Notices

Anyone using sugar to stave off cravings?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes. I never had a sweet tooth until I quit drinking the first time.
I gained more weight than I did when I was drinking and feel I did as much damage to my health.

Personally I don't recommend it. I believe that it's just another crutch to get over and if we're not careful, we just perpetuate the same issue. It's the brain calling out for chemical dependency.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness, the bane of my recovery existence. We have no sugary stuff around the house - none. Hubby was diagnosed pre-diabetic and this is primarily for him. In recovery, I'm mostly OK with the no sugar, but then every so often ... must. have. SUGAR! That's what it feels like. So I'll pick up the smallest carton of ice cream I can find at the store, because i know what comes next - I will proceed to inhale it. But then I'm OK for quite a while. This never used to happen when I was drinking - I really didn't crave or eat sugary stuff very much at all then. I read somewhere that having some non-sweetened fruit juice at the time that you would normally have a drink is helpful, which I have done as well.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hear ya! I still wanna eat a whole lemon cake with buttercream lemon frosting!!

But I keep putting it off till tomorrow...So I’ll say that each day the cravings come

108 Days!!

Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hard boiled sweets/candy work for me, soft stuff is far to easy to gobble, honey in tea and coffee.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yup. Me too.

ice cream and chocolate. I’m 7 weeks in - so I’m definitely in the “ABA” club. Anything but alcohol.

im working out a lot so I don’t feel too bad about it - but it’s not a long term fix.

my go to towards the end of my drinking was white wine ( 3 bottles per day) which has a lot of sugar in it.

the fizzy water thing really works. I squeeze an entire lemon or lime into my sparkling water and it works well to stave off cravings and satisfy the sipping urge.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sloinge View Post
the fizzy water thing really works. I squeeze an entire lemon or lime into my sparkling water and it works well to stave off cravings and satisfy the sipping urge.
I do that too, even plain water isn't bad. At the beginning I had to drink all sorts of sugary sodas.

Good job on 7 weeks!