Notices

We could write a book Weekenders 19-22 March 2021 WEEKENDERS

Old 03-18-2021, 05:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
My book would be mostly depressing if I only wrote about the past. How things have changed! Life isn't exactly exciting now, but it sure beats the misery of the past.
(See my signature for my feelings about the chapters of our lives.)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lixie, I saw a psycho thriller set in Norway not long ago that was pretty good, The Snowman.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm in.

In my worst drinking days I couldn't even read a book let alone write one. Zero attention span.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Bim, I have been re-reading books I read while I was still drinking... It's almost like reading brand-new books! I'll have foggy memories of having read them before, but not enough to ruin the suspense a lot of the time.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MLD, exactly.

To be fair though - I watched "Heartland" when we first went into lockdown, and I recently re-watched the last few episodes because they've released new ones. I don't remember a lot of those last episodes which I only watched a few months ago. I have some favorite authors who's books I read every few years and still get something out of them, even if it's only a couple hours sitting still in the sun.

So...

There's that.

My problem when I was drinking (and/or when I was depressed) was that I couldn't even get through two paragraphs without my mind going back to my problems. Two paragraphs.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Most would read my story and wait for the tragic ending. Not sorry to disappoint
Old 03-18-2021, 07:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on your eighth consecutive weekend Robbie

Lixie, your books sound very interesting, just the sort I like. I’m sure they’ll be a hit!

I think squirrels are pretty smart and brave. One squirrel took nuts from the feeders and buried them in the grass, only for a magpie to try to take them until squirrel chased him away. (oh by the way my friend has made me a squirrel feeder with a lid so it lifts it up to get the nuts out, just for him.)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I wonder if the brain is in a different mode when reading vs watching a movie, or even different for an informational show like a documentary or how-to show for cooking/home improvement/etc. . My recollection of the content of books and documentaries seems to be consistently better than that of TV shows or movies.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I find that when you read a book you create the scenes and characters and what they look like from your own mind so it sticks longer. It’s why I didn’t like the movie Da Vinci Code because the main character looked nothing like what I imagined in my mind when I read the book x
Old 03-18-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN
Thanks Mags, I am determined that whatever happens in my book I will be sober for it.

Congratulations on Shotgun Kaily.

Good to see you Lixie, Scandinavian crime dramas are very popular in the UK, The Bridge was my favourite but I really enjoyed the Norwegian series Wisting too. I hope it returns soon.

I have considerable empathy for the ginger cat in bim's GiF as I have also been the victim of a random squirrel attack.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have considerable empathy for the ginger cat in bim's GiF as I have also been the victim of a random squirrel attack
Evening Sao, if indeed it survived, I’m sure the squirrel lived to regret the attack.

Manta, I should have mentioned it earlier, but I’m so glad to see you back. The progress that you are making is encouraging.

Lixie, nice themes that you have chosen for your books. Are you writing in Norwegian or English and I hope its not a stupid question? Also, does it help to be writing two books simultaneously? I would think that if you get stuck on the one, you can switch to the other and it gives you a chance to refresh your thinking.

Anyway, nice to know Friday is just around the corner.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think the black/grey and white cat came off worse.

Good luck with your books, Lixie. You must have a good imagination.

Just been watching a tea time tv programme and a couple mentioned they drank too much one night and when they woke up they owned a vineyard. I never went that far but I did buy a horse while well and truly under the influence.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I believe the ginger cat and the squirrel had it in for the poor gray and white who was just minding its own business and got swatted.

Looks like they are secret friends..

Old 03-18-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Just been watching a tea time tv programme and a couple mentioned they drank too much one night and when they woke up they owned a vineyard. I never went that far but I did buy a horse while well and truly under the influence.
Kaily, if it was an Internet purchase, I hope the seller had a ‘no questions asked’ return policy like most vendors nowadays seem to do.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Kaily, if it was an Internet purchase, I hope the seller had a ‘no questions asked’ return policy like most vendors nowadays seem to do.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks CaptainH! x

Time for bed, sober again and really had some moments today but got through it

Take care everyone and see you tomorrow x
Old 03-18-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening Sao, if indeed it survived, I’m sure the squirrel lived to regret the attack.
I expect being menaced by squirrels is doesn't rate too highly as a wildlife threat to someone from Africa This one did indeed survive Captain and he or she sped off the proud owner of a hazlenut and a bit of my finger. I was about to lob the hazlenut to him anyway but he couldn't wait. The swine.

That cat and squirrel clip is extraordinary, they really do look to be enjoying each others company. That cat must think the squirrel is too big for prey. I have seen a cat and a fox sitting about two yards/metres apart and totally ignoring each other. Again they must have both not considered each other as a potential food.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for the weekend! Glad I'm not writing a book about my drinking years. That would be depressing. If I had to write a book, it would be about the joys of living sober.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Lixie, nice themes that you have chosen for your books. Are you writing in Norwegian or English and I hope its not a stupid question? Also, does it help to be writing two books simultaneously? I would think that if you get stuck on the one, you can switch to the other and it gives you a chance to refresh your thinking.
That's exactly the thing, I can alternate. Right now it's the Ghost App I'm focusing on. And I'm writing in Norwegian, my English isn't good enough.

Thanks everyone else too! Nice to be seen.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I’m in! I love the squirrel and cat videos Bim

My book has been a huge roller coaster ride so far, with crazy twists and turns, and it’s been really difficult to get off, and stay off, but I’m off the horrible ride now and plan on staying off, so I think the journey is getting more peaceful now (I really hate roller coasters, they’re scary and make me sick). I have no intention of getting back on in the rest of my story.

I read this recently that was really helpful in a moment of temptation.

give up everything for one thing or give up one thing for everything"

I’m going for “everything” in my current chapter. And no more roller coaster rides!