Notices

Wow, that was easy

Old 04-17-2021, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow, that was easy

Spent the morning playing golf. And there was drinking. Then went to dinner with three other guys and they all drank. I was 97% immune. I just didn’t desire it. I’m pretty amazed. I just prefer my sober life and the productivity, and the esteem and the hope.

I can drink if I want. I don’t want.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Spent the morning playing golf. And there was drinking. Then went to dinner with three other guys and they all drank. I was 97% immune. I just didn’t desire it. I’m pretty amazed. I just prefer my sober life and the productivity, and the esteem and the hope.

That's great. I was never a big golf person not cause I don't like it. It's that I am horrible at it. Lol glad you had fun out with some friends. Feels great knowing you can have a good time and doesn't require being drunk.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through BABM.
I did that a few times - sooner or later and on a return visit I had booze in my hand in 5 mins.

Be smarter than I was - if you're going keep company with drinking mates, always stay vigilant, man.

D
Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through that and feeling strong, BABM. You've made the decision to not drink and you're doing great. But, as Dee mentioned, vigilance is important, too.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

Thanks for sharing BABM. Glad that things went well. I can relate to the feeling. It is hard to describe and explain, but this section of the Tenth Step Promises, pretty much nails it for me:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone-even alcohol... We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality-safe and protected... We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

Reprinted from the book Alcoholics Anonymous
Copyright © 1939, 1955, 1976, 2001 by A.A. World Services, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

How are you at fishing BaBM? I hope this golf & dinner outing wasn’t just a fluke. As Dee & Anna suggested, stay vigilant! In either case, I’m sure it was nice to get out and have some fun with friends. Good work getting through the day sober.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m a little under the weather this morning because of allergies, but doing pretty well.

I should mention that the guys I spent the day with are not “drinking buddies”. None of them had more than 3 beers and I met them through our church and the youth sports that we all coach. We were home by 10pm.

Just as I’m typing this a friend of mine I met in AA called. He’s at the tail end of a five day bender. This is a man that had been in prison for 10 years for DUIs. He is really stuck in the cycle and it breaks my heart. I pray to God he finds some relief.

Thanks all for listening.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, man. I'm sorry about your AA friend.

The insanity is...insane.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Oh, man. I'm sorry about your AA friend.

The insanity is...insane.
There’s nothing like it. The only things I’ve seen that come close are schizophrenia and manic depressive disorders. Where the original person is in there but just can’t get out. Gut-wrenching.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your friend as well BABM.

D
Old 04-18-2021, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Sorry to hear about your friend. That’s hard.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your friend, BABM. Sometimes when we're stuck in the cycle, it seems almost impossible to get out. I'm glad he has you to lean on.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was at a church outing last year and the swearing and folks mixing drinks at 8am I thought was nuts. Not that I really care much, I mean I drank like that for decades and swear all the time but I thought it was kind of "funny" at a church outing. I golf so much better and lose way less balls when sober.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's great when we get to that point BABM. Do be vigilant though. I've fallen a few times that way. The sandtrap's a doozie.

Really glad that you are out and about and meeting with friends. Living life free from the yolk at last.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

Great place to be!!