Notices

3 weeks but no rainbows 🌈 or Sparkles yet!

Old 04-13-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks but no rainbows 🌈 or Sparkles yet!

Good Morning!
I wake up with three weeks sober this morning! I never thought I could stop the madness of my drinking so I am so grateful for the three weeks I have achieved! A couple of thoughts I have observed!

1. I thought I would feel better physically at 3 weeks! Still very tired and foggy brain!
I guess I had gone further into my addiction than I had realized.
It isn't as easy to bounce back when you get older and deeper into your addiction!

2. I was hoping I would feel better mentally as well!
I don't know why I thought I would be dancing on rainbows with sparkles coming out my butt at three weeks but I guess I did!
No rainbows or sparkles but not considering suicide or hating myself quite as much as I did three weeks ago either!
It has taken most of my adult life to get to be such a proficient drunk so maybe I need to have more patience with myself in
my sobriety!
Patience is not something I come by easily so this is important for me to keep in mind!
Don't get me wrong I am grateful for 3 weeks sober and all the goodl things that come with it!

Thank you all for all the support and kindness! I hope to be of help to others who pass this way.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

In my first post to Sober Recovery, back in Sept, 2010, I asked why, after two weeks sober, I wasn't seeing much difference.
And one of the first replies, said:

Be gentle with yourself....healing takes time....

So true. If I had to sum up all the replies to that first post in a word, it would be patience.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It has taken most of my adult life to get to be such a proficient drunk so maybe I need to have more patience with myself in my sobriety!

Yep! I don't exactly know what the ratio of sober time needed to overcome years of drinking is. I was a problem drinker for probably around 1,500 weeks, so 3 weeks of sober for me would have been (no pun intended) a drop in the bucket.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a good nine months before I felt settled and at peace with myself. I've read and heard many say it takes about a year.

Better a year sober than a year drunk.

Keep going.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

I began to feel considerably better around the 90 day mark - today is 104. It gets better gradually, and there will always be some crappy days to deal with. I'm 57, and I think the longer you soaked your brain, body, and organs in the formaldehyde that is ethanol, the longer it takes to heal the damage.

I find that for myself, so far, each day after my 90th gets a little better. At no point has it been unicorns and rainbows, but I'm definitely healing, slowly, but surely. 3 weeks in I was a mess - I was consuming mass quantities of chocolate almonds and carbonated cane sugar ginger drinks and pretty much allowing myself to eat whatever I wanted to beat back the cravings, along with relearning to recognize my addictive voice and shutting it down.

I was a cranky jackass even at 60 days sober. Keep on keeping on - you will get better. It takes different lengths of time for different individuals based on a lot of varying factors. Go easy on yourself and be patient.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustJohn;[url=tel:7621619
7621619[/url]]I began to feel considerably better around the 90 day mark - today is 104. It gets better gradually, and there will always be some crappy days to deal with. I'm 57, and I think the longer you soaked your brain, body, and organs in the formaldehyde that is ethanol, the longer it takes to heal the damage.

I find that for myself, so far, each day after my 90th gets a little better. At no point has it been unicorns and rainbows, but I'm definitely healing, slowly, but surely. 3 weeks in I was a mess - I was consuming mass quantities of chocolate almonds and carbonated cane sugar ginger drinks and pretty much allowing myself to eat whatever I wanted to beat back the cravings, along with relearning to recognize my addictive voice and shutting it down.

I was a cranky jackass even at 60 days sober. Keep on keeping on - you will get better. It takes different lengths of time for different individuals based on a lot of varying factors. Go easy on yourself and be patient.
You and I are kinda in the same boat John...57, and 103 days for me...Paws was being a real beech the first 90 days but like you, it’s getting slowly better...

Old 04-13-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adrunk42long View Post
Good Morning!
I wake up with three weeks sober this morning! I never thought I could stop the madness of my drinking so I am so grateful for the three weeks I have achieved! A couple of thoughts I have observed!

I think you are spot on about #1 I didn't feel that much better physcially when I quit, even though I was much younger. Feeling physically fit requires getting fit.

As for #2, not everyone experiences the pink cloud, and while I loved mine, others that also experienced it, played it down as just a "fleeting" thing that wouldn't last, which never sounded all that gratifying to me. But there is a mental thing that grows at a much slower peace, actually over the years in my case, that gradually becomes more comforting with time, and this is a payoff. But it's not like you're going to sit around waiting for that to happen. Look around you in the here and now. There's plenty for you to do, take care of, and enjoy.

You are in a good place right now, and enjoy this moment of sobriety.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adrunk42long;[url=tel:7621524
7621524[/url]]Good Morning!

1. I thought I would feel better physically at 3 weeks! Still very tired and foggy brain!
I guess I had gone further into my addiction than I had realized.
It isn't as easy to bounce back when you get older and deeper into your addiction!

2. I was hoping I would feel better mentally as well!
I don't know why I thought I would be dancing on rainbows with sparkles coming out my butt at three weeks but I guess I did!
No rainbows or sparkles but not considering suicide or hating myself quite as much as I did three weeks ago either!
It has taken most of my adult life to get to be such a proficient drunk so maybe I need to have more patience with myself in
my sobriety!
Patience is not something I come by easily so this is important for me to keep in mind!
Don't get me wrong I am grateful for 3 weeks sober and all the goodl things that come with it!

