Notices

Update from PADDY123

Old 04-24-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Update from PADDY123

Hi everyone, just a short update from Libya. Day 70 tomorrow but suffering bad PAWS. I'm on a low dose of antidepressant 0.25 mg Zoloft as was suffering with anxiety and mild depression earlier on after quitting. I will remain on the same dose as afraid to up to 50 mg and would prefer to be off meds. My new job is going well and I get some fast walking exercise everyday after work for around 30 minutes. Eating well but sleeping can be up and down. I get cravings too but nothing I can do as in a very strick Muslim Country and all alcohol is forbidden lol. I just have to soldier on and hope the symptoms go away with time..I was here before and know the drill. Patience and make a plan for my return home to Ireland end of June, which will be my real test and I know I can do it as I never want to be in crap situation again. Appart from my PAWs symptoms with mental melt downs and cravings everything is going fine. I know I will come out the other side smelling if roses and not stale Guinness lol. My wife is very proud if me which is great encouragement. Stay safe everyone (says me in Libya lol) and best of luck to you all. Good night 😴🥱🌃🌙✨💓😴 update soon XX god Bless you all.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy, 70 days is awesome.. I hope the uncomfortable feelings pass. I’m sure they will as you are recognising them and have a plan for the months ahead. Always be vigilant though. I work in a lot of Muslim countries and have no problem at all not drinking there (especially during Ramadan) but return to old habits when I come back. But you sound positive, mindful and aware. Libya is a wonderful place when peaceful. Did you get to see the Leptis Magna ?
Old 04-24-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 70 days Paddy!!

So yeah, I can so relate to the paws beating you up at this stage...I’ve been there, a bunch of times! Keep going...I can assure you, it gets better!

Old 04-24-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 70 days Paddy.
I know things got a lot better for me after 90 days so I hope that’s okay for you too

D
Old 04-24-2021, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paddy, congratulations on 70 days. I'm glad your wife let you know she is proud of you.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful news, Paddy. We know what determination it takes to reach 70 days sober. Well done!
Old 04-25-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Dee 74 - yes looking forward to 90 days, bring it on, Baby Icandothis, yes Leptis Magna on the cards when the lockdown restrictions lift here, it is 160km outside Tripoli Looking forward to that one Stay Safe everyone and Thanks again. talk soon.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy. Congrats on 70 days. Sorry about your PAWS symptoms but as you say it'll just take time. Good luck on your return home to Ireland.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy. Good to hear you are doing ok. I have just seen that the government will introduce minimum unit alcohol pricing in Ireland 'in weeks'. Not sure how I feel about this.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Hi Paddy. Good to hear you are doing ok. I have just seen that the government will introduce minimum unit alcohol pricing in Ireland 'in weeks'. Not sure how I feel about this.
If I was still drinking, it would certainly make Listerine and hand sanitizer more appealing.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
If I was still drinking, it would certainly make Listerine and hand sanitizer more appealing.
Yeah I know what you mean. I was mostly drinking the cheapest types of alcohol at the end, cheap cider and the like.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I was mostly drinking the cheapest types of alcohol at the end, cheap cider and the like.
i have a mate in Dublin and when he finishes work every day around 4pm he drinks a complete case of chep beer (its only around 8 or 9 Euro a case) until he starts slobbering all over himself. Pissed as a fart x 7 days a week. He is away from his wife and has two lovely boys.(I wonder why) He doesnt like taking his boys at weekends as it interferes with his drinking. I though on many occasions should i say something to him but not my place. I did say once that the beer was slowly killing him and he said he will live longer than me. I am 5 years his senior but dont think so. I left it at that.I visit him for a cup of tea and a chat. He knows hes a fully blown alcoholic and just doesnt seem to give a dam. One of my main reasons for quitting was so i can be there for my family. And why waste the time and effort it took me going to college and university, and for my own health and wellbeing of course also. Its really sad when it gets a grip. I was more of a bender man, i mean go on a binge for a week..God only knows where I'd end up. Then clean for months suffering the aftereffects. Im determined not to go back to my old ways upon my return home in 2 months. I'm putting a plan together to be clean for my 2 weeks rotation leave. It will involve visiting many castles and museums in Ireland with my two young boys (almost 9 and 13) older daughter in university on exchange program in Sweden. Studying medicine. My boys love castles and i tell them all about the history of every castle. They can now identify Norman castles built circa. 10th /11th Century against what are known as toy castles, these were more stately homes and built later. Oh rambling again lol catch up soon everyone. God Bless ❤❤❤😊😊😊
Old 04-25-2021, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That’s wonderful Paddy ! What a great plan ! Sorry about your friend !
Old 04-25-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paddy, I love that you have such great plans in mind for things to do with your kids. Those thoughts will help inspire you to continue your recovery. And, maybe your friend will follow your lead when he sees how well you're doing.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job on 70 days Paddy!!
Old 04-25-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantastic job Paddy! Keep it up and enjoy your time there.