Notices

Well. Never expected to be here

Old 04-30-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Woke up at 3am and decided I cannot keep drinking. My father quit when he was about my age (50-ish). I knew he had a problem. I didn’t. Ha. I’m sick of the time wasted on bar stools. Sick of wondering if I said anything stupid. Sick of anxiety attacks at 3am. Sick of seeing all the $100 evenings of drinking on my bank statement. Sick of working out and still gaining weight due to alcohol calories. Sick of stupid drinking fights with SO.
One day in. It’s a start.
Planning on my first meeting Sunday. It’s some type of early morning meditation. I like that it is early. Don’t know what to expect there. At the least I just want a place to sit and think.
Not sure what else to do. SO is being supportive. She drinks with me but can stop or choose not to drink. I cannot. I drink if I can and usually more than I should.
That is my story so far.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome littlekings. I don’t think anyone expects to find themselves in a place like SR but this is not a bad place to be - lots of support encouragement and advice here.

SR helped me turn my life around and I know we can help you to do the same.

I’m glad you found us
Old 04-30-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome board.
This a great place to sit and think.
Come back often , read around , hope to see you around.

Your list of the things you are sick of can be ripped and thrown away , and you know how , I can hear it , Rootin for ya
Old 04-30-2021, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Lots of support and encouragement here - use it to get sober for good!
Old 04-30-2021, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you, Littlekings.
Getting sober made me so much more productive, confident, and happier than I was when I was drinking.
And there's the added bonus that I no longer behave in ways that give me anxiety and shame for months after the incident.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! This place has helped me tremendously with staying alcohol free. This Tuesday will be 3 months. Why not try to join the class of May thread? It’s a nice place to chat with others in a similar spot. Take care!
Old 04-30-2021, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and ready to do this! I am 50 now, I stopped five years ago, and wouldn’t trade my sobriety for anything!
Old 04-30-2021, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the journey. It's a good one.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That story sounds just about like me but you still have a SO, I don't and I don't and didn't blame her for leaving.
I have about 1.75 yrs. sober and my ex is my best friend now and life is better then I could have ever imagined.

It is so worth it to give it up.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont think anyone expects to be here, but it's a group of amazing people who will get you through if you let them, all the best, and congratulations on day one
Old 05-01-2021, 02:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have made the best move of your life littlekings.

You can leave all of the madness behind, and embark on a new and expansive life. It is so worth it.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

SR save me from my thug life.

We were never designed to be drunks. It was a learned behavior and therefore it can be unlearned.

What do sober people do all day?

Once a routine was started, the sober ball keeps on rolling.

Easier said. The crave lurks for life.

Sometimes the struggle is by the second. Other times the crave is gone for days.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome you've found the right people here. This board is full of wonderful, supportive and wise folks. I'm back after 2yrs sober then the past year of bingeing on and off. I knew where I needed to come to talk and listen. Stick around
Old 05-01-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I haven't thought about Little Kings (it's a tiny-bottle beer made in the Midwest of the U.S.) in years.

Memories. They were great for the hot summer days. Didn't get warm before they were gone.

Welcome to the site.

I'll never drink another Little King or any other beer. That's a very good thing. I stopped drinking over seven years ago and I spent a lot of time on this site absorbing the deep well of wisdom and help to be found here. Hope to see you around.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR littlekings. It is great you have such good support at home. My advice to you is to use that as much as possible. Talking to your SO and people you really trust is a great system of built-in accountability. I thinking walking the early recovery road by yourself can be very fraught.

How did yesterday go? Hope you feel good this morning.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-01-2021, 07:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Right now I am feeling good about everything. I know this feeling will not last forever.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. I never expected to be an alcoholic, and then it slowly dawned on me, and I never expected to have to go someplace for help, and then I was in one of those places wondering what was going to happen next. The whole thing was humiliating at first. I had blown life in a big way and ended up reluctantly asking for help from strangers. And you don't know if it's going to help or if you are just going to go back to watching your life cave in even more. Bummer! But here we are actually getting on with our lives and happy about it too. You know that feeling when you buy a new car? Sobriety is better than that, and you can still buy that new car too.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome littlekings,

It sounds like you're tired of the drinking life and ready to make a change in your life. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Littlekings - I'm so glad you found us & decided to join. SR has meant the world to me. I never expected to stay all this time - but I'm here every day. You are never alone & we all understand what you're going through.

When I was your age I was still insisting I could use willpower to control my drinking if I just tried hard enough. Of course that never worked. Quitting all together seemed impossible. So I kept going, trying to moderate, until I ended up with dui's, ruined relationships, wasted money, broken trust, health issues - and much more. My life was being destroyed - and I was allowing it to happen. I wish it hadn't taken me so many years to understand that each time it was in my system it led to dangerous & unexpected consequences. You don't need it. Be proud you've made this decision to take back your life.