Notices

Checking in — it’s been a while.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in — it’s been a while.

I wanted to check in when I hit 2 years but didn’t get to it, then I thought about it again when I recently turned 50, but I was pretty busy, so I’m doing it now. Over a year ago, I posted this:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/445950-thinking-about-going-back-work-don-t-want-fall-back-into-old-habits-though.html (Thinking about going back to work. Don’t want to fall back into old habits though.)

And although I was worried about finding myself in another toxic work environment, I’m happy to say that I am in a situation in which I absolutely love my job. (Teaching high school English)

It’s actually kind of amazing to me. It’s stressful, but not because I’m surrounded by toxicity; it’s because I’m really passionate about what I’m doing and care so much about doing a good job. Drinking is the last thing on my mind because there’s no way I could give 100% at work if I had booze in my system.

And you know what’s nice? Not feeling like an imposter. I recently got a bit of recognition for my efforts, and instead of feeling embarrassed, I thought, “yeah, that’s because I work my tail off.”

Anyway, I don’t post a lot lately, but I just wanted to let y’all know that I’m happy and have you guys to thank. I think the thing that helped me most is what Dee has said on several occasions about creating a life that you love. For some reason that sunk in like nothing else, and it became sort of like a mantra. I visualized myself working in a rewarding job, being there for my family, doing fun things on the weekends, being the best version of myself. I had a fully formed picture in my mind of what I “a life that I love” would look like.

And I took a leap of faith, knowing that the good folks on this forum aren’t lying. I believed 100% that if I could hang in long enough, things would get better. In most ways things are better, sometimes on ways I hadn’t even imagined. Of course it’s not all unicorns and rainbows — sometimes things suck. But overall, I know I have what it takes to get through whatever happens. Sober life is pretty good.

edit: not sure why everything is underlined, I guess because I linked to an old post? Oh well.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you BonnieFloyd and to hear everything is going so well!
Old 04-26-2021, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is great news. Especially getting out of a toxic work environment it can really have a toll on your health and recovery especially family life. I wish you the best in your recovery.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you BonnieFloyd. Amazing update and it makes a difference to the rest of us. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad to hear you're doing well. Congrats on over 2 yrs sober!
Old 04-26-2021, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are in a very good place. I'm impressed by your dedication to your job and your life. Pride in those areas are powerful mechanisms. I'm sitting here unable to imagine any slips and relapses in your future, but don't stay away on account of that. I like reading about success.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you posting, Bonnie. How wonderful that things are good, & you're comfortable in your new life.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember you Bonnie.

What a great post!

So very happy for you.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Made my day!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is so great to hear. You're doing it!!! You're really doing it.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great.