Thank you all for all the support and kindness! I hope to be of help to others who pass this way.
I hear ya on that!! I’m not patient or reasonable in thinking I should’ve felt better at three weeks....Im only 103 days and by now I thought I’d be feeling way better than I am now...Considerably better but still...

Hang in there...I’m here to tell ya...it does get better...I was where you are, and didn’t believe I would ever get better anytime soon...and I didn’t at first... but I’m gettin there...You will too!

Old 04-13-2021, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can only give you an example from my chapter:

One of the one things that was glaringly obvious to me was how bad my mental and emotional state had become with alcohol saturation. I had moments of feeling good initially and a lot of moments of the "fake it until you make it!" I knew my insides needed a good cleaning and reorganizing. I do believe a person can Marie Kondo their internal space.

I started with gratitude. The small stuff. Clothes. My home. My job. Friends. My bowl of granola. Actually, these are not small things at all now that I think about it. I digress, I started with a list of the things I am grateful for and when negative thoughts came in or my mood crashed, I continued on in Gratitude. I stopped with the negative self dialogue. Some days I went to bed early due to how mixed up my brain, mood and emotions were. I stood up against my head space which I have identified as being somewhat of a bully to me.....lol.

Not everyday is a rainbow but there is a rainbow somewhere everyday! ( WOW! I just came up with that or I am plagiarizing and I don't know it? Ill take it as a win!)

Life is filled with so much good and also bad. Today, I actually enjoy my own company and search for things that will bring positivity into my life. Books, people, websites etc.

You are right where you are supposed to be. I can promise that it does get better just as long as we work towards the "better."
Rome and the day thing, ya know?

Keep on Keepin' ON!
Old 04-13-2021, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never experienced the 'pink cloud' that some people mention. And, really, I'm glad I didn't. My recovery was slow, but steady and it gave time for my mind and body to catch up with each other. You are doing great!
Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're doing great! It just takes time for your body and brain to heal and get back to normal functioning. Keep doing what you're doing cause it gets better.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay sober one day at a time and keep progressing forwards in your recovery each day and everything will start to even itself out. It takes as long as it takes and inevitably it takes time 🙏
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Patience my friend
Old 04-13-2021, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Takes a special talent to fart sparkles...especially when sober.
The most important thing is you are not drinking. If I may...your Addictive Voice (AV) is telling you"
  • "This ain't all that!"
  • "It isn't accomplishing what you thought it was."
  • "Come back and have a drink old friend."
  • "See...sobriety isn't all that it is said to be."
And to that I say to the AV: SHUT THE &%$@ UP!!!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
In my first post to Sober Recovery, back in Sept, 2010, I asked why, after two weeks sober, I wasn't seeing much difference.
And one of the first replies, said:

Be gentle with yourself....healing takes time....

So true. If I had to sum up all the replies to that first post in a word, it would be patience.
doggone ! Thank you! I guess I need to learn Patients
Old 04-13-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
It has taken most of my adult life to get to be such a proficient drunk so maybe I need to have more patience with myself in my sobriety!

Yep! I don't exactly know what the ratio of sober time needed to overcome years of drinking is. I was a problem drinker for probably around 1,500 weeks, so 3 weeks of sober for me would have been (no pun intended) a drop in the bucket.
Zebra! Thank you!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It took me a good nine months before I felt settled and at peace with myself. I've read and heard many say it takes about a year.

Better a year sober than a year drunk.

Keep going.
Thanks Bimi! I think I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be right now!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
I began to feel considerably better around the 90 day mark - today is 104. It gets better gradually, and there will always be some crappy days to deal with. I'm 57, and I think the longer you soaked your brain, body, and organs in the formaldehyde that is ethanol, the longer it takes to heal the damage.

Thanks JJ it seems Patience is the key
Old 04-13-2021, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I think you are spot on about #1 I didn't feel that much better physcially when I quit, even though I was much younger. Feeling physically fit requires getting fit.

As for #2, not everyone experiences the pink cloud, and while I loved mine, others that also experienced it, played it down as just a "fleeting" thing that wouldn't last, which never sounded all that gratifying to me. But there is a mental thing that grows at a much slower peace, actually over the years in my case, that gradually becomes more comforting with time, and this is a payoff. But it's not like you're going to sit around waiting for that to happen. Look around you in the here and now. There's plenty for you to do, take care of, and enjoy.

You are in a good place right now, and enjoy this moment of sobriety.
Thanks Dri guy!!!
Old 04-13-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
I hear ya on that!! I’m not patient or reasonable in thinking I should’ve felt better at three weeks....Im only 103 days and by now I thought I’d be feeling way better than I am now...Considerably better but still...

Hang in there...I’m here to tell ya...it does get better...I was where you are, and didn’t believe I would ever get better anytime soon...and I didn’t at first... but I’m gettin there...You will too!

Thsnk you Intro! I appreciate the support!!