Notices

Starting over.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over.

Well, I知 starting over again. My excuses for jumping off the wagon were several: grief after my wife of sixty years died and the Covid-19 isolation in the months after her death. I guess I thought drinking would give me something to do. Well it did but I now can think of better ways to spend time.

Just a few minutes ago I ceremoniously dumped a half bottle of vodka down the drain as a start to my newfound teetotaler-hood. I talked with my doctor yesterday and was strictly honest with him about my drinking. He felt that I知 in good enough shape at 83 that I can quit cold-turkey, even though I知 living alone. He prescribed a short course of Valium to ease any withdrawal issues that might arise. I do know pretty much what to expect with withdrawal: I quit for January this year with no major issues. I should have stayed quit; oh well.......

So, I値l be coming here more often and posting and looking for support. I値l schedule a leisurely walk for the time when I used to pour my first drink. And, I知 taking it on myself to relearn calculus: I think this should occupy time I used to spend drinking. I will be socializing more now too; I and my friends have had covid shots. Wish me luck😀

Old 04-13-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Cascabel. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife, what an amazing thing to be married for 60 years - I hope that you are able to find peace and celebrate some of the things that happened over those years. Your decision to come back here was a brave one and it sounds like you've made a lot of really good choices up to this point as well.

You were once a big part of this community and I hope it can be a place for you to find worth and help, it will be nice to have you back.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Cascabel!

I'm glad to hear that you've decided to stop drinking. I'm sure it will improve the quality of your life. I'm all for walking instead of drinking. That really helped me. I'm not sure about relearning calculus though. But, good for you for coming up with a plan that will work for you.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cascabel, I'm very sorry to read of the loss of your wife of 60 years. You've taken powerful steps in reclaiming your life from the bottle, consulting your doctor, obtaining withdrawal easing medication, pouring out the alcohol, and making plans for what to engage in during the recent 'drinking time', physical and mental.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm genuinely sorry about the loss of your wife. Death from Covid is so heartbreaking, not being able to be together at the end. I'm so sorry.

On the brighter side, I don't know if I should focus on this during your grief, but I'm going to risk it. I don't know if I should congratulate you on 83 years or for pouring your vodka down the drain. I'm hoping your relapse was brief, and that you will be here and lending your voice to the forum, again.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I'm genuinely sorry about the loss of your wife. Death from Covid is so heartbreaking, not being able to be together at the end. I'm so sorry.
Thank you for your kind words. Actually, my wife died of chronic lung rejection nine years after a double lung transplant. She passed, peacefully, on December 23, 2019. I was holding her hands when she died. I had been pretty much sober for the five years before she died. I had been an almost full-time caregiver for her for her last two years. It was hard to loose her and that痴 when I started drinking again. Not long after that the lock-downs for covid started and the isolation just made it worse. Things have gotten better over the last few months: the last demon I need to exorcise is alcohol.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry for your loss, but what a magnificent run you two had! Sixty years is amazing! My hat is off to you.

Glad you're quitting again, Cascabel, and may you have many more years in good health.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again I'm sorry for your loss Cascabel, but I'm glad to hear you are ready to be sober again

D
Old 04-13-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm so sorry for the death of your wife. Sixty years is a long time to travel together.

Glad you're getting sober again.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you back here to begin your sober life again. We know you can do it, Cascabel.

Calculus very ambitious of you.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Congrats on coming back and deciding to put down the poison.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im very sorry to hear of your loss. 60 years of marriage is very impressive.

It is so good that you came back here.

Relearning Calculus? GOOD FOR YOU! I loved reading that part. We are here for you, Cascabel.