Notices

Old Behaviors

Old 05-08-2021, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Old Behaviors

Hey all, hope you're enjoying this beautiful weekend. It has been beautiful here, at least. Sunny skies with a bit of wind and clouds. When I was drinking, it would've been a perfect day to day-drink. But then again, so was every other type of day! I think back on it, and it's not that far back to think on, and I'm starting to realize just how sick I was. I'm grasping the idea of alcoholism as a disease. I haven't quite gotten it completely, the idea of it, but I am working on it.
This morning, as I was drinking coffee and reading the news some on the computer, an old friend popped up in Facebook Messenger. We have drank together in the past. Partied. Gotten wild. He told me that he recently had four months sober, but drinks occasionally now. That he would never drink around me. He asked if we could meet up soon to catch up. My mind immediately went to fishing trips to the coast, and I began looking up airplane tickets down to the gulf. I was looking up places to stay, and things to do while we're there. Am I crazy? That's rhetorical. Wow... I'm now imagining flying down there with an old friend who I've drank so much alcohol with, I can't remember most of the things we've done. I'm imagining being down there and laying on the beach, relaxing in the sun. Finding a fishing charter and catching some beautiful, amazing looking fish. Eating delicious seafood and chatting for hours.
BUT YEAH RIGHT!!!!??? Am I out of my mind? What am I even thinking of going on that trip for? It was impulsive to even begin to look up the price of airline tickets!
I've been sober for just over 70 days now, and for whatever reason, I thought I'd be perfectly safe from my desire to drink down in the gulf of Florida, with an old friend who all I've done with is drink and get drunk.
This disease really is something baffling.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can cut yourself some slack. You thought it through and came to the right decision not to indulge the idea. That is a good outcome 😁
Old 05-08-2021, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WindPines;[url=tel:7633576
7633576[/url]]Hey all, hope you're enjoying this beautiful weekend. It has been beautiful here, at least. Sunny skies with a bit of wind and clouds. When I was drinking, it would've been a perfect day to day-drink. But then again, so was every other type of day! I think back on it, and it's not that far back to think on, and I'm starting to realize just how sick I was. I'm grasping the idea of alcoholism as a disease. I haven't quite gotten it completely, the idea of it, but I am working on it.
This morning, as I was drinking coffee and reading the news some on the computer, an old friend popped up in Facebook Messenger. We have drank together in the past. Partied. Gotten wild. He told me that he recently had four months sober, but drinks occasionally now. That he would never drink around me. He asked if we could meet up soon to catch up. My mind immediately went to fishing trips to the coast, and I began looking up airplane tickets down to the gulf. I was looking up places to stay, and things to do while we're there. Am I crazy? That's rhetorical. Wow... I'm now imagining flying down there with an old friend who I've drank so much alcohol with, I can't remember most of the things we've done. I'm imagining being down there and laying on the beach, relaxing in the sun. Finding a fishing charter and catching some beautiful, amazing looking fish. Eating delicious seafood and chatting for hours.
BUT YEAH RIGHT!!!!??? Am I out of my mind? What am I even thinking of going on that trip for? It was impulsive to even begin to look up the price of airline tickets!
I've been sober for just over 70 days now, and for whatever reason, I thought I'd be perfectly safe from my desire to drink down in the gulf of Florida, with an old friend who all I've done with is drink and get drunk.
This disease really is something baffling.
There are times when I catch up to my old Navy drinking buddies from the distant past, who…yes…wanna meet and play catchup over…you guessed it…BEER!! Sitting down reminiscing over the fun times we had while drinking in foreign ports would all we’d have to talk about…And it would for sure be while…drinking ….

I tell this because I can totally relate and understand how you feel.

Sobriety has changed us for the better…I can only hope I can continue to stay that way…I know I never wanna go back to the hellish withdrawals that occured as I got older, and the reason I finally quit drinking, but I still can’t say for sure what temptations will come my way…as long as we stay the course of sobriety we can only get better.

Hang in there! Im sure you’ll be okay! Stay here and chat awhile 😊

Old 05-09-2021, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good call on that one Wind Pines.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made a good choice.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you made the right decision. You have to always be on guard. In December 2019 I went to a wedding and I was really antsy, but at the end of the night when people were really drunk I was pretty happy to get the heck out of there. It wasn’t a pretty scene for some and going from it would be nice to have a few beers to i’m So glad i’m Not that messed up drunk was pretty interesting.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I relate to this, similar things happen quite often in my mind, and some do turn into potentially dangerous interactions and fantasies. A post I made today titled "Euphoric Recall" relates to this. Always great to catch it in time and a big relief. I also sometimes find that I need to go against the grain quite a bit as others occasionally try to convince me that it is indeed benign... may be for them, not for me. Good reason to always think for ourselves and not to listen to impulse, whether it's our own impulse or someone else's .
Old 05-13-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Without your issues with alcohol that trip would sound absolutely amazing to most people. Congrats on doing so well.