Notices

The Paths That You Went

Old 04-11-2021, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Paths That You Went

Good morning from the mountains!
The more sober time I have, (forty something days,) the more I think about going back to school, and finally graduating. It would feel so good to finally complete something like that.
I'm curious about you all... When you got sober, and could start thinking about what you wanted to become/do, which path you took, etc...
If you feel like it, could you share? Thank you all!
Old 04-11-2021, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are so many good stories of people who made significant changes for the positive after quitting alcohol.

Personally, my focus has been to calm my mind and to be happy in sobriety and life. I do not have any big goals other than painting my house this summer. Like, power washing, scrapping, taping, painting and seeing that we accomplished giving our home a nice upgrade in color. I am looking to the future in some respects but also keeping my brain and self in the day to day.

The pandemic has allowed me to really look at what is important in my life and what is not. I was in a really bad mental and emotional place for so long. Change was required and it has taken monumental effort to get here. Practicing gratitude, working on the insides, maintaining sobriety and giving back are really the only current goals. I believe any changes or other improvements will come to me when they are ready to present themselves. For now, I am here and present in my world and grateful to be.

Finishing your education would create so much positivity for you. Confidence. Knowledge. Perhaps a financial boost. Many doors are there to be opened. This is a wonderful goal for you to reach! I've always wanted to learn to weld big giant sculptures. My coworker is in a welding class right now and he has been enjoying it.........GO YOU!

Old 04-11-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was 54 when I quit for good over a year ago. I was an absolutely insane drinker for 30+ year, the last 10 off the rails. The big change that I have achieved is getting further and further away from that. I don't know if I have any big career or education changes left in me. I still feel new at this and the daily physical rewards of sobriety are still so profound for me, I don't feel like I need anything else - or at least at this point, the spirit has not yet moved me to try other things with my life. I do work a second job, mostly on weekends, working with my hands, which really has scratched an itch I have always had. My life is peaceful and quiet. My daughters want to hang out with me. I'm good at my job for the first time in a long time. My small house is clean. Those are all such HUGE changes for me, I feel like it is all I can handle and all I need.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Like Surrendered19, I quit later in life. Fifty-three for me, with 35 years of daily drinking in my wake. So career changes wasn't something I was thinking about. I was newly married though. So get through the next day sober--for me and for my new wife--was my main focus. For about two years. After that, I could think about my passions in life and what I wanted to do as I continued on with recovery.

I did go to school late, though. What they called a "returning student". Got my undergrad and masters both before I turned 40. So I encourage you to finish. It's a great accomplishment.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm about the age of the prior two posters and am satisfied with my work/career. What I have done, though, is dive back into old hobbies that were put on hold due to being too drunk (tired, distracted, unable to focus, etc.). This has been a fundamental part of staying sober as it fills in the time and "fun" that drinking occupied.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I got an MBA back in the early 2000's. I have the diploma hanging in my office. I am proud of it.

It helps me with work and adds to my confidence dealing with finances at home. My MBA training was always about team building and presentations (e.g. building a business plan). I get to lecture at work sometimes now, so my degree helps me a bunch. Being stone cold sober helps a bunch too.

I have also interviewed for jobs and I believe the MBA, and being a born again non drinker, sets me apart.

Get the degree for sure. It can only help.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shortly after I got sober I retired early. I retired early as a way to reduce stress, and yeah I had to tighten my belt a little but not as much as I thought, and it was only for a short while. I had already been divorced for 4 years, and that reduced a lot of stress, but the biggest stress reduction by far was my sobriety. And top that off with a lot of joy from just not being hooked to an addiction.

I still had goals, I finished building my third house (carpentry was one of my hobbies), and I sold that to live on a boat and sail across an ocean, and I got that out of the way. So after that, I was facing one of those "what do I do now" moments. I always saw life as a series of adventures, and argued that "He who dies with the most adventures, wins." But I liked this stress reduction mode that was now serving me well, so... I decided I didn't have to do anything but just enjoy.

Of course you can't do nothing. It's impossible because there is always something, but you can slow down and focus on enjoying it all, without competition, without needing more, and just finding pleasure in contentment. I hike a nearby trail system, take care of my lawn, fix things around the house at my own speed, and have become a home body. I still have to solve problems, but I have no financial worries, at least not now. I'd always been aware of stress in my life, even stress associated with success. Even winning was stressful. My goal now is to get rid of as much of that as I can. It's a goal, but actually I'm pretty much there. I have what I want, and the only thing left to do is enjoy it. But I don't struggle to enjoy. That would be stressful.

Does that make sense?
Old 04-12-2021, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Driguy- All of that makes sense to me. Wonderful post!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found it very important to finish my education when I was still in my career, BS deg at age 32, MS deg at 42. It really helped me in many ways, especially beyond work, and I highly recommend doing so.

I had already retired early when I got sober in 2013. I love travel and experiencing other cultures but there were always fears and concerns and I was so stuck when I was still drinking. Both emotionally and mentally. Once I quit, it all changed. Within 6 months I got on a plane. Since then I've been to several countries, lived in Southeast Asia for a couple years and still spend half the year there with my GF (except this year). We have tropical adventures and frequently travel to other countries in the region - Bali, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc. I absolutely love the cultures, people and food over there.

I have found creative ways to manage all of this financially, that I wouldn't have thought possible before. I have a rental property and even rent my main home to a retired couple who want to be in the desert in wintertime. That income pays for my travel and I don't have to worry about something happening when I'm away. When I am here I live a simple life without social media, cable TV or any other distractions. I enjoy my natural surroundings, hike/bike, volunteer, do my hobbies and home projects, take motorcycle camping trips to the mountains and west coast. I do agree about slowing down and appreciating the simple moments, especially in this past year.

Everything seemed to work out, financially, emotionally and otherwise.. once I stopped drinking. Especially the seemingly insurmountable problems and challenges. When we quit our addictions we become more emotionally stable, can think clearly, set our priorities, and start doing the things we are passionate about again. Life just happens without all the stress. This is very important, because none of us knows how much time we have left. So enjoy every moment. I am very grateful.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My goal was to have a peaceful, orderly and quiet life. No drama!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all for sharing!! What inspirational shares you all wrote.
Traveling is definitely something I am passionate about, but well, with Covid... you know. Maybe some time in the near future
I cannot wait to get onto a plane and fly off to somewhere beautiful. Though, I live in a pretty beautiful spot right now. I've never really seen it that way, because my vision has always been blurry (metaphorically and literally.) Yesterday, I spent the morning at a lake that has a beach area. Went hiking for an hour or so to be by a river. Bought flowers to plant for customers of mine. Had my parents and a friend over for supper. Watched half a movie and went to bed. What could be better than a day spent similar to that?

Thanks again everyone.