Notices

What's your opinion on alchohol free wine and beer?

Old 04-10-2021, 01:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I don't care for it cause I never drank wine for the taste, but just to get drunk. If I drank af wine, I'd just be looking for the buzz and it might lead me to buying the real thing.

Some people like it and some don't.
Originally Posted by OverthePanic View Post
Just curious whether you think it's ok to have or do u think it makes cravings worse?
Your question reminds me of a funny story. I was on vacation and we went to a pub to eat. My partner asked me what I would like to drink. I never drink AF drinks but they had a sign at the bar "Dog Beer, Alcohol Free' so I ordered that and the bar keeper asked me "chicken and beef flavour?" It made us all chuckle because I thought " Dog Beer " was the brand name of the beer, but it was really for the dogs.
So that was my only attempt of AF beer.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
not picking on you AR but every time the NA discussion heads this way into cooking and every time I or Anna have to post this link.

it doesn't cook out as much as you might think.

Personally I don't believe there are any dishes that need alcohol.

I haven't cooked with alcohol for 14 years - I think rather than lose flavour, the absence of alcohol allows the other flavours of whatever you're making to come out.

I think most of us would admit we know it doesn't really matter if you only drank spirits or wine, or beer - alcohol is alcohol.

This is my personal opinion.

Obviously people will do what they want to do - but anyone in early recovery, especially if you're struggling, I reckon try the totally alcohol free lifestyle - give it a go

D
More alcohol in orange juice and mouthwash. 5% of 5% alcohol content is....almost nothing.
I use real beer because it's what we have at the house, I don't have any fake beer so I just use the reap stuff.
I do think it enhances the flavor in some recipes.
it comes up in recipes a few times a year. I'm not against using the fake stuff, Im just not running out to buy any.
haven't used it in months so, unless you count listerine (NOT willing to compromise on oral hygiene, and haven't seen any alcohol free mouthwash), I'm still 4 weeks sober.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
More alcohol in orange juice and mouthwash. 5% of 5% alcohol content is....almost nothing.
I use real beer because it's what we have at the house, I don't have any fake beer so I just use the reap stuff.
I do think it enhances the flavor in some recipes.
it comes up in recipes a few times a year. I'm not against using the fake stuff, Im just not running out to buy any.
haven't used it in months so, unless you count listerine (NOT willing to compromise on oral hygiene, and haven't seen any alcohol free mouthwash), I'm still 4 weeks sober.
I just looked and apparently there is zero alcohol listening, I just can't get it here? Boo.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Not for this alcoholic.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said anxiousrock this sub-topic comes up every time we discuss NA stuff and every single time someone defends cooking with alcohol

I'll still make the point because I think it's important - not because I'm scrapping for a fight

I'll do me and you do you, Sam.

D
Old 04-10-2021, 03:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think this is clearly in the horses and courses department.

I do cook mussels with wine or beer and if I am in mood I have an NA drink. But that is because I KNOW it is not an issue for me. Any doubt, knock it out.

X
Old 04-10-2021, 03:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like I said anxiousrock this sub-topic comes up every time we discuss NA stuff and every single time someone defends cooking with alcohol

I'll still make the point because I think it's important - not because I'm scrapping for a fight

I'll do me and you do you, Sam.

D
Oh I don't see it as scrapping! It's knowledge and experience, and it's valuable to me, and other newbies. Heck, even to those with lots of sober time. You can always learn.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Instead of drinking, you pretend to be drinking. Something seems terribly wrong with that picture.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and opinions it was from a sober app I was reading, there seems to be a lot of people talking about have NA beers/wines instead if they were at a dinner party in early sobriety and didnt want to engage in the "why are you not drinking tonight" conversation..personally I dont like the taste and couldnt be bothered there are nicer things to drink but was interested to know all your views.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I just looked and apparently there is zero alcohol listening, I just can't get it here? Boo.
I've used the zero alcohol / alcohol free version of Listerine for many years, even when I was a daily drinker. The version with alcohol used to make my mouth and gums sting and my dentist recommended the alcohol free version. Fortunately the zero alcohol version is easy to find in the UK.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The only alcohol free beer that I sometimes drink is a beverage where I've never drank the alcohol equivalent so it doesn't trigger me in any way. However I would only drink it if I was out for a meal, I wouldn't want to drink it all night as it is far too sugary. On a night out I would rather have something that was intended to be non-alcoholic in the first place.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Elke516 View Post
Your question reminds me of a funny story. I was on vacation and we went to a pub to eat. My partner asked me what I would like to drink. I never drink AF drinks but they had a sign at the bar "Dog Beer, Alcohol Free' so I ordered that and the bar keeper asked me "chicken and beef flavour?" It made us all chuckle because I thought " Dog Beer " was the brand name of the beer, but it was really for the dogs.
So that was my only attempt of AF beer.
Literally chuckled out loud at this story

