Notices

Getting on the wagon now

Old 03-30-2021, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting on the wagon now

Hi. I just went 1 month sober exactly and decided to have some stack of beer. Now day 3 and I even happened to find a bottle of eau de toilette with denaturated alcohol in it and putting this in my body now, just to dampen the effects of hangover. I know everything is possible without alcohol and I hate, really hate these states where the hangover is gnawing away at you. Lucky me this is a short spree which usually in my case results in drinking daily for months. Trying to put the drink down and join the sober world.

Also I\m quitting nicotine using the electronic cigarette, a really basic model but so far it s been working. Nice to be here with you folks. Keep on...
Old 03-30-2021, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The sober world is nice Yojimbo, the first year is hard. You can do it good luck.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome yojimbo

Drinking eau de cologne is likely to put you in the hospital - drink lots of water instead - a hangover can only last so long.

Sounds like you need a plan to stay sober- you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 03-30-2021, 01:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's dangerous territory @yojimbo! Be careful and be safe.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah that cologne is not meant for drinking. That is dangerous territory yes, warning heeded.
Thanks for the support. Last time I went sober for a month there were many days where my mind would be wandering on its own, and strange unfamiliar emotional responses in the body were there as well. I got attached to an indie video game. And with lots of gameplay I just played on that and remained sober. It\s the fear of those tougher moments that just makes me want to drink but they aren\t really that tough in reality.

My mind is exaggerating things, that sobriety is not worth it and so. Another impact of the hangover state. Brought to you by alcohol. No thanks to this. The video game was actually a true gem, and I enjoyed the storyline and completely immersed in it without alcohol. And to not become a total social outcast, I must meet and converse with other people. This should help. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard
Old 03-30-2021, 02:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This place saved my life. I now get high on life. Heavy exercise was needed early on, but now I feel good doing just about everything. I have adapted. It took a while.

What indie video game do you like....sounds cool?

I check SR all the time. I look at social media, news, email, bank stuff, SR, video games, tv etc etc. My sober routine.

Sober people have sober routines. Starts when I wake up with hygiene and coffee. Goes from there. Work now helps. When I was off work due to covid I was more bored but I filled the time.

Exercise is a big deal. Taking a long walk, e.g. 2 hours for me, while listening to music/pod cast was great.

After a while, filling the time turns into sober life. This is what sober people do.

I still crave, but I know better.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
eau de toilette with denaturated alcohol in it and putting this in my body now, just to dampen the effects of hangover.
"Denatured" is such and odd name to give something that has been chemically altered so that it kills you. I've heard this modification dates back to prohibition, but I've often questioned that. Making a medical application for external use kill you if you drink it? Isn't that a rather draconian method of behavior modification? I mean the hangover is enough to tell you you shouldn't drink. If the Firearms Alcohol and Tobacco authorities caught you drinking, I could understand making you pay a big fine, but altering alcohol so that it kills you seems a bit like going overboard. The government actually thought that was a good idea? There must be something there that is false information that I was foolish enough to believe.

I would recommend rehabilitation over execution. It just seems a lot nicer.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DriGuy> the denatured alcohol is not meant to be consumed by humans, but it goes for an alcoholic. And what fine could they make out? Nice points there.
D122y> The sober routine must be like the building blocks to create an environment without the need for alcohol. I also like to move outdoors, take long walks and challenge my social problems by facing people and being with them. Also hygiene is a big bonus of being sober. Taking regular showers for instance.

Just an update here.. I called a friend and he brought me a 6-pack of beer and a few temazepam sleeping meds, which I have no prescription for and use solely to evade the evil hangover and to get in gear for tomorrow. That is when this madness ends and must end. I\ve noticed odd cravings for alcohol in the beginning of nicotine withdrawal. They are much stronger than if I just kept using an electronic cigarette, I am sure they pass though. Thanks for all the replies. We can do this!
Old 03-30-2021, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

D122y> The video game is for pc and has a deep story to the plot. It is free also but in order to play it you might need to install rpg maker 2000 on your computer and also RTP (runtime-package), since it contains some files the game might need. The game itself is called *The Way*.

If I remember correctly you can download the game here..
rpgmaker.net/ (I can\t post links due to being a new member, but it is there on that server and website)

It has helped me remain sober in my previous stints at sobriety and if youre into this kind of thing it just might be for you.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't drink that 6 pack.

Pour it out, drink water and have something to eat. Take a nap and a walk.

I wouldn't take a benzo with alcohol! That could kill you. Not only that, it's a controlled substance and illegal without a prescription.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Too late biminiblue. 4 beers left until sobriety. And sober is the new black.
I understand your concern it is just that I do this thing this way and now.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You do understand how crazy that sounds, right? "One more!" "Just four more beers and then I'll be sober!"

Carry on. Withdrawal will be no better nor worse if you pour out those four.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That sounds and is crazy alright. I\ll just pour away two beers. The sleeping meds are affecting me as well.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-30-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi yojimbo - it's great to have you with us. You sound ready to get free of that poison. A better life is waiting.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sober style

Yo yojimbo! The sober world as embodied here by the SR community would be glad to help you do this thing, put that poison in the rear view mirror for good.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
Yeah that cologne is not meant for drinking. That is dangerous territory yes, warning heeded.
Thanks for the support. Last time I went sober for a month there were many days where my mind would be wandering on its own, and strange unfamiliar emotional responses in the body were there as well. I got attached to an indie video game. And with lots of gameplay I just played on that and remained sober. It\s the fear of those tougher moments that just makes me want to drink but they aren\t really that tough in reality.

My mind is exaggerating things, that sobriety is not worth it and so. Another impact of the hangover state. Brought to you by alcohol. No thanks to this. The video game was actually a true gem, and I enjoyed the storyline and completely immersed in it without alcohol. And to not become a total social outcast, I must meet and converse with other people. This should help. Thanks again for the replies.
Stick around and read around and you will learn lots of ways to deal with quitting and the tough moments. It makes it a lot easier at the very least. You wont find anyone on this site saying they wish they were still drinking for a reason. That addictive voice will try to make you think otherwise (which is why folks keep drinking), once you get a little bit of the way out of the veil of drinking you start to see that it is actually much better not drinking, and you will believe it sincerely. Just stick to it and keep going. Whatever it takes. Soon it wont be an issue...... Just a matter of time.