Notices

My low brought me here

Old 05-12-2021, 06:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JustShowUp View Post
Is divorce the only option? Am I a complete fool for thinking/imagining otherwise?
I wasn't married, and I was the alcoholic in my relationship, but as much as I wanted the violence to be a one off, it wasn't.

No one here can tell you what to do, but most of the folks here are speaking from the other end of the journey.
D
Old 05-12-2021, 07:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Self respect and self love are crucial.

I can only speak for myself here......

If anyone physically assaulted me while under the influence or not they would be removed from my life. There is no grey area. I would not be with someone who cannot control their emotions and turns to violence. It doesn't matter if I love the person or the person loves me. I love myself more and I will not be abused. There are not any excuses or apologies. That behavior is unacceptable and it is my responsibility to myself and for my safety to remove myself from an abusive situation.

Be a friend to yourself and protect yourself. Would you tell your friend to stay in a relationship that was physically abusive?

Old 05-13-2021, 05:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Is divorce the only option? Am I a complete fool for thinking/imagining otherwise?

Once someone takes a hand to me in anger - it's over.

I mentioned before that I was in two relationships that turned physically violent. It is now an immediate deal-breaker for me. The first one I thought it was a one-off thing and he was so apologetic, but it wasn't just the one time and I ended up hospitalized before I got smart. I was only 19, so I was pretty naive.

Your life may be in danger. Up to you how far you wish to push it.

My next door neighbor (in an affluent neighborhood in Palm Beach) growing up was a girl a couple years older than me. A few years back her estranged husband showed up while she was out by her pool and he shot her.

Be careful.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sadly, yes and yes.