Notices

What's your opinion on alchohol free wine and beer?

Old 04-09-2021, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's your opinion on alchohol free wine and beer?

Just curious whether you think it's ok to have or do u think it makes cravings worse?
Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't care for it cause I never drank wine for the taste, but just to get drunk. If I drank af wine, I'd just be looking for the buzz and it might lead me to buying the real thing.

Some people like it and some don't.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think drinking something that reminds you of what you used to drink this early in recovery is not a great idea. You might be knee deep in old behaviours and not even realise it.

I tried NA to help me quit...but I missed the buzz.
When the chance came along to drink a real beer I took it...

I rationalised that it would be just one...you know how that goes.

There are lots of yummy non alcoholic drinks out there that won't remind you of your favourite tipple.
Try one of those instead

D
Old 04-09-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Was just curious really. I dont like the taste of it either and I can do without the calories to be honest.. just I know people who have it at a party to disguise that they are not drinking.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of varying opinions on n/a products here on SR. As more is known about the toxicity of alcohol and how destructive it is to health, even in moderate amounts, the range of non-alcoholic products is exploding - beer, wine, cider, even whiskies are proliferating with non-alcoholic options. Non-alcoholic drinks don't really interest me, but if they are part of a sober and healthy journey, I don't see the harm.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I just have to keep remembering how bad it was and how good it is now.

Drinking is a learned behavior. It was a big part of the story of my life, but now it's changed.

I enjoy refreshing water, sparkling water, coffee, tea, diet soda, juices, homemade juice. Booze is not my thing anymore.

But, that is me.

I am like the others. I never drank booze for the taste.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by OverthePanic View Post
Was just curious really. I dont like the taste of it either and I can do without the calories to be honest.. just I know people who have it at a party to disguise that they are not drinking.
trying to disguise myself as a drinker really was not the right way to go for me. I had to be sober and be comfortable, fearless even, with embracing that - or I knew I would inevitably cave and return to my former life.

D

# 8 (permalink)  

I agree...I drank for the high and the buzz...Wouldn’t like NA beer...what’s the point in that...it would drive me to an alcoholic beer anyway so I’d just leave it alone altogether

# 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

trying to disguise myself as a drinker really was not the right way to go for me. I had to be sober and be comfortable, fearless even, with embracing that - or I knew I would inevitably cave and return to my former life.

D

Old 04-09-2021, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Just curious whether you think it's ok to have or do u think it makes cravings worse?
It tastes nasty and still has a small amount of alcohol in it - some brands have more alcohol content than others. Might be enough to trigger a relapse. I'd avoid it. See attached link:

Jun 19, 2020 / By Segue Recovery / In blog

THE DANGERS OF NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER

Once you’re pursuing recovery from alcohol addiction, non-alcoholic beer may seem like an appealing and safe option. After all, it won’t get you drunk and lead to problems such as reckless behavior, impaired judgment or blackouts. However, non-alcoholic beer has several issues you should be aware of. Here’s why recovering alcoholics should steer clear of “near beer.”

WHY IS NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER DANGEROUS FOR RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS?

You may gravitate to “near beer” because you don’t like feeling left out during parties and other social occasions where people are drinking. However, it’s better to stick with water or soft drinks at these gatherings. There are plenty of other ways to enjoy yourself that don’t center on getting drunk.

Though it’s nearly impossible for non-alcoholic beer to make you intoxicated, the drink can be a powerful trigger, creating cravings that set up the circumstances for a relapse. The risk is not worth sacrificing your sobriety over.

Consider these dangers of non-alcoholic beer.

IT STILL HAS SOME ALCOHOL

It may surprise you to learn that most non-alcoholic beer still has trace amounts of alcohol. Though some companies advertise an alcohol content of 0%, the alcohol by volume in most near beers is usually around 0.5%, in comparison with the average 5% ABV of alcoholic beer. It’s unlikely you’ll notice any effect from drinking such a minute amount of alcohol, but that doesn’t mean it can’t pave the way to rationalize having a stronger drink.

