Notices

We could write a book Weekenders 19-22 March 2021 WEEKENDERS

Old 03-22-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Kaily, I agree with Cityboy, that is a very long walk. 7.5 miles - yikes! - I'd not be able to move for a week after walking that distance. In fact I doubt I would be able to walk even half of that distance...

Old 03-22-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Cityboy, volunteering is still on hold at the zoo - we are in a pandemic. They have plenty of volunteers (over 800) and I am not interested...for many reasons. I've done my years of volunteering.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Magsie

I used to volunteer dog walk through a charity and I ended up being some of the owner's shopper, driving them to hairdressers and even taking one lady to see her friend in the chapel of rest. I did enjoy the dog walking but the errands got a bit much and I wasn’t very good in saying no.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
I used to volunteer dog walk through a charity and I ended up being some of the owner's shopper, driving them to hairdressers and even taking one lady to see her friend in the chapel of rest. I did enjoy the dog walking but the errands got a bit much and I wasn’t very good in saying no.
Therein lies the rub.

I've done a lot of volunteering in my life and people do try to take advantage. Saying no to that is hard, and I don't like that part.

At the zoo though? No. Way.

Having to be a tour guide, hard-core environmentalist, educator, policewoman and schoolyard monitor to hundreds of people every time I'm at the zoo? Being sent multiple guilt-inducing emails and mail begging for my time and money? And be nice to everyone every time I'm there? I would rather enjoy the zoo as a lovely park with exotic animals where I don't have to talk to humans at all unless I like them. It's my Happy Place. I'd like it to stay that way.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Being easily amused, and always in favor of distractions, I've been intermittently watching this Volcano in Iceland. Molten Rock just gushing up. As Sunset there approaches, the bright red Lava Flows are stupor kewl!

Icelandic Volcano Live Stream

As Weather here improves, we're gonna meet some healthy and trusted Pals + their Pooch down at a local Park for late Lunch Snacks, and to introduce MesaPup to the Dog Park there. It'll be pretty deserted today, so it's a fine time to start. My Other Duties As Required thus far today included emptying, and resetting Mouse Traps out in the Gym area of an Outbuilding, and House Vacuuming. And, doing a load of Laundry. There was some Kitchen clean-up in there, too.

Perpetual Jockette MesaMate is all primed for College Basketball Playoffs later today. I don't get bored these Days, so I'll figger out something to do...
Old 03-22-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have been quite lazy today - working from home still feels strange to me. It has been a lovely day here weather wise. I went for a 90 minute walk so not quite as far as Kaily but between 5 and 6 miles for sure.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

That's still a good brisk walk, 5 or 6 miles.

There is an event I volunteer with twice a year and it has been great for the most part. Definitely see the point with the zoo volunteer work though.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

As Sao said, it is a lovely day in London. A shorter walk today with a touch of spring.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:29 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Was away from the thread all weekend - lots to catch up on.

Congrats on a year, Vinny, toutes mes félicitations!

And hearty congratulations to everyone else who is piling up that sober time! Great work on almost a week, Manta!

It's always something in my life. My older daughter (will turn 30 in June) called me crying and saying she and my granddaughter need to come stay with me for a while. She and her partner live together and he doesn't have family nearby so she doesn't feel like she can tell him to leave. They own a home together. As far as I can tell, there's not really a problem between them, but she has a lot of unaddressed trauma from her first marriage (it was a nightmare) and she's about to have a nervous breakdown. She feels like she needs space to work some things out in her head and he doesn't really understand and doesn't have a clue how to help her. Not that I do either but I guess some kids do return home when they are in distress. I'll help her get into some counseling and maybe just a change of scenery and being safe here will help her. It's really poor timing as my second bathroom is still ripped apart, there's not a spare room ready for them, and I'm going through my own anxieties and stresses. I enjoy my quiet home and this will be hugely disruptive to me. But I am not going to say no, and I'm grateful I'm sober and can give her a port in a storm. Not sure when they will show up - a couple of days from now probably. I told her she must sit down with her partner and see if there's a way she can make him understand and give him a chance to help her. He's a really good guy. But most likely I will have guests soon and I have no idea how long that will last.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice pic of Alfie and Daisy, Kaily.

Sao I imagine it can be lonely working from home. Hopefully it won’t be for much longer.

MesaMan, I saw the volcano on the news, thanks for sharing the link. It’s good to keep an eye on it.

Bim, I can understand too about the zoo. It’s your place to visit your friends, humans would just get in the way sometimes.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:57 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

MLD, I hope she can sort out what is causing all the stress and anxiety, or whatever is causing her to feel that way.

Nice picture Kaily
Old 03-22-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I hope your daughter can sort things out soon MLD x

End of Day 7, been very lazy today and a bit flat but I am sober so that’s a win. Another early night for me so take care everyone and see you tomorrow xx
Old 03-22-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Nite Iove s
Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Kaily that photo of Alfie and Daisy is so beautiful, with the daffodils ❤️ ...(are they daffodils?)

Marty I hope your daughter can get some peace, so you can also have your peaceful home again soon

Well done on a week Manta We’re onto week 2 now

I neeto get out walking more. I did a couple of walks on the weekend on the beach, but they we only about half an hour. I definitely could use more exercise than that
Old 03-22-2021, 09:21 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, I hope your daughter will feel better with some counselling. Some things take a lot of time to heal. I hope it works out if they stay with you without too much anxiety for all of you.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:22 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady and Willow good work on week one!
Old 03-23-2021, 12:18 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday dear Weekenders,

Thanks mags for the thread - I could write a book but it would not be comfortable reading. Let's hope this new chapter though turns out as well as it is promising to be.

A week after my vaccine I dared to visit the coffee shop in town for a real Americano. It was open for takeaway and otherwise empty. I've felt a bit sorry for them as they have been open during the lockdown but strictly speaking it has been illegal to actually drink while walking or loiter with the coffee they serve. Still, the regulations have eased a bit now and boy was the coffee good!

Congratulations Vinny on your year - quite a milestone. Well done Manta and Willow on your sober time.

I'm off - work starts in 10 minutes time! Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:23 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Same here Willow. I am not exercising enough either but have been concentrating on getting a routine going with getting up and going to bed the same time lol. 2 weeks and 5 days and the pool opens (fingers crossed) so going to do some small walks, get the house sorted and concentrate on eating well now I have nailed the wake / sleep stuff. As soon as the pool opens I will be going there everyday for a couple of hours to swim, get out of the house and build on the changes already made. In the past when I have tried to stay sober I tried to change and do too much at once, so this time I am taking a different approach and focussing on smaller wins and when I am comfortable moving onto the next. It’s got me to 8 days so working so far.

Hope everyone has a good day xx
Old 03-23-2021, 01:20 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders.

Thanks Mags, actually I am not working from home all the time, we are classed as manufacturing and although I am on the sales side I am "allowed" to go in. The real problem at the moment is the lack of customer orders

Well done for letting your daughter stay with you MLD51. Sometimes if you can remove yourself from the location that is causing you grief it can also allow you to see a way out of it so it might be more than just a temporary respite for her.

I have added a couple of extra lbs of timber, no excuses as I have more time for exercise under this lockdown not less. Great photo of Alfie and Daisy, they are picking up all the local pooch comings and goings via their noses.

Good to see you forwards. I think non-essential retail is scheduled to open on the 12th April so fingers crossed we won't have to wait much longer. I for one am tired of B&Q.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:09 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
MantaLady and Willow good work on week one!
thanks Mags, couldn’t do it out with the support of everyone here on SR
I can’t let myself stray from SR, it’s a real lifeline ❤️