Notices

Sober 2 years, ~3 months - Nurse's hug!

Old 04-13-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Sober 2 years, ~3 months - Nurse's hug!

Hi all!

So today I had a Dr. appointment planned and at the end of it a nurse came in with my discharge papers and lab papers. She probably doesn't remember me, I don't know her name to be fair. But I remember like 4 years ago, I went in shaking from alcohol but I was there for Blood pressure meds checkup. She saw my shaking and just gently asked about drinking and I took honesty approach for a long time and told her "ALOT" but - I also said the shaking from from a caffeine drink. She's like - you really don't shake like that from Caffeine... She said they could help get me sober and they have helped others with meds and what not. I felt embarrassed to a degree - she saw right through me, but also I knew it was truth.

I also remember how she just offered to help - not really judge and that they even helped people who needed it over and over (relapses). It did sit in my mind, every time time I've seen her since. Which there are several nurses in that office - so it was 25% chance I see her.

Today - I saw her at the end of the appointment. I had another nurse check me in so I was surprised, but I sprang into action. So I kinda closed the door a little and just said "Hey - you probably don't remember me - and that's fine, but I wanted to let you know that your kinds words stuck with me and was definitely a part of my sober process when I finally did it. I've been sober over 2 years now." She like just lit up so very happy and she said I'm so happy! She said "I talk to people all the time! I'm so proud of you!, I'm getting a hug!" And she hugged me! Masks and all. I'm like well - I just wanted to let you know -it makes an impact and it helped me.

I don't recall actually using the words Thank You - cause it was a mad dash get out the door thing also - for next person - but I think she gets it. Plus the hug threw me off. Typical Torn, overthinking it - Did I thank her? Does she know I'm thanking her? Anyways, she did help. I felt good. I hope it helped make her day a lil bit getting some positive feedback as well.

Ok - that's my share. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great story, Torn. And, you did thank the nurse and she knows it. I bet she will remember your comments for a long time, just as you remembered hers. Isn't is wonderful when someone reaches out with kindness and compassion!
Old 04-13-2021, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh that's lovely! I'm sure you made her day, telling her of your sobriety.

Thanks for sharing such a sweet encounter.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love this Torn!
Old 04-13-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
Hi all!

So today I had a Dr. appointment planned and at the end of it a nurse came in with my discharge papers and lab papers. She probably doesn't remember me, I don't know her name to be fair. But I remember like 4 years ago, I went in shaking from alcohol but I was there for Blood pressure meds checkup. She saw my shaking and just gently asked about drinking and I took honesty approach for a long time and told her "ALOT" but - I also said the shaking from from a caffeine drink. She's like - you really don't shake like that from Caffeine... She said they could help get me sober and they have helped others with meds and what not. I felt embarrassed to a degree - she saw right through me, but also I knew it was truth.

I also remember how she just offered to help - not really judge and that they even helped people who needed it over and over (relapses). It did sit in my mind, every time time I've seen her since. Which there are several nurses in that office - so it was 25% chance I see her.

Today - I saw her at the end of the appointment. I had another nurse check me in so I was surprised, but I sprang into action. So I kinda closed the door a little and just said "Hey - you probably don't remember me - and that's fine, but I wanted to let you know that your kinds words stuck with me and was definitely a part of my sober process when I finally did it. I've been sober over 2 years now." She like just lit up so very happy and she said I'm so happy! She said "I talk to people all the time! I'm so proud of you!, I'm getting a hug!" And she hugged me! Masks and all. I'm like well - I just wanted to let you know -it makes an impact and it helped me.

I don't recall actually using the words Thank You - cause it was a mad dash get out the door thing also - for next person - but I think she gets it. Plus the hug threw me off. Typical Torn, overthinking it - Did I thank her? Does she know I'm thanking her? Anyways, she did help. I felt good. I hope it helped make her day a lil bit getting some positive feedback as well.

Ok - that's my share. Thanks!
That’s a wonderful story! I’m a former health care provider, and I can guarantee that you made her day by letting her know she that impacted your life positively. I haven’t worked that job for many years but still remember the patients that thanked me, wrote me a letter about their progress, or tracked me down if I changed practices, because they appreciated my care.

Most of all, congratulations on your hard work and sobriety! 💕
Old 04-13-2021, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure she appreciated it. That was a good story.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

I’m sure she knows , she didn’t sound like she got bad news
Congratulations on your decision and keep truckin
Old 04-13-2021, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sure she knows too Torn

D
Old 04-13-2021, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, you THANKED her. This is such a great post, Torn.
Even if you didnt say Thank You. I hear a giant THANK YOU in everything that you said. You made her day. Probably her month. Possibly the year. She will not forget you and you will not forget her.
This post really had me smiling. You are doing so well and help others in such a positive way.
Thank You for being here, Torn. I appreciate you.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a wonderful story! Great job on seizing the moment and saying something, often we hesitate and let the opportunity go by.

Great job, Torn, and thanks so much for sharing it with us. You are indeed so thoughtful and kind.