Notices

What have I learned after a month?

Old 03-17-2021, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What have I learned after a month?

So, it's been a month now, and a few days, so I've been thinking about what I've learned about this process and myself generally.

First the bad stuff. The first is there is a fight to be had, and I think for most of us there is no way around it. Some days the cravings will be bad. But they will be less bad, the more of them you win. You'll also be confronted, sober, with some truths about how you've behaved, and that's something you'll have to process. I don't think there's an alcoholic alive who doesn't have memories that make them shudder.

Now, onto the good stuff. I've found that there's so much more joy and happiness on the other side of sobriety than I ever hoped. All my fears about life being dull without alcohol were drastically, completely wrong. If anything, it can be overwhelming at times, as I've not been used to feeling with such clarity for so long. Sobriety will give you all the excitement and interest you can handle, and then some. The other good news is people are more forgiving than you'd think, at least, I've been lucky to have that as my experience. I think, best of all too, is that your capacity for physical and mental recovery on all levels is likely far greater than you imagine. I thought I would survive, but the damage done. But things are kicking in again, my mind is returning to its past abilities, and the idea that I was destined to be a tired, half braindead old man with little to say of offer anyone sober, turned out to be another of alcohols lies.

Lastly, if you're reading this and you are stuck in the spiral of trying to quit and relapsing every few days, just keep trying. I chipped away at it for a decade before breaking a month, and it was worth every failure. Next I'll break through six months, then a year, and every failed attempt will have helped me get there too.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also thought life without drinking would be dull - far from it! I am so much more alive, feeling things again. Sorrow, yes, but joy too. You can't have one without the other. But at least my head is clear to deal with whatever life throws at me.

Congrats on the first of many sober months!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Congratulations on your 1 Month and thanks for sharing what you've learned!! Love your username
Old 03-17-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I also thought life without drinking would be dull - far from it! I am so much more alive, feeling things again. Sorrow, yes, but joy too. You can't have one without the other. But at least my head is clear to deal with whatever life throws at me.

Congrats on the first of many sober months!
The intensity of sober life was the biggest surprise, one of my main fears was boredom.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats! Im finding out life was dull when I drank. I wasnt a social drinker, more of a closet drunk. Im enjoying life so much now that Im sober. Just over 2 months sober this time for me and what a great feeling.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on a month Itstime! You are having lots of great insights, gaining sober muscles and reaping the rewards. Great job!

Nice to see you too izzy! Congrats on two months!
Old 03-18-2021, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sounds like you are doing well. I am no Dr. but I have a self proclaimed Masters in how to stay clean 5 years. Once I hit 8 it will be a Ph D.

I am heavily kindled after unknowingly relapsing hundreds of times. At 1 month clean I was in a living hell on earth.

I quit drinking anywhere between 1 day and 8 months since I was about 5 years old.

Each relapse hellish recovery seemed to get worse and worse and take longer and longer. This got to the point where the only way I felt normal was to be drunk.

That is getting close to the end right there. Pure insanity.

Stay clean.

Thanks.