Notices

It’s been a long time

Old 03-24-2021, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s been a long time

Hello everyone,

it’s been close to 10 years since I first found this board. I want to give a shout-out too all the community and mods out there that make this site possible.

a little background on me. I got sober on April 25, 2011. The first 9 months I was lost. I found this forum and it dramatically let me know I was not alone. While I post may have not reflected it all those years ago, I was suffering from major anxiety that eventually turned into full on agoraphobia. Just past my first year sober date I was a total mess. I was loving under my mother’s roof which I had done most my life. I was age 30. I finally wound up in AA after a year sober with the only help of this forum. My agoraphobia lasted 6 months. I remember walking into my first meeting scared out of mind. My sober mind was a total mess. I bring this up because maybe someone out can relate to something they are going though,

lucky I got around a bunch of AA people who were really doing the deal. I was apart of what was called A Primary Purpose Group”. These guys understood what alcoholism really was and told me how I could overcome my general fear. I did end up in some middle of the road groups, and made some friends, but those type of groups did little for me. Anyways, I got a sponsor in that second group I mentioned. Maybe some of you have heard of a guy named Mark Houston. Mark Houston’s tapes is what gave me enough courage to get to my first AA meeting. Come to find out my sponsor at the time had been recently sponsored by Mark Houston until his passing of a heart attack.

after hanging in the rooms a bit in the primary purpose group I got too meet with a lot of circuit speakers like Dave F, Chris Raymer and his brother Myers. After a year of working with that group I landed a job working for a large corporation you all would know, and I still work there today. they ended up moving me across the country where I was able to buy my first home, get married to the girl of my dreams, and have my first son. I also recently adopted my step daughter.

i wanted to post this because I truly am a rags to riches story. 10 years ago I was cowering in blankets with sweats and concern how I’d 5 bucks for my next bottle of vodka. Today I own a brand new car, bought my first 4 bedroom house. Ended up ina leadership roll with this company. With COVID like many others we all shifted to work from home. Have a 1 year old son and 8 year old daughter. Today I actually have credit lol. I’ve kept the same phone number for 10 years..some of you can relate there. And much more.

i don’t log in here much these days. But was laying in bed reflecting tonight. I’m a totally different person than I was when I sobered up. If your a newcomer people don’t ever think what I described is impossible. Our biggest enemy is ourselves. Most of who get sober are completely beat up, and deflated. Alcohol took us for a ride. But I promise you if you stay the course your wildest dreams are possible.

thank you again SR for being here all those years ago. It’s where my journey began and for that I am forever grateful

​​​​​​-Ryan
Old 03-24-2021, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a great update post Ryan.. Congrats on your recovery - great to hear from you

D
Old 03-24-2021, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back Ryan! Glad to hear things are going well for you and that sobriety really suits you.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks for a great update post Ryan.. Congrats on your recovery - great to hear from you

D
still here I see! Love it! Hello to you as well!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome back Ryan! Glad to hear things are going well for you and that sobriety really suits you.
I remember your name as well! That it does.. that it does
Old 03-24-2021, 08:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for sharing your story Ryan, a great testament to what can happen if you really put your efforts into it. Congratulations to you and all of the accomplishments you've made over the years.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 03-25-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A great update Ryan. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your recovery journey- well done.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great story...that’s for sharing.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ryan. What a great story to start my day with!! Thank you for sharing your ESH with us.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing that. My recovery lineage tracks yours. I couldn't stay sober till I was presented the message of recovery as carried by Joe Hawk. And I am one of those alcoholics who frequently mentions their time sober at meetings (currently 18 years and counting) precisely because I want the newcomer to know it's possible to live clean and sober. I also love the folks who never mention how much time they have and just focus on today -- and then later you find out as an aside that they've been sober 30+ years. Both ways of carrying the message are valuable. So, your "rags to riches" story is important to share. Just as are the stories of folks who encounter significant downturns after decades of sobriety -- bankruptcy, life-threatening illness, the untimely death of loved ones -- yet they pick their ass up and go to a meeting and continue to work the program and grant us the privilege of continuing to trudge this road to happy destiny with them in spite of it all. There's truly nothing so bad that a drink won't make it worse -- and if I'm going to stay away from that drink I need to stay close to my fellow drunks in recovery. It's all part of one big message. As is the fact that some of us come to conclude that there is only one way for us to stay sober and others have a different experience. I strive to share mine and respect theirs. God bless!

Old 03-25-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing your inspirational story! It put a smile on my face, and that's a good way to start a day!
Old 03-25-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ryan, thanks for sharing your story!
Old 03-25-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember you, Ryan. It's wonderful to know you're doing so well, still sober & enjoying life like never before.
I can relate to much of what you said. It's strange how we hesitate to get sober, & grieve for the 'loss' of our anesthetic. It's a trap that prevents us from growing & experiencing our life - we just don't see it until we get out of jail.
Thanks for taking the time to do an update - I'm sure many will be inspired & encouraged by your experience.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I remember you, Ryan. It's wonderful to know you're doing so well, still sober & enjoying life like never before.
I can relate to much of what you said. It's strange how we hesitate to get sober, & grieve for the 'loss' of our anesthetic. It's a trap that prevents us from growing & experiencing our life - we just don't see it until we get out of jail.
Thanks for taking the time to do an update - I'm sure many will be inspired & encouraged by your experience.
I remember your name as well! Nice to see your still around here
Old 03-25-2021, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ryan, I am so happy to see you. I remember you.

Your story is so inspiring and I'm glad you're reminding all of us how much we can achieve in recovery.