Notices

new this was coming

Old 03-30-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're part of us, John & we'll always care.

As Steely said, time to quit. It's bringing you only sadness & despair.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're a family, John, and we care.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

To be honest, I really thought you guys were pretty much sick of me. After getting many negative comments from many of my posts, I figured you guys were done hearing from me, so I figured I would just be a troll for a while. Maybe I am too sensitive, but that is what I was feeling. Nice to see that I was wrong. Thanks for the support. John
Old 03-31-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Part of what I hear in your posts is a separation between your self and the decisions that you made to drink. I say this because it is a way of thinking about drinking that I engaged in for many years as well. You keep saying things like "it creeped up on me" and "I knew this was going to happen" - ways of thinking about drinking that deny the fact that drinking doesn't "happen" to us - we decide to take the steps necessary to drink and then we drink and then we decide to take another drink etc etc ad infinitum.

I don't say these things to criticize - I say the because, for me, changing that mind-set, finally taking full and total responsibility for my decisions to drink, is what led to my finally putting down the booze for good, forever. No one is coming to save you. But you have it in you to save your self.

And there isn't a person here who hasn't been where you are. Make a plan, put it down for good.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Part of what I hear in your posts is a separation between your self and the decisions that you made to drink. I say this because it is a way of thinking about drinking that I engaged in for many years as well. You keep saying things like "it creeped up on me" and "I knew this was going to happen" - ways of thinking about drinking that deny the fact that drinking doesn't "happen" to us - we decide to take the steps necessary to drink and then we drink and then we decide to take another drink etc etc ad infinitum.

I don't say these things to criticize - I say the because, for me, changing that mind-set, finally taking full and total responsibility for my decisions to drink, is what led to my finally putting down the booze for good, forever. No one is coming to save you. But you have it in you to save your self.

And there isn't a person here who hasn't been where you are. Make a plan, put it down for good.
First of all, thanks for your post. It is a sincere attempt to give me good advice, and you have given me a lot to think about. But I am a person that takes full responsibility for my actions, both good and bad. But your saying that at some point my actions to drink where outside of my ability to make that decision and resonated with me. Maybe there's something to that. I take full responsibility for the binge I went through but at some point maybe I feel that drinking was out of my control, which it wasn't. Alcohol didn't make that decision, I did. Thanks, John