Notices

Feeling like I am running on empty!

Old 04-23-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like I am running on empty!

I haven't felt like posting much the last couple of days and that is a red flag for me!
I have 32 days today but I feel like I ran out of gas and energy on day 30.
I am tired and I am worried that I don't have the Stamina and energy to stay sober!
The first 30 days were relatively easy for me but now it seems it's going to get tougher!
Just want to post and stay in touch! The AV is working overtime on me!
I am not sleeping very well and I think that is having an affect on me!

Thanks for being here!
Old 04-23-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by adrunk42long View Post
I am tired and I am worried that I don't have the Stamina and energy to stay sober!
If you have the stamina and energy to drink, you have the stamina and energy to stay sober.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please hang in there AD42L. It sounds like your AV is trying to convince you that you are not (fill in the blank ) enough to beat it down. You are strong enough to do this. It will pass.

Thinking back to my last drunks, and how desperately I wanted to get sober is a great reminder for me to stay the course. It felt impossible to get sober, but I did it, and you are too.

Perhaps read back through your posts and get a look at how far you have come in the past month. A drink is a horrible reward for good behavior!
Old 04-23-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm also burnt out, but because drunk and dealing with the aftermath is too hard, and requires more energy than I have. So I'm dealing with everything sober.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by adrunk42long View Post
I haven't felt like posting much the last couple of days and that is a red flag for me!
I have 32 days today but I feel like I ran out of gas and energy on day 30.
The first 30 days were relatively easy for me but now it seems it's going to get tougher!
Just want to post and stay in touch! The AV is working overtime on me!
I am not sleeping very well and I think that is having an affect on me!

Thanks for being here!
I can soooo relate to how you're feeling. I white knuckled a bit through my first 30-60 days. Some easy times, some harder times. I did whatever I had to do to hold on. I let myself eat whatever I wanted anytime my AV got insistent. Now I'm working on losing what I gained those first 30 days - lol.

It gets better. I had some moments after 60 days too. It will come and go. There are simple things you can do to get through. Some of these things seem so simple they're easy to ignore because you can't believe it will actually work. Like eating some good food, walking, exercising, puppy snuggles, etc.

The fact that you're able to recognize your AV is a very good thing! Just shut it down as soon as you notice it. Don't engage it back and forth - just tell it to STFU! If it comes back, tell it to STFU again. Repeat until it STFU.

As to sleep, what worked for me was shutting off all electronic screens at least an hour before bed time, no caffeine after 10:00 AM, and taking 5mg melatonin and my anti-anxiety prescription. I stick to my sleep schedule as strictly as I reasonably can. Sleep gets better and better as each sober day adds up.

Keep on keeping on! You got this!

Old 04-23-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You must keep going. Don't forget how far you've come and how much work you've put into your sobriety. You're still fairly early on in sobriety, but the ups and downs will ease up over time.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please hang on! You've come so far, you can't give in now.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting first!

I don't remember anyone saying it would be easy.

I do remember plenty telling me it will get Easier.

They were not lying.

Come on Man! Hang in there!
Old 04-23-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey AD42L

Don’t let yourself be talked out of the game man All you need to do is keep doing what you been doing for the last 30 days.

A month sober is a little miracle and you’ve done it. Like FK says it does get easier...don’t let yourself be hoodwinked by self doubt.

You can do this because you’re already doing it!

D
Old 04-23-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

adrunk - I remember feeling just that way in the early days. I was up & down for a while - even though I was very grateful to be alcohol free.
There were times when I felt sorry for myself - resented my situation. Then times I'd be so grateful to be rebuilding my life. Eventually the down times disappeared all together. You're getting used to a whole new way of living - be patient with yourself.

Congratulations on your 32 days sober. We know how hard you worked to get there - you're doing great.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at the thought that alcohol would give me more stamina or energy or help my sleep.

Completely the opposite. Sucked the life right out of me other than that one hour when I first started drinking.

The suggestions above about food and exercise are spot on.

Food gives me energy and exercise increases my stamina and helps me sleep.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I am really struggling but I am not going to drink today.! Lots of great suggestions! It is hard to see the forest from the trees some days!
Old 04-23-2021, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some days we can do great things and other days it’s all we can do at the end of the day to fall into bed sober...but that’s enough

D
Old 04-23-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you are looking for reason to drink adrunk42long. And that's pretty normal at 32 days.

You'll have less stamina and energy if you pick up is all I can say. I've been there myself.

If you remain sober you will eventually reach a point where stamina is no longer needed, and will accept gratefully the peace sobriety offers. Don't fight it, accept instead. Gosh, what did it ever give you, but regret and pain?

You will get there.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sometimes exercise is the best medicine in these cases. Push the body and then get much of that ease and comfort naturally. You can find much of that ease and comfort without touching alcohol. At least for me exercise seems to help with sleep, anxiety, depression.

I think much of what we want deep down is serenity, ease & comfort. Trouble is that from drinking for so long our minds get conditioned, polluted into that association of drink with a feeling of ease and comfort. We need to retrain the mind into finding this in other ways.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Libby06 View Post
Please hang in there AD42L. It sounds like your AV is trying to convince you that you are not (fill in the blank ) enough to beat it down. You are strong enough to do this. It will pass.

Thinking back to my last drunks, and how desperately I wanted to get sober is a great reminder for me to stay the course. It felt impossible to get sober, but I did it, and you are too.

Perhaps read back through your posts and get a look at how far you have come in the past month. A drink is a horrible reward for good behavior!
Thank you Libby for your support! Yesterday was a tough day! It was the closest I have been to drinking since I quit! I didn't drink and am feeling stronger today!
Old 04-24-2021, 04:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I'm also burnt out, but because drunk and dealing with the aftermath is too hard, and requires more energy than I have. So I'm dealing with everything sober.
Thank you Anx! I appreciate the support!
Old 04-24-2021, 04:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 04-24-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
I can soooo relate to how you're feeling. I white knuckled a bit through my first 30-60 days. Some easy times, some harder times. I did whatever I had to do to hold on. I let myself eat whatever I wanted anytime my AV got insistent. Now I'm working on losing what I gained those first 30 days - lol.

It gets better. I had some moments after 60 days too. It will come and go. There are simple things you can do to get through. Some of these things seem so simple they're easy to ignore because you can't believe it will actually work. Like eating some good food, walking, exercising, puppy snuggles, etc.

The fact that you're able to recognize your AV is a very good thing! Just shut it down as soon as you notice it. Don't engage it back and forth - just tell it to STFU! If it comes back, tell it to STFU again. Repeat until it STFU.

As to sleep, what worked for me was shutting off all electronic screens at least an hour before bed time, no caffeine after 10:00 AM, and taking 5mg melatonin and my anti-anxiety prescription. I stick to my sleep schedule as strictly as I reasonably can. Sleep gets better and better as each sober day adds up.

Keep on keeping on! You got this!
Thank you for the support JJ ! One day at a time!
Old 04-24-2021, 04:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You must keep going. Don't forget how far you've come and how much work you've put into your sobriety. You're still fairly early on in sobriety, but the ups and downs will ease up over time.
Thank you Anna! Yesterday was tough! But thanks to you and everyone else I didn't have to drink!