Notices

I知 embarrassed to post, again...

Old 03-26-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Your story sounds so similar to mine own, except for having children. I also binge eat and know that when I do that it is entirely emotional eating. Right now, I am once again trying to reign in my eating and lose the 30 pounds! that I gained. I've lost about 6, so I am on a downward trend. It's tough and personally, I find keeping to a healthy eating pattern much HARDER than not drinking. Why? Because you have to eat, but you don't have to drink.

I also cannot moderate alcohol at all and I would bet my life savings that 99 percent of the people on this forum cannot do it either. There is the dream that we can moderate and have a drink here and there, but that's all it is. A dream and one that will always turn into a nightmare.

So for me, I took alcohol off the table completely. No if's, ands or buts. No wiggle room. How did I do that? I made a promise to myself that I would never drink alcohol again, and I would never change my mind, no matter what. The key to my success was the "no matter what". No excuses, no saying - Oh, I've had a hard day. I just need one to steady my nerves. Someone died. I'm depressed. I'm on vacation. No one loves me. I'm an alcoholic so I might as well dinrk. The excuses are endless.

Once you take alcohol off the table - you close the door. Don't leave it open one crack. Make ONE decision - I do not drink alcohol - EVER.

I'm now 6 years sober. There has certainly been times when the thought of having a drink has crossed my mind but I repeat my promise. The thought goes away.

I wish you much success in your journey.
CF
Old 03-26-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I drank seltzer like it was going out of style in my early sobriety. Committing to a progressive workout plan was extremely helpful too - I had/have the ambition to be in peak physical condition (as far as a busy professional and father of 3 kids can) that could only be achieved by never drinking again. I also committed to a mediation practice. Both the workout and meditation practices, I knew/know, would provide actual improvement, things I could see and experience. The time you are given as a sober person also allows you to be present for reading, movie watching, spending time with family/friends - things that in my drinking days were just pitstops between my next buzz. Acknowledging the presence I could/can have in those moments makes sobriety something worth fighting for as well.

And it is a fight, at least in the early days. You have to work for it. You have to suffer pain and discomfort - you are literally changing your life. But the life you then get to have is worth all of that immeasurably. Thank you for posting. Keep posting, stay strong.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I realized that most of my cravings were due to either thirst or sugar cravings. Just like lessgravity I have now substituted beer with Seltzer water. Many a times when cravings hit really hard, I just sit very quickly for a huge meal (with lot of carbs). After that I feel a zillion times better and AV is totally gone out of sight.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I bought some pineapple juice and lime mineral water.
3 parts mineral water and 1 part pineapple. Very delicious and refreshing. I think it will be my new drink for Spring!
Im starting to think of all the different types of drinks one could make..... Its fun!
Old 03-27-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How's it going, Seabreezess?

Did you make it past the Friday dinner hour?