Notices

Sobriety

Old 05-08-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love that analogy and picture too, bimini .

Was also just reflecting on my own timeline and progress this morning. I personally didn't have the mood-type emotional issues and fluctuations (probably I'm just not too prone to that in general), but definitely relate to the first month being hellish. I only register this again now, that it's behind me after my relapse... my issue is always the almost constant, super intense, persistent cravings for alcohol. Don't know why I get these (I think we all just have out won backgrounds) and it doesn't matter now, but those cravings for me are like an alternate reality. It took about a month first time for those to subside noticeably, and same again (even worse) after a relapse that involved three binges only... crazy! Reflecting back on these things definitely helps to strengthen the determination to never, ever pick up again, who the hell wants to go through that one more time! Thanks for posting this again, it helped me with the reflection, because I was trying to avoid even thinking about my sober time at all cost, and now I see again that it's helpful.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mizz, that’s a great timeline.

I had a deep feeling of despair in the first couple of weeks. I thought that daily feeling of anxiety which was wine o’clock for me would come every evening for life. Then I read somewhere that quitting alcohol was harder than cocaine (caveat: this was just a comment on a website). My prospects of quitting back then weren’t good, but slowly the feelings subside.

The only differences between that and numerous previous occasions were I knew I had to quit and not moderate (impossible for anyone dependent on alcohol) and not little “rewards”.

I also know I’d be back to a bottle of wine a night within a fortnight if I drank again. Dead certainty, pun intended.

Glad you’re doing well, Mizz 🙂