Notices

Thought I'd give this forum a shot

Old 05-03-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks @CBS62 for the advice and links. I really appreciate it and will check them out
Old 05-03-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Go champion Just wanted to encourage you. It's never late to stop
Old 05-03-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Velvetee View Post
Go champion Just wanted to encourage you. It's never late to stop
Thank you so much!
Old 05-03-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TroubleAfoot - We're so glad to have you with us. No one understands like your fellow alcoholics. My family & friends were all social drinkers - they didn't get why I couldn't just have 'a few' now and then.

I drank 30 yrs. & was completely dependent on it to get through the day by the time I quit. I also had dui's, health issues - it was never fun or relaxing any more. It had become a necessity & it was killing me. I wasn't sure what SR could possibly do for me. Turns out, not feeling alone anymore meant everything. We're here to support & encourage you. Congrats on your Day 1.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroubleAfoot View Post
Thanks for the encouragement @fishkiller . I was super hesitant to join this group but I'm sure glad I did. The support has already been incredible. It takes time to be on here, and read and comment, but hearing other's stories, and learning from them, encourages me and reminds me why I don't want to drink. And, sharing my stories, which I have already done a little on other's posts, reminds me of the pain drinking has caused me and, again, why I don't want to drink anymore. I just shared a story about my 2nd DUI, with another who just go his 3rd, and I started to tear up just thinking about what a hopelessly miserable time it was for me. I don't need that kind of stuff in my life anymore.
It's is well worth the spending that time here.

I WILL NOT DRINK AGAIN. EVER.

Thanks again. I have read a little about AVRT and it really appeals to me. What does SR stand for?
Yep SR = Sober Recovery

I spent hours and hours here in the beginning and still do sometimes. Definitely time well spent.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Yep SR = Sober Recovery

I spent hours and hours here in the beginning and still do sometimes. Definitely time well spent.
"SR = Sober Recovery" Ahhhh. Of course!
At this point, on my day 2, I'm literally, already, addicted to being on here. It's a good addiction.

I decided today that I should start putting this out there with my friends, to reinforce the commitment, so I told a really close one I am quitting for good. We talk often and she knows I have a drinking problem and, since she doesn't drink, has my back more than anyone on this. Especially since she wishes her husband, also a close friend (and drinking buddy of mine) would also quit drinking. He's a good guy and isn't abusive towards her or anything but he's had a few bad issues with it that were concerning. She's a good ally to have because we are often at the same social functions our friend group has and, during my previous sober stints, once the parties really got started she would be my sober hangout buddy.
I have to say the quitting is a lot more intimidating this time. Previous attempts were always open ended. I would always tell people "well I'm probably not quitting for good. I'll probably drink again" but this time I am going all in, for the long haul, until I'm buried a happy man because he quit drinking, and finally got his s--- together for the last 25 or 30 years of his life.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family TA! Glad you joined us. I got sober with the help of SR and it helps me stay sober too. Over 11 yrs now and I don't regret a minute of it and don't miss drinking at all.

Come here often to read and post. The support here is fantastic.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family TA! Glad you joined us. I got sober with the help of SR and it helps me stay sober too. Over 11 yrs now and I don't regret a minute of it and don't miss drinking at all.

Come here often to read and post. The support here is fantastic.
Thanks least! I plan on being here a lot.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi TroubleAFoot, I'm the same age and suffer from the same aches and pains. I have been sober for 3.5 years thanks to AVRT and this site. I tried many times before I realised that I simply had to admit to myself that I couldn't drink safely and had to give up for good. My life has opened up so much since I quit; I mean that I enjoy the simple things, have rekindled friendships, taken up sport I used to enjoy as a kid, far improved relationships with family, lost weight, look better, etc. It can be done and this site is a great foundation. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
TroubleAfoot - We're so glad to have you with us. No one understands like your fellow alcoholics. My family & friends were all social drinkers - they didn't get why I couldn't just have 'a few' now and then.

I drank 30 yrs. & was completely dependent on it to get through the day by the time I quit. I also had dui's, health issues - it was never fun or relaxing any more. It had become a necessity & it was killing me. I wasn't sure what SR could possibly do for me. Turns out, not feeling alone anymore meant everything. We're here to support & encourage you. Congrats on your Day 1.
Originally Posted by b0glerd69 View Post
Hi TroubleAFoot, I'm the same age and suffer from the same aches and pains. I have been sober for 3.5 years thanks to AVRT and this site. I tried many times before I realised that I simply had to admit to myself that I couldn't drink safely and had to give up for good. My life has opened up so much since I quit; I mean that I enjoy the simple things, have rekindled friendships, taken up sport I used to enjoy as a kid, far improved relationships with family, lost weight, look better, etc. It can be done and this site is a great foundation. Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the insights! I hear what both of you are saying and can totally relate. I have several friends who can socially drink. They can have a drink, or two, and then stop and go days or weeks without drinking and, maybe once a month, they'll actually get pretty intoxicated. A year's worth of drinking, for them, is like 3 or 4 weeks of mine. I envy them but that's what it is for me. I could never do that as much as I tried.

I can't wait for the health problems to go away. I'm on day 4 and my kidneys still hurt, my feet ache (probably neuropathy), and I'm pretty sure I can feel my liver. During previous attempts at sobriety this stuff has gone away and I hope it does again. I hope I haven't crossed into any permanent damage territory. I'll have to wait and see. Also my right collarbone is really sore and I just know it's because I must have fallen down while inebriated, on one of my last days of drinking, because there was nothing dramatic that happened while I was sober. Geez how stupid right? The things we do to ourselves, the painful things, from getting drunk.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Quitting forever is intimidating, but it's worth it. I think your health issues will improve before too long. I relate to the bumps and bruises and not knowing where they came from. But, you won't have to worry about that anymore.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Quitting forever is intimidating, but it's worth it. I think your health issues will improve before too long. I relate to the bumps and bruises and not knowing where they came from. But, you won't have to worry about that anymore.
Ha right!? For a few years I had this drinking buddy. She ended up being so toxic I had to cut her loose even while I was still drinking. But, anyways, we'd go drinking, day after day, and sometimes we'd compare bruises after we'd been together the entire time during a drinking session:

"Hey how did I get this bruise on my bicep?" I asked her one day, showing her my arm.

"I don't know," she replied. She then pulled her shorts up her thigh, on her right leg, and said "how did I get this bruise on my thigh?"

I don't know," I responded. We thought it was funny, at the time, and I suppose it was in a sad kind of way. Sad but that's how alcoholics find humor within their own troubled lives.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Welcome TA!

This group is fabulous! So very wonderful and supportive!! I’m 43 and on day 17 of my sobriety! You can do this! Like others have said post when you need support, read posts as you never know where a nugget of info will be! I log in multiple times during the day even if I’m at work. Even if I can t respond just reading and being here gives me the motivation I need to walk past that wine aisle x
Old 05-05-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jo43 View Post
Welcome TA!

This group is fabulous! So very wonderful and supportive!! I’m 43 and on day 17 of my sobriety! You can do this! Like others have said post when you need support, read posts as you never know where a nugget of info will be! I log in multiple times during the day even if I’m at work. Even if I can t respond just reading and being here gives me the motivation I need to walk past that wine aisle x
Thanks Joe! We can do it!