Notices

What to do

Old 04-22-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do

I’m over a year clean. Got a job. Started studying full time and thought, wow. I don’t need to go to meetings anymore and I can be normal. But deep down I know that I need something to do with recovery in my life. This is my first time posting on this forum. I definitely have the desire to not drink and do the hard drugs but can’t shake the desire of wanting to smoke weed. Are there addicts that can smoke weed?
Old 04-22-2021, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, hotwings, welcome.

Weed is just as addictive, and I think you know that or you wouldn't be on this forum asking that question - yeah? I think it would lead me back to drinking too. That's dangerous.

There is a Marijuana subforum here, maybe you would find some answers reading those threads. Here's a link:

Marijuana Addiction, Sober Recovery

Hope to see you around.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been around A.A. since 1987 and sober since 2002. I've lost count of the number of people I've heard come back after a horrific relapse and tell the group that what re-opened the gates of hell for them was the thought that "I don’t need to go to meetings anymore" (often after years sober). Unfortunately, I assume there are many others who relapse after falling prey to that belief who never make it back -- either because they die an alcoholic death or just can't drag themselves back through the doors of A.A. The same applies to the thought "I can smoke weed." Of course, this may not apply to you -- but it's a deadly game to play if you're a real alcoholic / drug addict.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome hotwings You posted in our chat administrative forum which is not the chat room

if you want the chat room instructions for the portal are here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...chat-room.html (How to find the chat room!!!!!)

but I’ll move this thread to our newcomers forum - you’ll get more response there

As to your question - I am an addict who definitely cannot smoke weed. I used weed in exactly the same way I used alcohol - the same desire to escape reality and evade responsibility, the same obsession to get high, the same hanging out with people I knew I shouldn’t and the same feelings of self disgust and hatred after.

For me it was another leaky boat on a sea of crud - in fact if I’m honest it was the same exact boat.

I’m not sure what’s got you looking for an ‘out’ hot wings, but leave addiction behind- even with the odd bumpy periods, life is much better in recovery

D
Old 04-22-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome hotwings.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hotwings, you've gotten good advice here. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The desire to smoke weed may be the AV, or the obsession to drink sneaking up on you. Im not saying for sure you are going to drink if you smoke weed but I could see how it would put you in a more vulnerable spot. As it says in the 12 & 12 subtly powerful. It could be a deeper in the mind urge to drink. The alcoholic mind plays tricks on us.

I would suggest sticking around here and maybe shopping around for some new AA meetings.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I experimented with it about, hmmm, 18 months or so into my sobriety (3+years now.) Frankly, I just didn't enjoy it. It made me anxious and lazy. Also made me want to eat whatever - which ended up meaning crap b/c I was too lazy to prepare good food. So I left it at that.

The way I think about it now is that it's a very good sign that I was able to see it for what it is and that it just didn't appeal to me anymore. It wasn't about if it's addictive, or can I do it without it leading to other things, etc. etc.. It's that it brought things into my life that don't work with the standard I enjoy now, and so there's really no point in doing it. That's how I know my run of sobriety is working (I say so humbly and wide-eyed of course) and that the change is going more than skin deep. I like to think I'm more than a dry drunk these days.

Maybe instead of asking yourself if you can do it without it leading to other stuff, etc. you should ask yourself what it could possibly do for you in the first place? My opinion - so much of the hype about reefer (and I've smoked a lot in my time) is just social ******** driven by a certain 'clique.' It's superficial. I'm very wary of anything getting in the way of me being able to be sober and honest with myself these days. I think the urge is a signal of something more malign.

I also think the urge you are having is probably a result of a plateau, pause, or challenge in your current growth. We often regress back to what we knew when we're on the verge or cusp or journey of change. Stay away from it. Breathe deep. Find a new thing - yoga, deep breathing, aromatherapy (yes, I'm a dude). Buy a new kitchen utility like a dutch oven. Learn to bake bread. (It's easy and amazing.) Go read a book in the park. Do something to break the rut your in - to break the boredom. Listen to some Rollins, Fugazi or Minor Threat and commit to 'Straight Edge.'
Old 05-18-2021, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link!
Old 05-18-2021, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me sobriety means absolutely no mind altering substances.

I already know with my history with weed, I smoked it from the age of 16 to 21, that is causes me anxiety and panic attacks. Panic attacks and anxiety can and probably will lead me to drink.

So it's a no from me.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for everybody being real welcoming and giving advice, I didn’t come back and read anything until now 💙 really needed to hear a lot of this
Old 05-18-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR hotwings. I've never done weed much but I think it is the same song, different verse, as alcohol and other addictive substances. I also think weed is a doorway - a lowering of inhibitions and your decision making is gone. We all know where that leads. Again, welcome.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I personally never cared for weed, only tried it a few times a very long time ago, mostly negative experiences. I have been involved in (actually led) some quite extensive research activities though on the long-term effects of cannabis on the brain and emotional, cognitive and behavioral vulnerabilities, mostly focusing on THC. It is definitely not a harmless substance, even though there seems to be more selectivity in the people who can indeed be harmed by it (addicted and other issues) and those that can use it safely or even beneficially, and which cannabis compound is responsible for what.

The cannabis available on the market today is also very varied in terms of its chemical composition, and since it's still not tested and monitored well enough even in legal repositories, can be quite unpredictable what you get. Since you seem to recognize some issues with weed, why not apply to it similar strategies you used for quitting other drugs? There are a few regulars here on SR who had problems with it and quit successfully or really want to.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know a few people that used to drink really heavy but stopped and use weed now, have done for years with no problems. I don't think this applies to you and the absolute main indicator for that assumption is that you have been in the rooms of AA for a year and you would not get one of my buddies to go to AA even if they were dying from their addiction. I myself go to AA, have done for years on and off. I've seen lots of people come in and leave and have happy and sober lives (obviously all people that leave are assumed to be drinking again as AA has quite strict guidelines on how to stay sober; steps, meetings etc.) not going to meetings anymore, all of these people have found another support for their newfound sobriety whilst attending AA and before stopping meetings, could be here, could be hobbies, could be new lifestyle etc. These are not what AA would consider to be REAL alcoholics (people use the term real alcoholics loosely these days as AA wants as wide a net as possible to help as many people as they can so nowadays you could drink a beer once a month and declare yourself an alcoholic). A real alcoholic is someone who has lost all power over alcohol, there is no off switch, there is no moderation, there is no contingency plan. These are the sort of people that will end up in prison, dead or finally get help. These are not the kind of person who drinks 6-8 beers a night, then has something to eat and goes to bed. It's not the kind of drinker i was in my 30s where i would get absolutely hammered one night then spend the next week recovering! So if you are A RREAL alcoholic then i would absolutely advise that you continue meetings 100%, as it is a miracle that you have come from alcohol dependence (this means you would have been physically addicted to alcohol so would have had nasty withdrawals when stopping) to a freedom from that slavery. If you fit into that category you are definitely risking your life if you relapse, as it won't be my kind of relapse where i would get drunk, order pizza and wake up devastated that i'm back to say one! And you absolutely cannot risk any mind altering drugs in case you relapse on alcohol.

Hope that helps?
Old 05-18-2021, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Personally I think of weed as a slipper slope just like all the other substances. But congratulations on your recovery and it sounds like your inner self is nudging you about the marijuana usage.