Notices

Anyone using sugar to stave off cravings?

Old 04-15-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone using sugar to stave off cravings?

I knew when I quit drinking I would crave sugar!
I don't think it is a problem yet because I have never been much of a sweets person!
But no doubt my candy intake is on the rise!
I doubt that I am consuming anywhere near the amount of sugar as I did when I was drinking! My go to drink was 3/4 vodka, 1/8 tonic water and 1/8 lemonade!

Last edited by adrunk42long; 04-15-2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 04-15-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really trying this time to eat really healthy as the last time I quit alchohol for 8 weeks I kind of gave myself a pass to eat anything I wanted and of course I wanted tortilla chips..I forgot I only have to smell somthing calorific to gain a stone, so I gained and gained in those 8 weeks, and I thought people who got sober automatically lost weight! Well not me, Haha don't mind me I'm just bitter 😂 but in seriousness I'm eating grapes because they are sweet and low cal when I want somthing really sweet
Old 04-15-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OverthePanic View Post
I'm really trying this time to eat really healthy as the last time I quit alchohol for 8 weeks I kind of gave myself a pass to eat anything I wanted and of course I wanted tortilla chips..I forgot I only have to smell somthing calorific to gain a stone, so I gained and gained in those 8 weeks, and I thought people who got sober automatically lost weight! Well not me, Haha don't mind me I'm just bitter 😂 but in seriousness I'm eating grapes because they are sweet and low cal when I want somthing really sweet
Thanks overthepanic! Grapes are a good idea
Old 04-15-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m not intentionally using sugar, but have been craving it, and have a bite of chocolate a couple of times a day, and have been snacking more.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early sobriety, my go-to was dark chocolate M and Ms. I still like them but don't eat them as much as I did at first. Fruit is good for sugar cravings too. I liked watermelon a lot.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is my go to cheap and keeps me full. And doesn't bother my sugar levels. Or oatmeal with some whey protein powder.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Absolutely had sugar cravings first few weeks after quitting...Had to quit that too soon after due to the weight gain...

Got the sugar under control and the weight started coming down, but yeah...sugar replaced the alcohol for a while after quitting
Old 04-15-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I never wanted sweets. I thought I didn’t like them. But as soon as I quit drinking I did start craving sweets again... I try and eat somewhat healthy but I do treat myself!
Old 04-15-2021, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went through a few days of drinking Red Bull after my very first quit. It’s awful stuff, but my body was crying out for sugar I guess.

No doctor will say this, but unless a person is diabetic, anything goes when you first quit. For a temporary time, sugar is by far the lesser evil. Saying that, sugar is bad news for any longer time. See below. Go easy, folks.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/harm-sugar/
Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like the peanut butter and jelly sandwich idea, because you get some fat with it and you can use healthy jam and full grain bread. I also like fruit such as oranges, apples and berries. Fructose is less likely to spike insulin than sucrose. I have to be really careful with pure sugar in any form like soda or candy as it gets me on a sugar roller-coaster and eventually knocks me out. I would also suggest that it probably increases the length of time you will have to deal with cravings. My suggestion would be to eat fruit, a PB&J, or small hard candy f you're suffering alcohol cravings, since it is the lesser evil, but don't go overboard.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I have always had a sweet tooth. After quiting drinking I was ok with having a but more sugar. Cutting out the calories for beer and whisky cokes certainly helped.

I still eat more sugar than I should. However, now that im not drunk/hungover most of the time I am able to run 4 or 5 days a week.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, heck to the yes!
Oreo's and water where my go to when I first quite and now I eat them just because I simply like them.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For weeks, I ate nothing but raspberries, watermelon and dark chocolate. All packed with sugar. Still 3 of my favorites.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So. Much. Sugar.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I definitely supplemented with sugar early on. I don't think it's a craving staving now but unfortunately it has stayed with me and I have the worst sweet tooth!
Definitely the lesser of two evils! 😀
Old 04-16-2021, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveDD View Post
When I was drinking I never wanted sweets. I thought I didn’t like them. But as soon as I quit drinking I did start craving sweets again... I try and eat somewhat healthy but I do treat myself!
This was me too - I used to think my lack of a sweet tooth was some super-human ability lol.

Fruit and dark chocolate (the darker the better) are my go-to these days.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies! Sounds like sugar is a popular go to! I guess moderation is the key!
Old 04-16-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't like sweets and thought I almost never have added sugar (don't even use it for cooking), but definitely utilize eating to alleviate intense urges sometimes. Thinking about it more, my diet is pretty good, except one thing that I have not made enough efforts to eliminate yet. I like all sorts of rich, savory sauces, dressings, dips... and definitely eat way too much of them, sometimes even out of the jar, alone. I like the intense flavors and the consistency. But those things contain a lot of cr@p, including sugar... so maybe the sugar is a culprit in part, plus the infamous flavor-enhancers, many of which are known to be quite addictive. I know I should make my own sauces and dressings with healthy ingredients, and when I tried, I definitely didn't crave them the way I do with those I buy, so I know my theory is right about the addictive nature of those things. They do help my cravings though, and I'm fine not cutting them off completely right now as my AV is still such a bother at times, but that's the plan eventually. No experience personally, but I know a lot of straight sugar can be very challenging and difficult to quit for some, an addiction on its own. So if you can moderate, probably good.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tried quitting many times. When I finally did quit, I allowed sugar to be my go to...dark chocolate and soda drinks. I consumed an insane amount in the first 6 months and binge watched TV. That's what it took to get me sober. I would not have been able to do it in moderation at first because it was my alcohol replacement. I still lost weight (was a wine drinker).

After 16 months sober I've lost interest in TV except some documentaries. but I still have my dark chocolate. Soda's every now and then. I'm sure I'll have a Coke or something this evening because it's friday I find moderating sugar to be much easier than alcohol (which may not be the case for some). I would like to eliminate refined sugars completely at some point and I'm certain that will come as long as I stay sober.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I drank am insane amount of carbonated water when I first quit, hence my username here.

Probably not any science behind it but it felt like I was flushing all the rubbish out my body.

I found fizzy water easier to drink, I was going through a 2 litre bottle every day for weeks.

At the start I d say eat or drink whatever helps you not pick up alcohol.