Notices

I ain't no superhero

Old 03-30-2021, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I ain't no superhero

But surely I can find the powers on myself to get this right. The sooner the better.
I swore to never drink again here like many others but came unstuck. I came to write here but couldn't do it.
I was caught off guard by some relationship problems, for lack of better explanation, and I didn't have the tools or strength or motivation to just sleep that afternoon off.
It's nobodies fault but my own. I am the only one who can change me. I now walk the tightrope between drinking some and falling again. The Fatigue and lack of control surely will push me over tomorrow, next week or 2 weeks tops.
That one choice to drink that one beer.
anyhow, tomorrow is a new day and I need to get back on solid land and keep learning how the drink will not help. It almost does nothing after time but make me want more.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well we could all be superheroes for all I know but having a problem with alcohol is quite a foe in itself. Maybe just being aware of the truth that you\re not alone with this problem and it is possible to live sober and actually be content with everything.

The other thing about this alcohol addiction is that it could happen to anyone. I know a person who always detested drugs and now she\s addicted to amphetamines. If I told anyone no-one would likely believe me that this person is high on that most of the time. Because of this, I think it might be reasonable to be somehow more kind to oneself and understand that were human and we all make mistakes. It is not a weakness in our personality but just the nature of the drugs and substances involved and how they affect the human body and being.

Anyway thanks for the thread. This is supportive to me as well as I\m getting sober here too. Good luck with the day youre having.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back Final Call. No one could ever call it easy but you can make the right choice for just one day and get a day one under your belt again. We'll help - use us as much as you need to.

D
Old 03-30-2021, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, both of you! It can be done.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that you could be a less hard on yourself, as yojimbo notes. But you could also be more demanding of yourself. You say, "It's nobodies fault but my own," but it would be more accurate to say, "It's nobodies responsibility but my own."

When the cards were dealt, you got stuck with the Old Maid. Others got the Get Out of Jail Free Card. Those are nobodies faults, but it is your responsibility to make the necessary behavior changes to compensate for your handicap (the card you were dealt, but didn't ask for). You can have a normal life, but you have to understand that alcohol is not a requirement to be normal. If you disagree, I think you are setting your standards much to low and your expectations much to high. Who says you have to consume alcohol to be normal?

But I should stop with the metaphors. The simple truth is that you have an addiction, and your one way to end it, is to stop using and break the cycle. Yeah, OK, you will still have the addiction, but you will no longer be feeding the cycle. After that you can work toward getting your mind right.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take one day at a time. Think about what's going well today. We're alive, which is a good start
Old 03-30-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You got this FinalCall. Find a way and I promise you in a month, two months...you'll feel like a superhero. I heard on a podcast yesterday someone exclaim "I can't believe some fermented liquid was more powerful than me." When I heard them say that I just pictured stagnant, standing water...the type you see in a bucket that's been sitting outside...brownish...maybe some mosquito larva. Not something I would ever consider drinking. Alcohol is no different...just poisonous, stagnant liquid filled with stuff you don't want in your body or mind.

Sometimes visualizations like this can help kick those cravings aside.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Final Call?

D
Old 03-30-2021, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Finalcall View Post
That one choice to drink that one beer.
That's all it ever takes - one choice, one drink. You can do this. Learning to recognize my addictive voice has gotten me to the 90 day mark today. Keep giving sobriety a chance and it will eventually stick!
Old 03-31-2021, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, Finalcall. I hope you're doing ok.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not quite there yet.
tired of this constant battle of drink and not drink.
I have the time to put it all together now. Just got to do it.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Finalcall - You're on your way to getting free of it. This can be the last time you make yourself miserable.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not quite there yet.
tired of this constant battle of drink and not drink.
I have the time to put it all together now. Just got to do it.
Lay down your weapons, stop fighting, and commit completely to don't drink FC.
D