Giving in to temptation and drinking a non-alcoholic beer can undo years of progress, starting the vicious cycle of desire and destruction all over again.

THE LOOK, SMELL AND TASTE

Aside from the low alcohol content, non-alcoholic beer is exactly like normal beer. The look, smell and taste of beer – even the fact that the label and bottle are virtually identical – can be a significant trigger for someone in early recovery. The same sensory experiences associated with drinking beer, minus the intoxicating effect, can cause frustration.

Near beer can trigger a condition known as euphoric recall, a form of selective memory in which a recovering addict glamorizes their active addiction, while ignoring all the negative effects it had on their life. In the face of extreme cravings, this problem intensifies even more.

IT SERVES AS A BEHAVIORAL CRUTCH

Recovering addicts must work every day to avoid a relapse. That means avoiding the people, places and things associated with your drinking habit. Once you move out of the structure of treatment, it will be essential for you to establish new hobbies, friendships and behaviors that don’t revolve around drinking.

For a recovering alcoholic, drinking non-alcoholic beer serves as a slippery slope. Even though you won’t get drunk, the urges and triggers it creates can be too powerful. It’s best to stay on the safe path and avoid non-alcoholic beer.

DO YOU NEED HELP FOR YOUR ALCOHOL ADDICTION?

The desire to drink non-alcoholic beer may signify that you are not as dedicated to your recovery as you should be, and that you aren’t entirely willing to leave the negativity of your addiction behind you. It could also indicate that you have not fully addressed the reasons behind your substance abuse problem, which might suggest the need for an environment that provides additional structure and accountability.
seguerecovery.com
Old 04-09-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never tried to disguise myself as a drinker. I don't give a crap what others think of me cause it's none of their business what I do and it's none of my business what they think of me.

I'm proud to be sober. I'm a lot happier this way and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not a fan of it myself, For me it led back to drinking the real thing in very short order.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

I can't imagine anyone at a party paying any attention to what i am drinking or not drinking. Surely they have more on their minds than me and my choice of beverage.
If I ever felt the need to disguise my behavior, I would want to know why I felt the need.
My experiments with non-alcoholic beverages never ended well, although they did tell me what I needed to know.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic drinks are for non alcoholics, IMHO. I think for me it would be a redflag that I'm on my way to a relapse.

Tread lightly friend
Old 04-09-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The next night I was back to regular Pinot. So for me, it wasn't helpful.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What's the point?
I drank to get blitzed, not for the taste.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Most of the times it's the same company with the same intentions to make money. It's that little percentage of alcohol they have in these so called non alcoholic drinks that keep you satisfied with the taste. Then after awhile back to the good old hard poison stuff. I rather drink a nice cold ice coffee.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I didn't read the replies but I can say, I tried and failed everything stinking time.

YMMV
Old 04-10-2021, 12:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

Were you a beer and wine drinker? If so, probably not a great idea.
I use fake wine, and real beer for cooking (I know others won't agree with this, but beer is so needed in some recipes to me, and the alcohol cooks out).
they arent triggers to me as I was primarily a hard liquor drinker.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I use fake wine, and real beer for cooking (I know others won't agree with this, but beer is so needed in some recipes to me, and the alcohol cooks out).
not picking on you AR but every time the NA discussion heads this way into cooking and every time I or Anna have to post this link.

it doesn't cook out as much as you might think.

Personally I don't believe there are any dishes that need alcohol.

I haven't cooked with alcohol for 14 years - I think rather than lose flavour, the absence of alcohol allows the other flavours of whatever you're making to come out.

I think most of us would admit we know it doesn't really matter if you only drank spirits or wine, or beer - alcohol is alcohol.

This is my personal opinion.

Obviously people will do what they want to do - but anyone in early recovery, especially if you're struggling, I reckon try the totally alcohol free lifestyle - give it a go

D