Notices

16 months: Life is tough but I'm tougher

Old 04-16-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 months: Life is tough but I'm tougher

Over 16 months sober. I have not slipped even once after many years of daily drinking.

Last week, my 22 years old cat died. 22 years is a long time. I could communicate with him as good as most humans! I think animals are more intelligent than we give them credit for. I miss him so much.

I’m under a lot of stress with work too and my daughter, I can’t even go there today. Ugh.

To protect my sobriety I decided I need to come here and post, because the alcoholic brain forgets.

-When I drank, I had a lot of bad days. Drinking may kill the sorrow for a few hours, but I would not be able to live with myself the next day. In fact, when I look back, a lot of my drinking time was spent fantasizing about being free of alcohol. It always started with a nice buzz and quickly progressed into deep thinking about my life and then crash in the bed…my house WAS horrifyingly messy.

-The sober me is planning a 50th wedding anniversary dinner for my parents. Because I’m sober, I can do it. I called my brother to discuss it and he asked what was going on because no one expects this from me. Well guess what, the sober me takes responsibility and does good things for ones she loves, even if it means stepping out of the comfort zone.

-Even though my daughter drives me nuts, she is so much better since I stopped drinking and still vows to never touch alcohol herself. She recognizes her addictive traits. I told her I would quit, and I did. That’s about the best lesson I can give her…to lead by example and show her my strength. Oh my, getting emotional now!

-I’m heading toward stable finances. No more “F it” moments spending the utility money on booze means I don’t have to worry about having a roof over my head.

-I’m almost 47 and into the perimenopause years (sorry guys). Talk about shifting moods! But I remind myself it is natural and will eventually pass.

Bottom line is there is nothing in my life that will be solved by alcohol.

It is up to me what I think and right now in this very moment I’m choosing GRATITUDE…and some chocolate.

To anyone still trying to quit, don’t be deterred by my post. When I look back at the past 16 months of sobriety and what I have accomplished, it’s pretty amazing. Right now, it’s the crown jewel of my life.

Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful sober weekend!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This site saves lives.

Totally relate to everything you said.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear from you. I agree with your comments about your cat and I'm so sorry that your beloved pet passed away after 22 years. And, yes, gratitude and chocolate are always helpful.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 16 months sober!

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. They are furry family members and take a piece of our hearts with them when they die.

Yes, gratitude and chocolate are both part of my recovery plan. More gratitude than chocolate tho.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Least, every time I think about gratitude, you come to mind...every time. I'm grateful that you are always here. And the moderators too, you guys are awesome.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved 22 year old cat. I know how very hard it is, I lost my beloved cat last year, and yes, they are so intelligent. He had a wonderful Mum though, you ❤️.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Sober45 but I'm so glad you're still on the journey with us

Congrats on 16 months

D
Old 04-16-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad to see your name Sober45. I'm about the same vintage sober person as you. Sobriety makes all things possible doesn't it? Gratitude and chocolate sound like an excellent plan.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post! It is so helpful and inspirational to hear your story. I get the perimenopause thing, believe me - I wish I would have gone through it sober, as you are doing. Keep it up - it will help that time in your life so much more than the booze will (which I'm sure you already know). I'm so sorry about your kitty. They are so dear to us. 22 years is wonderful - very well loved all, I'm sure.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a wonderful post, Sober45. Congratulations on your 16+ months sober.
I'm sorry to hear you lost your kitty - what a great life he must have had with you.
We're such fools to think alcohol is helping us cope. I drank 30 yrs. - couldn't imagine my life without my 'helper' and comforter. Never realizing it was causing more anxiety & misery than being sober ever could. I'm glad that - in your 40's - you are free of it. We can't numb ourselves - life is meant to ebb and flow. I'm so thankful we no longer sabotage ourselves.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 16 months sober!
Old 04-18-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I’ll bet your cat knew you better than any person could. What a gift to have had 22 years!

And what a gift you’ve given yourself, your family and all of us in getting and staying sober.

Thank you and congratulations, too.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a daily drinker too. Sometimes I wonder; Is it easier for us? For example, after the cravings stop, we know we can make it? It may be harder for binge drinkers that go for two months or two years, and get back on the merry-go-round. After a few weeks without, how do they know whether they are over it? I never knew what going more than 24 hours was like.