellent recovery tool.

Here in year 2, I'm finding some balance. I don't need to worry about changing things up now because change doesn't send me to the bottle!

3 months is a huge milestone. Like you say, this IS the big one. Never look back.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Thanks DriGuy,

I never really thought about it, but you have a point. I find the days handy as I fill in a daily diary on my alcohol-free day's progress. It's like therapy for me every morning But yes, I felt it was a big milestone 3 Months (or 90 days) I'm just happy I'm over the hump of that specific time period of a quarter of a year lol hahahahhahhahaa thats a 1/4 of a year
Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days!
Old 05-11-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddy123 View Post
Hi Everyone, I've made it to 90 days poison-free...very happy with myself for reaching this milestone, my next milestone is 180 days. Currently, I'm on Zoloft 50 mg for mild depression/anxiety which is affecting my sleep, (10 days now) but I have read this will pass in a few more weeks. I also have also put on weight due to the antidepressants. With antidepressant-related fatigue, it is hard to exercise as so tired after work but try really hard, even if it's only a short 10-minute walk. I also have taken to eating dark chocolate and eat a bar a day, not good for the weight gain I know but it makes me feel good. I'm currently working in Libya and due to go home to Ireland in 3 weeks for 2 weeks leave. This will be a major test for me as all the bars will be back open again as covid restrictions are lifted. My plan is to get more involved with Family, doing school runs, visits to many different parks and places of interest. I have started back today again on Campral to help with any cravings (I stopped it when I started Antidepressants as I don't like taking too many tablets and afraid of interactions) Also, when home I will be giving my old drinking buddies a miss, I know they are all gagging for the pubs to reopen and I'm already invited for the mother of all blowouts by many. Sorry, I'm looking after myself and my family, bye-bye poison. I never want to go through the pain of these withdrawals again which I have no doubt has brought on my current depression. Yes, Alcohol is a depressant, it makes you depressed, period. Have a lovely day everyone, stay safe and poison-free
congratulations Paddy.. how are you finding Campral.
Does it help.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brilliant Paddy! Well done
Old 05-11-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats Paddy!! I hear ya on not wanting to go back to the nightmare withdrawals…Me Either!! Keep the push going and yeah things do indeed get better…I was skeptical at first but I realized, the further along I got into sobriety, the better things in fact did get

Hang in there though for the challenging times that come…
Old 05-11-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats and great work!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 05-11-2021, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your fab 90 day milestone Paddy,
Old 05-11-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days Paddy.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days sober!
Old 05-11-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy, you need to keep your mates back home, so just tell them you’ve stopped drinking forever for health reasons. It worked for me. They all understood and if anything are a little envious.

I once brought my wife along to an all day session with my drinking pals. In their defence, they “only” drink heavily every few months, so whilst that’s unhealthy binge drinking, I drank a lot every day. However, on the occasion I brought my wife along - it was up in Newcastle, a nice place - I’d cut right down. So I’d have a beer and wander off to a market whilst my mates had a few beers more. Then I have another beer and go off elsewhere whilst my mates had even more. My wife has never drank and didn’t get that drinking mentality. They’re still my mates - they’re not alcoholics and don’t really drink except for those binges. But they know I’ve now quit. They had no idea I was dependent and agreed that I should quit. I still meet up with them but I arrive late, go early and wander off in between. I also hate myself for saying this - my wife agrees - they’re looking worse for wear
Old 05-11-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
90 days was an important milestone for me. Have you considered counting months from now on? I did it because I like to think of my recovery in longer timespands. The milestones don't come as often, but when they do, they pack a bigger wallop. This is not a big deal. We've had several long discussions about this here, and there is no agreement about what is right. But congratulations on 90 says. Er that is 3 months. Well, at least months of September, April, June, and November, except on leap years. OK, just forget it. 90 days is just fine.
Thirty days hath September
Old 05-11-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

90 days of sobriety is great, Paddy. And, yes, I think planning ahead with personal and family activities and stepping back from some friendships, at least temporarily, are all good ideas.