Notices

Relapsed

Old 04-14-2021, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed

Hi! I’m new here and I know I need support and advice. I don’t drink every day, but sometimes when I do drink I drink way too much. I had quit drinking for 5 years and decided if I could do that I could have one or two drinks now and then without any consequences. That was a year and a half ago. I did ok with it only over drinking once or twice until Easter Sunday. We went to my husband’s family’s home for dinner and I drank so much I was falling and just drunk! My husband couldn’t get me to leave and he knew I would make a scene if he pushed too hard. I don’t ever want to see his family again I’m so embarrassed. Alcohol is never far from my thoughts whether I’m not drinking or I am. If I am I will hide how many drinks I have from my husband and if I’m not drinking I’m trying to figure out how to get that feeling of being free from whatever I need to be free of. I don’t know what I’m drinking to cover up. I haven’t had a drink since and plan on never having one again. Thank you for listening .
Old 04-14-2021, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds awful Stormy, but it sounds like you have an initial handle on the situation. Not drinking anything since Easter is an excellent start. You were sober for 5 years so you know the health and peace that sobriety offers. I think you would agree that the experiment with moderation is over with and the results of the experiment are crystal clear. It just doesn't work for anyone. Keep us posted on how things are going.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol has robbed so many of us of so much.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Consider your experiment with moderation a failed test. You know it doesn't work so go back to what does work. Rid yourself of the poison once and for all. You never have to think about how much, under what circumstances again. It's a simple none, ever. Done.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sure your family-in-law will forgive your lapse in judgement. If you never let them see that side of you again it will soon be just another family-get-together story - and by not drinking you ensure that won't happen again! I think most of us have done a dumb thing or twenty while drinking.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Stormy1969 View Post
...and if I’m not drinking I’m trying to figure out how to get that feeling of being free from whatever I need to be free of.
We drink because we are alcoholics. Alcohol makes us think we are free, but how can you be free if you are enslaved by a substance? It's one of the things that is so hard to get our minds around--the lies our addiction tells us. And one of the lies is drinking makes us feel free.

It's an illusion.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and please know that most of us here have done things we really regret, while drinking alcoholically. Stopping drinking will ensure that the situation doesn't happen again. I needed to a lot of internal work in order to begin to recover. My drinking was preventing me from dealing with the negative emotions in my life.

You have found a good place for support and understanding.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Stormy - we're so glad you're here. (I love Jim Thorpe )

That's how it was for me, too. Years ago I didn't drink every day - but each time I did I put myself in danger. Unintended bad things always happened. I didn't do anything about it - just kept limping along - until finally alcohol took over my life. I found myself drinking all day, being reckless & alienating everyone. Be happy you recognize what needs to happen & are taking action. Keep reading & posting. We care.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Stormy. I feel your pain, I have done some equally mortifying things but your husband's family will get over it, especially after a run of completely sober visits.

One way to look at it is it's prompted you to make some significant changes and your life, and relationships, will be so much better for it
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It’s so much easier to just quit entirely as I’m sure you know from your previous sobriety. 1 drink is too many and a 1000 never enough for me.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Stormy! If you never drink again, you'll never have those incidents again.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi! I’m new here and I know I need support and advice. I don’t drink every day, but sometimes when I do drink I drink way too much. I had quit drinking for 5 years and decided if I could do that I could have one or two drinks now and then without any consequences. That was a year and a half ago. I did ok with it only over drinking once or twice until Easter Sunday. We went to my husband’s family’s home for dinner and I drank so much I was falling and just drunk! My husband couldn’t get me to leave and he knew I would make a scene if he pushed too hard. I don’t ever want to see his family again I’m so embarrassed. Alcohol is never far from my thoughts whether I’m not drinking or I am. If I am I will hide how many drinks I have from my husband and if I’m not drinking I’m trying to figure out how to get that feeling of being free from whatever I need to be free of. I don’t know what I’m drinking to cover up. I haven’t had a drink since and plan on never having one again. Thank you for listening .
Stormy! Welcome to SR ! Sorry you relapsed! I only have 23 days but this site has been extremely helpful if I use it and show up and participate!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stormy! Welcome to SR ! Sorry you relapsed! I only have 23 days but this site has been extremely helpful if I use it and show up and participate!
sorry double post

Last edited by adrunk42long; 04-14-2021 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 04-14-2021, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stormy! How are you doing today?
Old 04-14-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Stormy.

Congrats on that 5-yrs of sobriety.

I had ten years myself while I raised my daughter, got her into college, etc.

Then thought: If there's ANYONE who deserves a drink it's me.

And was quickly back to where I had left off, and then much worse.

You've done it before, you CAN do it again.

Hope you're doing okay today.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven’t had a drink since and plan on never having one again.
Hi and welcome Stormy
thats a great aim - do you have any ideas on the nuts and bolts of how you'll stay sober?

D
Old 04-15-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Stormy and thank you for sharing, you have helped me today, I am almost 3 years sober and my mind can whisper that perhaps I could have a couple of drinks and be ok and it will not be ok i need to shut those thoughts down immediately.

I totally related to your post, wanting to drink to escape from, well life I suppose? and when I wasn't drinking I was thinking about when I could next drink. I lived to drink and I drank to live although it wasn't really living at the end, existing in a hellish limbo is more accurate.

You have been sober before and you can be sober again, at the moment all your neurons have been re lit by alcohol so your brain is wanting more and more and the only way to get through those urges is just that, get through them.

Something that Dee always says completely resonated with me. I had to build a life that I didn't want or feel the need to escape from. I am doing that today. Praying, meditation, gratitude, posting here, helping others, doing things with my friends and family, self care, exercise and eating well (working on that one) getting out in nature, baking, walking, learning something new, taking up a hobby. Doing things that make my soul happy. Before I had a gaping void and I filled it with alcohol. There is no room for alcohol anymore.

Be kind to yourself. Alcohol is very sneaky. Keep it in today only. Stay close to SR. You can do this

♥️🙏