Notices

Fatigue and Mood

Old 05-04-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatigue and Mood

What are some good ways to combat fatigue and enhance mood in early days of recovery? I’m sleeping 100% percent better but still wake up feeling tired. Eating a fairly healthy diet, besides the after dinner desserts lol.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think low energy is very common in the first few days/weeks. Maybe eat the desserts earlier in the day? Lots of carbs and blood sugar fluctuation can disturb sleep even if you sleep through the night better than before. For me, the best energy and mood booster is exercise and being productive. Maybe get a comprehensive physical with bloodwork if you haven't had one for a while, it can potentially detect specific physiology that can be improved.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My personal experience was that I needed a bit more sleep and more rest in the early days.
Some days I would get off work and put myself to bed.

Exercise does combat fatigue.
I take a multiple and extra B vitamins
I also rest when I truly need it.

Things will improve. Its guaranteed.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Fatigue is a mood killer. So rest is important, and not over extending yourself in those early days and weeks.

As for enhancing one's mood, I knew when I quit that I was taking away my go-to mood enhancer, alcohol, and that I was going to have to suffer through some low spots. Things improved with time. And you know what they say: Time takes time.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exercise and meditation and sleep and mediation and exercise.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Fatigue is a mood killer. So rest is important, and not over extending yourself in those early days and weeks.

As for enhancing one's mood, I knew when I quit that I was taking away my go-to mood enhancer, alcohol, and that I was going to have to suffer through some low spots. Things improved with time. And you know what they say: Time takes time.
Exactly! I love what you wrote "taking away your go to mood enhancer" I NEED to remember this. It is normal to feel off and fatigued. I Know that others times i tried to quit i always thought, "darn I'm so tired, if i just had something to perk me up" And guess what? Yep i went back to the drink because it SEEMS to perk me up for a time being but then i crash 100 times worse again!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very fatigued my first 30 days. I think it comes with the territory. We can underestimate the toll our drinking does on mind and body.

I wanted to be fixed, feeling good, well and healthy NOW - but now looking back I can see how that mindset got me into trouble all those years....

A good diet rest a little light exercise, time and patience will see you right both on the fatigue and the mood swings.

D
Old 05-05-2021, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I used to take naps all the time. I was very inactive when drinking and still fairly inactive unless I am actually going to the gym/exercising.

Like others have said, the mind and body are healing. I am still healing after all my time clean.

I am guessing you haven't relapsed a whole bunch, knowing/unknowingly, because your physical/mental recovery we pretty quick.

Each relapse seems to make recovery more and more difficult with added difficulty if the addict relapsed while on meds.

Be on the look out for your addiction to trick you into relapse because this bounce back seemed easy. The mental addiction is for life. The addiction is a double edge sword because it also gets us to relapse when the recovery is harder. It gets us thinking, I am so messed up now why even bother quitting.

The mind will do anything to get the fix. This continues today for me. I still have craves.

If you feel tired, rest more, eat some super healthy stuff (spinach, blue berries etc), and try to work out a bunch. I found that I had more energy then my mind was telling me because I was used to being low energy from being drunk all the time.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mood and energy level are tough nuts to crack in early recovery. The only constant in my case is that every single time I move and get something done like a chore or a workout or some sort of activity like cooking, my mood and energy level improve. Admittedly early on in my recovery that often meant feeling somewhat crappy rather than really crappy, but the improvement was always there. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Naps in the afternoon, plenty fresh air and time. It will keep getting better but just takes a while x
Old 05-06-2021, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Jillian

D