Notices

SR Participation Numbers

Old 03-13-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR Participation Numbers

I have noticed over time some comments on how many people are posting on SR, or not. I have started to notice more observations about the topic lately, and a few SR folks seem down about declining numbers on SR.

How are such numbers known? I look at the bottom of my screen at any given moment and I can see how many active users and guests are online reading and posting, but I have never looked enough to notice trends.

Is there a downward trend? Were there larger numbers in years past and now there are fewer? And is there a way to see that other than merely observing the online participation numbers for myself?

Is it COVID that has led to the decrease (if there is a decrease), or was the decrease happening prior to COVID?

When I got sober 16 or so months ago, many people were commenting how heartening it was to see so much online support and participation. Maybe it was because it was the holidays in 2019 that I got sober, and there are more people seeking support at the annual silly season?

Regardless of the answers to these questions, I commit to being here more often in support of others and seeking support for my own sober journey. SR saved my life and I worry about it not being there. But I have always thought if it is only one other person on here and me, that is all we need.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know if there's been a decline in members viewing lately or not. I always look to see who's new, and look for the old familiar names too.

I depend heavily on SR to give and get support, and have for 13 yrs now. When I log on here, I always feel like I'm at home.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I feel I'm amongst friends too least.

SR RULES OK!
Old 03-13-2021, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, at least there's you, me, and least Surrendered.

We've got the numbers.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is the first time I have commented on a post in years. I have no idea if SR has declining number or even has higher numbers. I know I stopped commenting and being involved because of one individual that was a “leader’ here that was very disrespectful to me, therefore, rather than argue or create drama, I chose to sit on the sidelines for years and just read 😉 I doubt this has been happening to anyone else, but did want to mention my experience and cause for my silence. I can only speak for myself and say sometime one bad apple….. I only chime in now because after years on the sideline that person seems to have exited the site and no longer posts so I once again feel comfortable lending a voice 😉 – sorry, I really did NOT intend this response to be about that.

Now on to the response …

I do hope that the numbers keep growing and people continue to find the support and recovery needed here at SR, and I truly have no doubt they will. It does seem a very solid and (mostly) healthy place for those seeking answers or a change.

In addition, I would think Covid-19 would drive the numbers up, not down so that would seem odd unless more people have become accustomed to online ZOOM meeting and because it does offer the face-to-face contact some crave perhaps that could possibly have a negative effect on the participants here. Not that I am really seeing a decline myself, just saying. I must say, I have been on this site more reading and on ZOOM a lot since the pandemic started so for me…. my attendance here is/was up for sure. (side note, I have been vaccinated for a few months now and have returned to regular in-person AA meetings)

Also, I agree 1000% it is always heartwarming to watch people seek change, and all those that take the time to read and respond to the post in hopes of brightening their day or bringing insight into the situation. I think the mere fact that so many here care and are willing to show it is why this site (although may ebb and flow) seems to grow.

Peace out!

Xtreem

Old 03-13-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't remember you Xtreem but good to see you posting.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR has helped me achieve five years and two months sober. I am so grateful for this site, and the friends I have made here. Like Least, I look for posts from people I know, and also try to support newcomers. I never really pay much attention to how many people are online.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Hi Xtreem

not sure what you mean by 'leader' - whether you mean staff member or not - but if you want to follow up your grievance with me or Anna by PM thats the best and official way to make a complaint - not in threads please - PM only from now on.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 03-14-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Regardless of the answers to these questions, I commit to being here more often in support of others and seeking support for my own sober journey. SR saved my life and I worry about it not being there. But I have always thought if it is only one other person on here and me, that is all we need.
This is what I like to hear. We are here to help each other and to help ourselves.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If SR were to go away I would be heartbroken and I am sure I would search high and low for it.

Then I would sadly (for a while) find another way to get my sober journey on.

This place saved my life.

Good, bad, or indifferent, SR has been the bedrock therapeutic foundation of my new lifestyle of born again hate booze BB thumping gym rat.

Love love love.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been here a year? Something like that. It's not long enough for me to spot a trend. But the forum seems fairly active to me. I have noticed that people leave. I hope they are OK. It seems like there are a lot of newcomers right now, enough that I have a hard time keeping track.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ive been on and off this forum for close to a decade.
Members come and go. Some members have been here the entire time.
What is true is that there is support to offer and support to receive.
Keep on keeping on!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I feel like posts may have gone down due to the many other options over the years that have opened up for support. I do know that since the change to having to be logged in I post A LOT more. I didn’t want Google to know I was here, but I’ve come to the conclusion....they know anyways. Haha.

I like this space. SR is my main and most consistent recovery tool. We have great moderators so things don’t get out of hand. This is the most supportive place. I’m impressed at how long it’s been going.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are no plans for SR to ‘go away’, and registration numbers are, naturally, up.

Retention rates (people who stay on as regulars) seem to me to be better than they have been in a few years and better than pre COVID - but I haven’t got the time or resources to back that assertion up it’s simply my sense of seeing familiar user names around.

D
Old 03-14-2021, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love this place but it does seem a little quiet compared to when I was here basically all of 2019.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love the place too... and also I do think it seems to be a lot... slower than I recall it being.

I imagine that may well be in part due to the overload of options people have for online engagement and the degree to which things like Facebook and Twitter have negatively impacted the 'old school' forums format. Personally, I think there's a coming trend of people returning to more purpose-specific communities because the 'mainstream' ones are becoming nothing more than a social-manipulation construct.

I admit, I sort of faded off the SR forum for a long while.

Probably no coincidence that during that long while, I also started using marijuana again after over 6 years of abstinence from drugs along with my sobriety....

Back now, gonna stick around.

Being here is an important part of my toolkit for a beautiful life.