Notices

Down and almost out

Old 03-18-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JPA View Post
Right now my biggest problem (especially as we head towards the weekend) is the boredom. Things like reading (be it a book, a magazine or the news) or watching a movie do nothing for me unless I have had a drink - it’s just not entertaining anymore. It never used to be that way.

Does this go away?
No, JPA, I think you have to take action to find things that bring you joy. I think this is such an important part of recovery. Plan a weekend where you try some different things and see if something appeals to you? Walking/hiking, baking/cooking, gardening - anything that you think might interest you.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:34 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
AA Member

For me, going to meetings (real or zoom) replaced the thought of drinking.

As I've always gone to meetings, I've never thought about drinking.

God Bless!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Try to think of it this way, you’ve conditioned yourself that every enjoyable event must start with or include alcohol. So it takes time to recondition back to enjoying those things without alcohol. The bad news is, it takes time. The good news is yes, those things do become enjoyable again with alcohol. Then the kicker is .. without the alcohol, you actually have more time to do them. Early sobriety is a tough slog to go through. Sometimes you need to have the faith it gets better but knowing it takes time.

Over time I enjoyed console gaming again, Music!, even socializing is better. I certainly went through this sucks without my drink, but now it’s better than ever. I really started enjoying things again before I ever drank. I can’t provide an exact timeline but music one day out the blue, bam! Sheer joy just like when I was a teen. I think music took me 6 months to feel normal. It’s really about healing and reconditioning your brain to enjoy it again sans the drink, Now I can listen more, longer, then I could with drinks.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Not only does the boredom go away but a realization that life without booze is so much more full, beautiful, manageable, fulfilling and meaningful develops and deepens the longer you are sober. You come to know in your bones that in fact the life of a drunk is the boring, dampened, and repetitive life. One needs to do the work, stay strong and ride out the urges - but a better life is there for the taking.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Boredom can be a thing. It doesn't have to be though.
I think there is so much in our lives that can be done that I am not sure how anyone gets "bored" per say.
With housework, yardwork, work work, movies, series, books, running, weights, puzzles, learning to paint, gardening, building things, playing with our kids.... The hours can be filled with wholesome alcohol free activities.

How are you doing?
Old 03-20-2021, 11:57 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Boredom is a choice, but I understand what you are saying. I thought I couldn't enjoy anything without a few drinks in me, and at first I couldn't. There were even somethings I would not do, as I thought it might be a trigger.

Allow yourself to be bored 😐 it won't kill you, that's for sure. And be prepared to be uncomfortable at times. We humans do not like to be uncomfortable. We are kinda spoiled I think.

Boredom and uncomfortableness are much more tolerable than the drunken suicidal mess I was.

Stick with it and your life will be a billion times better!
Old 03-21-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JPA View Post
I’m determined to take this seriously this time. I’ll keep checking in.
Not a good sign when you say you are going to use SR to stay sober, then disappear. Hope you are well and didn't succumb to boredom.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

In my reasoning boredom is a meaningless dead end concept based on childish stubbornness.
“I feel bored now.” is like “I have a package here.” Well, don’t just hold it. Open it up and see what’s inside.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hope your doing okay JPA. Check in when you can.