Notices

Mystery problems

Old 03-27-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mystery problems

This breathing issue I have been having has taken over my life in some respects.

Ive been on Benadryl and Claritin for weeks and I am still experiencing the episodes. I started an herbal concoction too.
Needless to say there has been tears and worry. I get through the episodes but they are really intense and I've been fatigued after. I cry after. Crying mainly because I am exhausted and frustrated and a bit scared....

So far so good this morning. I can feel the episode coming on now that my body has been doing this for awhile. My lips and nose get a tingly feeling and then within 5 minutes my throat tightens, my lungs tighten and I cant get a deep breathe. Lots of coughing, Yesterday, I was coughing and then the subsequent vomit from coughing. Its all been really strange.
My nose runs. Then there is lots of clearing of the throat. It goes on and on.

I like to think I am in an episode of House. At the beginning of the episode they show the person having strange symptoms. They end up with Dr. House who identifies that its the dirt on the bottom of a shoe from a trip to the store that has caused the reaction. I'm surprised that any of this is happening to be honest. I am healthy. Ive never had allergic reactions or any real physical issues in my life. Now...... ugh.....I keep on keeping on.

So, I have an appointment this upcoming Wednesday. I haven't died yet. So that is good.
Just wanted to share this because I dont talk to many people and you guys are a safe place. Wish me luck!
Old 03-27-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear that ... is it anxiety, or an allergy maybe ?
i truly hope you get it sorted out.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
I am so sorry to hear that ... is it anxiety, or an allergy maybe ?
i truly hope you get it sorted out.
Its not anxiety. I have anxiety but it does not manifest in this way. Its just all of a sudden.
Its a mystery really.
Thanks for your compassion. To the doctor I finally go.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck, Mizz. It does sound like one for House.

You did clean your shoes - just to be safe, right?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Good luck, Mizz. It does sound like one for House.

You did clean your shoes - just to be safe, right?

Ya! I have been wracking my brain for any new items that have been introduced to my environment.
I could be allergic to myself. I need a Buzz Light Year helmet!
Old 03-27-2021, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry, Mizz. I recently played Dr House myself and resolved an initially mysterious issue of airway and eye irritation. I didn't have breathing difficulties, but an uncomfortable, irritated, itchy sensation in my airways that induced coughing. It started gradually back in the winter, would seemingly resolve for a day or two, then return - very annoying. My eyes also often felt dry and one of my lower lids constantly mildly inflamed or something (red). I was planning to bring it up to my GP and maybe visit an eye doctor, but had a thought myself a couple weeks before a scheduled appointment. During the pandemic, I used Lysol spray to disinfect many surfaces in my home. I never got the wipes because I thought it was a waste and they were difficult to find at the beginning of the pandemic, why not simply use the spray and a cloth. So that's what I did for a year, every day. Well, Lysol is definitely toxic, that's why it kills germs. I decided to stop using it altogether a couple weeks ago and apply 70% alcohol (it never gave me thoughts of drinking) instead. Or bleach, but always put on a mask while using it. I will probably never know for sure how it worked, but my airway and eye irritation completely went away after a week or so. Just though to share this, don't know if you use any chemicals to clean, but they are not healthy to breath in and to contact with our body, for sure. It's not necessarily allergy, just a chemical irritation.

The other thought I had (also for myself while having the irritation) is possible COVID infection complication. I had mild COVID a year ago (that didn't even have significant respiratory issues) and it completely resolved after a month, so it didn't make much sense why related symptoms would emerge months later, but thought perhaps I contracted a variant or something. The irritation started ~between my two COVID vaccine doses. Or maybe another virus. I was going to mention this idea also to the doctor, but then it resolved. Can you rule out this possibility? Have you had a COVID antibody test (if you're not vaccinated)?
Old 03-27-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry, Mizz, that sounds concerning and scary. I'm glad you're going to the dr soon.

Do you think it could be covid? Those symptoms sound a bit like that, but I guess it could be so many things. Sometimes new allergies appear out of nowhere.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Aellyce- I have thought along the same lines as you.
We do not use chemicals in our home. We do have bleach but it is used sparingly for the bathroom. My work gifted us Clorox bleach wipes. I think they are collecting dust in the laundry room. I should get rid of those. Gift them to someone else.

When my husband had COVID in December I came back negative. How is that? So strange.
I did feel serious fatigue for the week after Thanksgiving and it was then that my husband tested positive. My work is very very busy during Holiday seasons and so I just thought the fatigue was a normal response to working so much. I think my testing was inaccurate. I can test for antibodies. Maybe I should?

Since CORONA hit, I have used hand sanitizer and taken all these chemical precautions at work but the hand sanitizer and the precautions have never been a part of my life. Its just not a part of our world here. My world. I guess there are lots of things going on now that are foreign. My system is screaming at me.

I tried to get in to the doctor a few weeks back but they would not see me because of "breathing issues." They told me to go the ER. I then talked with a nurse on the phone who said to take Claritin and the Benadryl at night. So, Im all drugged up with no relief. These drugs are foreign to me. I dont take drugs. I use medicinal mushrooms, vitamins and some herbal stuff that I have taken for over a decade.

It could be that I have had CORONA. It could be anything really. I still need a helmet.
Thank you for sharing with me. I am sorry that you went through all of that. I will remove any remaining chemicals from the home.
It is so good to hear your issue has resolved. This pandemic has been WILD!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry, Mizz, that sounds concerning and scary. I'm glad you're going to the dr soon.