Old 04-10-2021, 06:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Toward the end when I was not sure how to quit, I walked into my bar one night and ordered a coffee, and then made a big deal about quitting, as if the bar maid cared one way or the other. What was I doing in the bar? I was hanging on, when I should have been letting go. Then I went to my other bar, and ordered a whisky. I almost forgot about that until now. I'm embarrassed, but back then it somehow made sense.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My alcohol of choice was wine and I do like the taste of wines, and recognize if I didn’t like a bottle or it had turned corky, etc... So the non alcoholic wines to me taste awful. The one or two I tried, while pregnant, were just gross to me. I had a similar experience trying non alcoholic beer, though it’s definitely better than the NA wine. I just don’t see wasting carbs, calories and money on a drink I don’t like. Of course there’s also the fact that I drank it for the effect.

I enjoy sparkling waters. If you need to look like you’re drinking, stick some ice and a wedge of lime in it. But, I don’t see a reason to pretend. Well, I did it once when we were younger and I was newly pregnant, and didn’t want to be scrutinized. People would ask if you were pregnant in those days, if you were a woman and not drinking when you typically would.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and opinions it was from a sober app I was reading, there seems to be a lot of people talking about have NA beers/wines instead if they were at a dinner party in early sobriety and didnt want to engage in the "why are you not drinking tonight" conversation..personally I dont like the taste and couldnt be bothered there are nicer things to drink but was interested to know all your views.
I think ^this underlined bit is an important part of sobriety and certainly needs to be addressed.

I could not care any less about what other people think about me not drinking. I also won't eat okra or oysters. I don't go into a bit long explanation, I just say, "No, thanks."

It's no one's business what food or drink I put in my body. Most people accept the, "No thanks," graciously. Those who don't get to hear it again with direct eye contact and no wavering on my part.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It totally depends on the individual. I have a few cans of alcohol free beer in the house, but I might drink one or two a week now. When I first quit, I had a few massive cravings after 8 weeks or so due to a family problem, and I had a “binge” with a few cans of alcohol free. I could therefore argue that alcohol free beer was the lesser of two evils for me.

I’ll add two caveats. If you’re worried alcohol free drinks will lead to a relapse, steer clear. Also, be very wary of sugar content. My drunk of choice has less than a teaspoon of sugar per can, but some have nearly ten times that amount!
Old 04-10-2021, 11:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just curious whether you think it's ok to have or do u think it makes cravings worse?
Your question reminds me of a funny story. I was on vacation and we went to a pub for food. My partner asked me what I would like to drink. Usually I never go for a NA beer or wine but there was this sign behind the bar "Dog Beer Alcohol Free". So I thought I'll try that for a change. My other half thought it was for dogs but I thought it's a brand name. So he ordered it for me and he came back laughing his head off asking me what flavour I want, chicken or beef. I was so embarrassed but it was funny at the same time.

So be careful what you wish for

Old 04-10-2021, 01:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I was a beer drinker for many decades, in part because I've always enjoyed the taste of beer. Once I realized that alcohol was causing me more problems than it was worth I gave up all alcohol, including beer, for a year. Since then I have found that NA beers are a nice treat to have and it doesn't trigger me to want alcohol. For me it's nice to have the option of drinking what I really want to taste.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elke516 View Post
Your question reminds me of a funny story. I was on vacation and we went to a pub for food. My partner asked me what I would like to drink. Usually I never go for a NA beer or wine but there was this sign behind the bar "Dog Beer Alcohol Free". So I thought I'll try that for a change. My other half thought it was for dogs but I thought it's a brand name. So he ordered it for me and he came back laughing his head off asking me what flavour I want, chicken or beef. I was so embarrassed but it was funny at the same time.

So be careful what you wish for
😂😂😂 Hilarious Elke