Notices

Need help

Old 05-09-2021, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

I’m not very good at this sort of thing. I just need help to stop drinking and talk to people that also want to stop and people that have stopped. I drink to get very drunk till I literally pass out, it used to be for a rush but Iv learned that the rush isn’t there and getting very drunk is not as exciting as you think it will be. I also drink to relax and out of boredom. Iv started drink on work nights which I swore to myself I would never do. Going into work where your body and mind has to have more sleep to recover but you can’t because your in work feels like hell. It’s not unusual for me to drink a whole 700ml bottle of whiskey or close to that in one night. Iv tried to limit alcohol to maybe 4 double shot of whiskey, rum or whatever but I always want more and it takes me ages now to start to feel drunk
Old 05-09-2021, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Disser

I moved your post to this forum. You'll get more response here

A lot of us found our drinking getting worse and a lot of us tried cutting back and failed.

Not drinking at all have worked out great for me. I got my life back

You'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 05-10-2021, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reid!!
I drank everyday for over 30 years. I quit. You can to.
I've been to work barely functional more times than I can count.
It is hell.
Hangovers period are hell.

No need for them. You never have to suffer through another.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Hope you'll read around the site. See what other people did to succeed. See what failed for those who struggled to quit and stay quit. And lean on us when you need support.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We have been there and there IS a better way. Breaking the cycle of addiction is not easy but many of us have done it and you can too.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Disser. Sounds like it is time to quit, if for no other reasons, for your health and your job. Things go downhill from where you are if you keep drinking. That vicious daily cycle you are in can be over for good and you can live a peaceful, healthy and quiet life.

By the way, your warm-up of four double shots of whisky - your attempt at moderation - is still a highly dangerous daily intake of alcohol.

Take your best life back give recovery and health an honest effort.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

How hard have you tried to quit up to now?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Disser. Alcoholism always worsens unless we stop drinking completely. You will find lots of support here as you begin. Try to come up with a plan that will work for you.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey Disser....I just got chills thinking about how many times I have had to work with not enough sleep and a terrible hangover. It is the absolute pits and I really feel for you. I used to get that 2am ping awake and would lie there the rest of the night, exhausted and freaking out.

You are among friends and there are folks who have quit and folks (like me) still in the early days but also have quit! Welcome
Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Disser View Post
I’m not very good at this sort of thing. I just need help to stop drinking and talk to people that also want to stop and people that have stopped. I [used to] drink to get very drunk till I literally passed out, it used to be for a rush but Iv learned that the rush wasn’t there and getting very drunk was not as exciting as you thought it would be. I also [used to] drink to relax and out of boredom. I had started to drink on work nights which I swore to myself I would never do. Going into work where your body and mind has to have more sleep to recover but you can’t because your in work felt like hell. It was not unusual for me to drink a whole 700ml bottle of whiskey or close to that in one night. I [used to] try to limit alcohol to maybe 4 double shot of whiskey, rum or whatever but I always wanted more and it took me ages then to start to feel drunk
I’ve altered your post here to give you an opportunity to recognize the part of yourself that wants and needs you to keep this problem you have in the PRESENT TENSE, like it’s still going to be happening in the future no matter what. It also gives you the opportunity to feel how DIFFERENT it feels when you actually put this horribly bad habit that we all have had into the PAST.

