Notices

Day 2 - Nausea and insomnia

Old 04-22-2021, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - Nausea and insomnia

Day 2 ( yet again). Feel so nauseous, I can’t really eat anything. Barely slept so trying to nap. Work building up and I keep making excuses (aka lying) saying I am ill plus my elbow still hurts ! Why do I keep doing this when I KNOW what the result will be ? Hopefully, based on past experience I’ll feel a bit better tomorrow... and then HAVE to address my trigger, which is my son as I can 100% guarantee another disaster will occur shortly and I need to find a different way to react to it !
Old 04-22-2021, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do hope you start feeing better soon, take it slow and try to drink water and get a little food down if you can.

You mention needing to find a different way to react when another disaster occurs - it is good to hear you say that as it's very true. Having said that, this is not about your Son. Yes, he is a "trigger" for your addiction, but even if someone cast a magic spell and erased all the issues he has - you would still be an alcoholic. There will always be something in your life that triggers addictive thinking...so the key is changing YOU to be equipped for when it happens. Trying to change him, or anyone else besides you, is a fruitless effort that will only result in more frustration for you.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better too. I am still feeling awful several days on but a little better every day. It might be worth journalling how you are feeling just now and reading it back, just to reinforce what these days are actually like.

Acceptance that you are an alcoholic is something I am working on. Lots of triggers, lots of reasons but really, those things are secondary to the fact that my relationship with alcohol is the main problem and that's because I am an alcoholic. I suspect you are the same! The counselling was a great idea xx
Old 04-22-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you on Day 2. As Scott says, this is about you changing yourself to make yourself able to deal with all triggers in your life, not just your son.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you dear SR friends ! As usual you are absolutely right !
Old 04-22-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I go days without sleeping or eating when detoxing. Get some Gravol at the pharmacy. It's an anti-nausea medication that also has sedative effects. Should make you feel a little better.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience WL.
Being a little more naturally cautious these days, I’d tend to ask the pharmacist for advice if it was me though ICDT.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Alberta/...se-gravol.aspx

D
Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Get well and I pray you figure out a way to stop drinking the poison.

It caused 99 percent of my problems.

I look back on my drinking days and a sort of shiver.

Being a fairly playful and optimistic person I have come to call those days my "Thug Life."

It makes it seem better.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, your son will continue to provide you with reason after reason to drink. An endless supply of triggers. But even if he were the most dutiful and doting son ever, there would be other triggers. We are alcoholics and our nag-headed heads troll for reasons to drink. It is our condition and I think your son has far less to do with your condition than you currently hold him responsible for. With regards to your son, if your triggers with him cover the spectrum from his predatory illegal behavior towards you on one end, all the way to him cutting class on the other end, it will be hard to stay sober. If you look at the impossibility of that, the only conclusion to reach that gives you a path forward is to work on your own approach to whatever life throws at you, and not just what your son throws at you.