Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How’s your sober tools this weekend. 26- 29 March 2021 Weekenders

Notices

How’s your sober tools this weekend. 26- 29 March 2021 Weekenders

Old 03-29-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

So we have two AIfies.
And one IoveIy cameIia.

I hope AIfie the dog heais up and AIfie the cat survives vet day.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:36 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Best wishes to your FiL Mags!

Sending positive vibes to the two Alfies.

I'm helping to build a small robot at work. It is will basically be a camara and a couple of sensors on wheels. The idea is for it to trundle round on a pre-programmed course a few times at night as an internal security gaurd. I'm responsible for the motors, I have some beautiful Swiss made Maxon Moters that I have had for a few years after a cancelled order that I can use. They are really high quality. Some smart people will do the trickier electronics and computer programming. Keeping it small is the key - about the size of a loaf of bread. Unfortunately we do not have much paying work on so it's a diversion.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

^
sounds interesting sao. Is it there to detect intruders? If so, what will it do if it does detect them?
Old 03-29-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I looked at Zen spray but I don't think it would touch my hip. The inflammation is deep in the joint not muscular.

Sounds like a fun project Sao. Is it going to have a name and a face?
Old 03-29-2021, 09:50 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
^
sounds interesting sao. Is it there to detect intruders? If so, what will it do if it does detect them?
Exterminate!!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

least and countrystix, good luck with your preps and procedures. It will feel great to have that behind you for a while.

Kailey, I am sorry to hear that your back and hip are bothering you. Have you heard of an OTC called Voltaren? Suze turned me onto it a while ago; it does provide relief and has helped me in those (now numerous) areas where I have arthritis (osteoarthritis). (And poor Alfie - yikes, I hope you don’t run into that aggressive dog again.)

Willow; stick with and add to your Sober Plan; as Suze and Bim mentioned those drinking pathways are strongly etched in our brains and take time to ‘fill in’. It takes time and hard work. You are worth the effort; lasting sobriety is wonderful.

Mags, prayers lifted for your father in law; hope that he shows improvement very soon.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Sao, your project sounds fascinating. Let us know how it goes.

Kaily, sorry for misspelling your name.

I am considering planting two medium/large hibiscus bushes behind our home; they bloom for months here; now what color bloom to choose. I am thinking red but I like the yellow, orange, pink, blue . . . . They are all so gorgeous.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Had my colonoscopy and endoscopy and there were no great problems, altho my stomach shows inflammation and I'm on a new medicine for it. I looked it up and it's used to treat ulcers. I guess I have an ulcer, or the beginnings of one.

So glad I don't drink anymore cause alcohol is hell on ulcers.

It's a bit chilly today, but the sun is shining so I'm going to take Billie for a long walk.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

least, hopefully your new medication will help keep any ulcer problems at bay.

SoberLeigh, that is a lovely plant / bloom, it's so colourful.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Exterminate!!
Excellent! I'm watching a Doctor Who Dalek story at the moment so I'm hearing "exterminate" quite a lot!

Old 03-29-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just thought of another tool in my sober toolbox - petting my dog and cats. If I'm feeling stressed, I pet Billie or Lily or Franny, and it relaxes and soothes me. I no longer have any desire to drink but to calm down, I rely on Billie and the cats to settle me down. That and a dog walk or two or three.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Thanks Leigh, and those hibiscus are beautiful! I have pink and red and orange in my garden

Least I’m glad the results of your tests were pretty good, all considered.
I hope yours are ok too Countrystix.

Thank you all
I was really struggling there for a few days, but I’m feeling a lot brighter this morning. I know that I get waves of depression, it’s not new to me, and I know they will pass. I just have to hang on. And not drink! This time I actually spoke about it instead of trying to go it alone (I used to self medicate with a bottle).
Interestingly, I have found out that my Dad also had similar bouts, which makes a lot of sense in hindsight, especially with my Dad’s intermittent periods of taking to his bed for days/weeks on end when he was unwell. Poor old Dad. His birthday is next week and I think that’s been adding to my sadness. I miss my parents so much. But drinking won’t bring them back.

Anyway, on a brighter note, I’m now into my 3rd week sober and I’m going shopping tomorrow for some N/A Easter treats to take camping over Easter weekend. I won’t have any phone reception so won’t be able to check in over Easter, which does worry me a bit, especially as everyone else will be drinking. But I’m going to get prepared in advance with plenty of non alcoholic drink options for myself.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's good news on your colonoscopy least.The ulcer meds sound preventative which is also good news. I saw a news item the other day that said colonoscopys might soon be a thing of the past as they would be replaced with pill sized miniature cameras. Alimentary.

Congratulations on two full weeks Willow and very well done for posting when you were feeling down. More people should do that but it's very easy for me to sit and post advice, much harder to do. All the best for Easter, you can do it.

I do have some other pieces of kit for our robot project - Lego wheels. They come in many varieties. Getting them the right size is important but it will be trial and error to find the ideal diameter rather than any clever maths. I will wait until all the brainy stuff is done before I make to motive bit so I know the weight. My collegues are bound to get carried away and start constructing something that really is Dalek sized.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Soberleigh, those hibiscus flowers are beautiful. I would probably go for the orange and blue ones.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:23 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

The robot construction sounds like a lot of fun Sao
And thank you
Old 03-29-2021, 06:01 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Saou, the entire robot project sounds like it would be over my head. It does sound fun though.

Willow, they were all drinking at mom's house the other night. My niece even offered me one of my old favorite IPAs. If I can do it, you can too.
Sorry you have to deal with rounds of depression.

Robbie, the Dr Who series with Tom Baker was very popular here in the 80s. (Florida)

Old 03-29-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

pill sized miniature cameras. Alimentary.
As in - alimentary, my dear Watson.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:51 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Thanks Cityboy, I have no intention of drinking over Easter, I just have to remain vigilant because it’s early day again
Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Least, I’m pleased the procedures are done and hopefully your new meds will help the ulcers.

Leigh, your garden will be a delight of colours, so many to choose from.

Saou, the robot project sounds good. If it was a Dalek (a flying one!) or even cybermen shape it would probably scare any would be thieves.

Willow have a good weekend love, good to be prepared with your own drinks.

Thanks for your kind well wishes for fil. He has fluid on one of his lungs, being treated with iv antibiotics should help him.

The forecast is showing a scorcher for today, sunshine all day. (well, compared to how it has been, )

See you later. Take care xxxx
Old 03-29-2021, 10:07 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got a dull headache, a hangover from the general anesthesia and was told not to take ibuprofen or aspirin. Was at the store this evening and forgot to buy Tylenol.

Of course, it's not as bad as the day after drinking headaches I used to have...