Notices

Need help

Old 05-20-2021, 04:14 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, I think you have to add some enjoyable things to your life, too. If you do nothing but work it could cause resentment.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:51 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
And, I think you have to add some enjoyable things to your life, too. If you do nothing but work it could cause resentment.
I’m going to be travelling, going cinemas, cafes all the things I used to do before I started spending all my money on alcohol
Old 05-22-2021, 02:55 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

So Iv now confirmed I’m going to stop. I’m having withdrawal symptoms. I’m not having it, this isn’t they way I’m supposed to be. The tremors I’m having are embarrassing, can hardly lift my head up around people. I’m loosing my balance and I’m dazed and confused like I’m drunk. I’m off work tomorrow so this would have been a must to drink tonight but I’m already excited to play video games have takeaway then go sleep at a decent time so I can wake up early tomorrow to go gym and eat breakfast in a cafe.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

The thing with alcoholism is it always gets worse, never better. It looks like you are realizing this in pretty short order. Starting and stopping over and over is hard on the body. Withdrawals can be dangerous, so please keep an eye on severe symptoms and get to an emergency room if needed.

Have you considered outpatient, or inpatient treatment? Maybe even AA? No one really WANTS to go to AA at first, but it can help, especially in the beginning.

I'm pulling for you Disser. You can have a much better life that is free of alcohol. Keep posting. I'm glad you are here.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Really good decision, Disser.

The first week is pretty miserable. Don't Pick Up A Drink, No Matter What.

I also went to AA meetings every day in the first few months. It was helpful. Posting and reading on this site was really my salvation.

I listened to quiet classical music on Pandora. Ate good food. After that first week I committed to getting outside for a walk in Nature every day. That helped with the physical and spiritual healing.

You can do it.

It was mentioned above that repeated withdrawals and then drinking again can be even more dangerous. Here's the NIH article on that (Kindling)

NIH Article Kindling
Old 05-22-2021, 10:13 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Disser - You sound disgusted & ready to reclaim your life. We know you can. Let us know how it's going.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:15 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

On my 5th day of not drinking but yesterday I couldn’t sleep at all had about 3 hours sleep. It was like I was craving to pass out from alcohol to sleep. Feel like tonight feels the same now that I’m recovered from the last time I drank. I live near a 24hour petrol station that sells alcohol so that doesn’t help but I feel my mind is set, my will is like iron, I don’t want to drink, I just want to sleep early and wake up with a good amount of sleep tomorrow
Old 05-24-2021, 02:21 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Libby06 View Post
The thing with alcoholism is it always gets worse, never better. It looks like you are realizing this in pretty short order. Starting and stopping over and over is hard on the body. Withdrawals can be dangerous, so please keep an eye on severe symptoms and get to an emergency room if needed.

Have you considered outpatient, or inpatient treatment? Maybe even AA? No one really WANTS to go to AA at first, but it can help, especially in the beginning.

I'm pulling for you Disser. You can have a much better life that is free of alcohol. Keep posting. I'm glad you are here.
I have considered AA yes but I’m shy haha sounds hard for me to do being in a room of people I don’t know. Also I just don’t think I’m there yet I keep thinking that I can control my drinking I’m not an addictive person in nature not until 2 years ago, now I’m addicted to alcohol and caffeine, I drink loads of coffee throughout the day because I always feel tired at work, now I can’t go an hour without coffee (when I’m at work though)
Old 05-24-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of meetings are on Zoom now - you could just sit there camera and mike off.

I'm not particularly pushing AA - lot of meeting based methods are on Zoom now...but you must be at, or very near, the point where you realise you can't control your drinking Disser?

The posts you've made after drinking don't sound like fun to me, and generally the progression goes from bad to worse if we keep drinking..

D
Old 05-24-2021, 09:26 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

You absolutely can quit. This disease likes to make you believe you can't, but you can. I drank, heavy, darn near every day for 23 yes or so. I finally hit rock, rock bottom (not recommended) and I asked Jesus to let me die or help me stop drinking. And here I am.

One thing that helped immensely was remembering that as long as I did not have that first sip, I would be ok. And that giving into that first drink would forfeit my control of the entire situation. I used to trick myself into believing I could still just have a drink or two (or three or four!) But that theory was proven wrong many times. However I learned that not picking up at all, ensured I would not get drunk.

And I actually had a lot of fun sampling new and exotic teas, pops and coffees. Seriously I drank anything non alcoholic that I wanted, and still lost 50 pds.

I found that starting with this one small step, was not nearly as overwhelming as the idea that I would have to change my whole life. And I have messed up by not going to meetings, but I still have not picked up since 2016 except for one relapse one year ago.

Writing this makes me realize what a miracle it is that I'm here and not drinking. So thank you for posting. Get help, get support and get well. But most importantly, don't pick up. Not even once! 😊
Old 05-26-2021, 01:48 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

So last night I drank unfortunately. But something odd happened I didn’t drink anywhere near that I would do and poured myself another drink when I got home and I took a sip of it then rejected it. I’m looking at the glass full of alcohol right now from last night and I can’t believe I rejected it. It wasn’t because I was to drunk. The taste of alcohol was disgusting to me last night and I’m just so tired and exhausted of the pattern of being pissed drunk and recovering from hangover from it. There’s nothing to be gained when drunk, it doesn’t get you sex or a partner or money or a better job or a holiday, the only thing it brings you is negativity. Sure it’s fun when your new to alcohol or drink here and there but for me the experience is rubbish now. I was proud I got to 6 days without drinking and the only reason why I drank last night was because I forced myself to because I wanted to go cinema, I do things on my own so I use alcohol to make me less nervous. I didn’t drink like I was looking forward to it. I just see alcohol as a negative experience now that I think I can beet it.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:55 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the revulsion stays with you permanently but I'm afraid it didn't with me - If anything it helped me rationalise I might be a one or two drink drinker now...

I was not.

I like to be positive here but its important to be realistic too.

If you're using alcohol to get the courage up to do things, it's probably going to eat at you to drink again at some point Disser.
I'd be ready for it,. just in case?

D
Old 05-26-2021, 04:14 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

You have reached the point where you realize Alcohol is a problem. Do everything you can to get sober. You life will get much better.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:13 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

The more you do things sober the easier they become.
Face your fears. You will see there is nothing to fear.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Disser?

D
Old 06-03-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hows it going Disser?

D
hi thanks for asking. I did well but I drank a few days ago. I made another post about it
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yesterday I wanted to drink but today wow I can’t hardly bare it. It’s like when you hungry but your not allowed to eat. Don’t why it’s particularly bad these past 2 days. It’s been on my mind for hours wether to get alcohol today. I have to stay strong but I can’t seem to distract myself from the thought of drinking it
Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry you are struggling but have to ask what are you doing to combat the thoughts?

Any urge or craving I get gets immediately shut down.

The longer you give the AV head space the weaker you will become.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:42 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Sorry you are struggling but have to ask what are you doing to combat the thoughts?

Any urge or craving I get gets immediately shut down.

The longer you give the AV head space the weaker you will become.
the urge has died down because I’m going to go get junk food. My diets always healthy but it’s beating the alcohol craving and watch a film. Also Iv been thinking about the injuries that Iv had from gym not healing if I drink alcohol
Old 06-09-2021, 11:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

The drinking won't do anything but bring you down man....Maybe try staying busy Washing dishes, cleaning the house, doing laundry, detailing the car, yard work etc....