Recognizing these two ways of looking at your problem within yourself is part of how to beat it.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies
i feel really determined to do this to be honest. I lift weights doing powerlifting my performance has dropped way down for past 2 years or so since my drinking got bad and I’m determined to get back where I was in weightlifting. I didn’t drink last night but even so I still that got wobbly walking that you get from a bad hangover when walking outside, tried the gym today and only did 10 minutes then left, Iv read alcohol blocks calcium in your muscles so they don’t contract. I’m just so bored and lonely, I guess a lot of people drink for that reason aswell. I need to fill that void with targets and goals
Old 05-11-2021, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
How hard have you tried to quit up to now?
keep trying but failing I have quit for 2 weeks before though but then I just drank even more than I did after that
Old 05-11-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Even now I’m getting a feeling ah why not just have a few shots to relax but it’s never a few shots it’s always a bottle
Old 05-11-2021, 03:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I think about it now the journey is mad. I never drank alcohol since till I was 28 I hated the taste of it. If I drink which would be rarely and I would reluctantly do because it’s a birthday party or New Years or whatever it would just be a pint of Guinness sometimes I would leave some. Then after 28 I noticed that when I drink the pint quickly I feel relaxed afterwards. So I started to mix Pepsi with whiskey because I like Pepsi I drink it often so I thought it would be nice and it would relax me. I think that was the best time I had with alcohol it would be 3 nights a week with 1 or 2 shots of whiskey at night playing a video game and it would take me a while to drink and would relax me. After a year of that I don’t know what happened it just happened so fast where I would just get pissed for the thrill and rush, I would go out by myself to pubs night clubs and not remember anything the next morning. Till where we are now where even I don’t want to drink I’ll do it anyway because it’s sometimes hard for to sleep sober like I’m unsatisfied
Old 05-11-2021, 03:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh and the money Iv spent on alcohol is brutal lol
Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep, it's not a problem until it is a problem.
Time to solve that problem.

There is no understanding what makes us this way. But we do know how to stop being this way.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Disser. Alcohol affects every part of our minds and bodies. I’m 46 and I drank a lot every day for years. I ended up losing a lot of muscle. But 16 months into sobriety and that has reversed.

you have nothing to lose by being sober. Alcohol will take everything.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Yep, it's not a problem until it is a problem. Time to solve that problem. There is no understanding what makes us this way. But we do know how to stop being this way.
I’m not very good at this sort of thing. I just need help to stop drinking and talk to people that also want to stop and people that have stopped. I drink to get very drunk till I literally pass out, it used to be for a rush but Iv learned that the rush isn’t there and getting very drunk is not as exciting as you think it will be. I also drink to relax and out of boredom. Iv started drink on work nights which I swore to myself I would never do. Going into work where your body and mind has to have more sleep to recover but you can’t because your in work feels like hell. It’s not unusual for me to drink a whole 700ml bottle of whiskey or close to that in one night. Iv tried to limit alcohol to maybe 4 double shot of whiskey, rum or whatever but I always want more and it takes me ages now to start to feel drunk
The mechanics of this thing sound similar to what happened to me. Drinking starts out being satisfying, but after a few years, that satisfying buzz goes away. You end up still drinking for the high that no longer comes and start drinking yourself into oblivion just to quell the nasty jitters and obsessive cravings caused by the addiction that comes from such an innocent beginning.

You now face some choices that seem hard to you right now. Later you will wonder why you thought it would be hard. OK, OK, it's hard at the beginning, the first couple of weeks can be very hard.

You may have to experiment to see if you can get your drinking under control. Everyone here has done that at some point and have tried to prove they could drink like a normal lightweight. It's a waste of time. Alcoholics can never do that. There is the occasional snake oil web site that says they can teach you how. Run from them as fast as you can. They are preying on your fantasy of moderate drinking, which you already know you can't do. At least you know that is true for now. Eventually you must accept that moderate drinking will never be in your future.

You're going to have to commit to never drinking again, and then hang onto your chair for a week or two until your urges abate. This actually happens. It's not magic. It's your body's physical response to initial withdrawal, followed by no more need for alcohol.

Well there still will be a need, not physical, but just your brain reacting to the absence of alcohol. You have actually trained your brain to think alcohol is necessary in your life. But un-trainning takes time. Don't stop after a week or two thinking you've done well and you can take a break from sobriety. You'll be a drunk again in a couple of days, maybe longer, and you will have to start over and go through the beginning all over again.

There's more, with lots of tricks to learn along the way, which people here will help you with. But this is where you start. I think it's the hardest part. The next steps also take serious effort, but they are a lot more fun to learn.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

keep trying but failing I have quit for 2 weeks before though but then I just drank even more than I did after that
ok, plan to do the two weeks again, but before the two weeks is up, keep posting here and you can learn how to extend that out for longer, and longer, and longer.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I could not stop drinking till I fully embraced the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Feel free to PM me if you want to hear more about that.

FWIW, here is a relevant passage from A.A.'s basic text:

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet.