Notices

Is this what I sound like ?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this what I sound like ?

Sorry for multiple posts ... earlier today I called my friend who had admitted a few weeks ago to being an alcoholic (I had had no idea).,She was joining in AA meetings online and sad she was ‘never touching alcohol again’. Well today it seems that her son had been verbally abusive to her - he’d also had a fight with her boyfriend who had finished with her and left. She was crying hysterically saying how she was all alone and was ‘just going to get pissed’ (drunk).I said ‘please don’t do that as it won’t make your problems go away and they will only be more difficult to deal with with a hangover! ‘ ( good SR advice right ? ! ) She said ‘I don’t care!’ and then I could hear the unscrewing of the bottle top and the glug glug glug of pouring of wine.. she got more and more slurry and eventually hung up on me ! Apart from feeling sorry for her, my main thought was ‘Oh God, I bet that’s what I sound like during the endless drunk phone calls I have made! It was horrendous, humiliating and sad. I think she thought I couldn’t work out what was going on , but it was so obvious. I always thought people couldn’t tell when I was doing the same thing but of course they can .. There was a lesson for me there... and her but she was too far gone to realise ! :-(
Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Like a long hard look in the mirror.

I pretty much never chat on the phone anyway, but definitely avoided it while drinking. I guess I generally was still aware enough to not do the drunk phone calls, texts, etc... Maybe because my mother was famous for her drunk dialing. 😕

The good thing, ICDT, is we don’t have to worry about it if we don’t drink. 😊💕. And, you can have compassion and understanding for your friend.