Do you think it could be covid? Those symptoms sound a bit like that, but I guess it could be so many things. Sometimes new allergies appear out of nowhere.
It could be COVID. I really dont know how all this works?
I have had my first round of Moderna.
I feel like a giant ball of "sensitive to the environment" right now......I did talk about my reaction to the first round of Moderna. Completely separate thing. I would like to state that I have never had this many physical issues in my life and I really dont like this at all! Can I go back to normal now?
A bubble suit is in order.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also read that wearing masks all the time can sometimes exacerbate respiratory issues and irritation, for both airways and eyes, in part because we don't get the normal air humidity. There is not much we can do about the mask, especially if one works in public places, but it seems to be a thing these days.

If you already had a vaccine, probably an antibody test wouldn't reveal much as you would not know where a positive result comes from. For some other pathogens, they developed blood antibody tests that can discriminate between bona fide infection and vaccine outcomes, but don't think anything like that is available for COVID yet unfortunately, at least I'm not aware.

In any case, I hope you find an explanation and solution soon, mystery health issues don't do any good for our mental state.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I also read that wearing masks all the time can sometimes exacerbate respiratory issues and irritation, for both airways and eyes, in part because we don't get the normal air humidity. There is not much we can do about the mask, especially if one works in public places, but it seems to be a thing these days.
YES! I do think that wearing a mask 8 plus hours a day is not good. Also, everything is in bloom and I am not taking it all in like I once was. Thank you for bringing the mask wearing up.

I was trying to get relief yesterday at work and so I used a menthol cough drop. DONT DO THAT WHILE WEARING A MASK!
I ended up not being able to see for a few minutes due to the vapors of menthol and it was all kind of a **** show and hard to explain to people.

Customer: "Are you okay?"
ME: "I am fine. Dont use cough drops while wearing a mask. Its brutal. I cant see. How can I help you though?"

HAHA!
Old 03-27-2021, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going to be Chicken Little - a bit.

If you had it back in November and cleared it you wouldn't have tested positive in December.

It's possible to get it twice. You're youngish and healthy so a mild case is not out of the question, plus all the variants and your job certainly puts you at greater risk. I do hope you feel better soon. The coughing bit does sound SARS-like...can't you get a Covid quick test?

Old 03-27-2021, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That sounds so frightening. I also thought allergy or covid. Can you go get a covid test? That might rule that out...or in. How often do these attacks occur? I hope it goes away!
Old 03-27-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's awful Mizz.

I think you should go to er if you are getting tingly hands. You're not getting enough oxygen. I think that warrants ER.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
This breathing issue I have been having has taken over my life in some respects.
Ive been on Benadryl and Claritin for weeks and I am still experiencing the episodes. I started an herbal concoction too.
Mizz, you're self-taking three products (for undiagnosed symptoms) which could be inter-reacting, on top of potential post-COVID vaccination issues, which although rare, can happen. The three products clearly haven't 'worked'.

I have asthma and allergies, so I'd urge you to bring forward your appointment with the doctor, or seek other medical guidance, as soon as possible, and sooner than Wednesday.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Mizz, you're self-taking three products (for undiagnosed symptoms) which could be inter-reacting, on top of potential post-COVID vaccination issues, which although rare, can happen. The three products clearly haven't 'worked'.

I have asthma and allergies, so I'd urge you to bring forward your appointment with the doctor, or seek other medical guidance, as soon as possible, and sooner than Wednesday.
I was advised by a nurse to take the allergy medications. I followed directions from a professional.

I have noted everything, including the Nurse whom I spoke with on the phone, and will bring this information to the doctor. This information and this breathing problem is noted in my charts as far as I know.

I might be a bit worried now but I am alive. Just got off a jog/ walk and have not had an episode today. Not yet. I am hopeful it is over.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another thought, Mizz, do you have a pulse oximeter? They are usually available at pharmacies. You could track your oxygen levels with it to provide more info for your dr appointment. Also, you could see if it drops so low that you need urgent care. Your nurse or dr can tell you what that number would be. 💕
Old 03-27-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Another thought, Mizz, do you have a pulse oximeter? They are usually available at pharmacies. You could track your oxygen levels with it to provide more info for your dr appointment. Also, you could see if it drops so low that you need urgent care. Your nurse or dr can tell you what that number would be. 💕
I dont have one but can get one.

When I spoke with the nurse she did tell me about one of these gadgets. It was a long conversation and one that also advised me to set an appointment with a doctor. I didn't do that. It took me a bit of suffering to get to the doctor. Apparently I have some deep issues in regards to doctors and Mizz going to the doctor. I don't know. I am working on it.

I have not meant to be unclear in my posting and if that has been the case, my apologies. Im trying to get to the bottom of it and I was hoping it would just "resolve" on its own and I could say "That was really strange. Its gone. No need to worry."

I guess there is some need to be concerned. ....lol. Minimizing these symptoms and the severity seems to be what I have been good at.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Why are you posting your worries then, whilst waiting for a doctor appointment, if you trust the advice of a nurse who suggested 'over the counter' antihistamines, without seeing you? Your first post symptoms sounded pretty severe.

You mentioned ongoing breathing problems, despite the nurse's treatment. I standby my experience, that more urgent medical intervention is required, if your symptoms really are as severe as you listed.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The really scary thing is that you say you've had issues for weeks and you've continued to go to work in RETAIL without a Covid test, possibly exposing hundreds of people.

That's not okay, Mizz.

I mean, I really hope it's something else, but...