Notices

Hate it that I feel better when I drink

Old 12-08-2004, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hate it that I feel better when I drink

I guess that is what withdrawal is like. I really wanted to go to my second aa meeting today, but I didn't get there because I felt so bad, and what do you think I did about it. I am ready to confess to most of my family, maybe.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honesty is one of the major things we need to over come this disease. Along with open mindedness and willingness. Are you really ready to quit? That is what you need to decide, on a daily basis. Then do it. The people in aa will help you, but we can't do it for you.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh MBTired, so sorry you are feeling down..........I can only say that once I accepted that I had a problem this week, I owned it and needed to share when I was ready. So now dh and best friend know what I'm attempting. It was actually freeing to say it out loud and before someone had a chance to tell ME that I had a problem, I told them first. It was quite freeing to feel like I was in control.

Honesty to yourself first and acceptance, then to those you love seems a good approach but only when you are ready. Not drinking today is a bit boring, like I'm missing out on fun, but that last hangover memory is still with me......that wasn't fun at all.

Hang in there.......here, grab onto my hand for extra support?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

withdrawal

Dear mb, are you talking about physical withdrawal? If so, I can offer a little advice, as I had the same problem. If the shakes and nausea are stopping you from eating, sleeping or getting to an AA meeting then try tapering off. A lot of people will will say you have to quit cold turkey, but it is possible to go slowly...it's less of a shock to your system and if you are not eating properly you will just take forever to feel better. I tried a shot of vodka every four hours or so and then less and less until I was feeling Ok after about 5 days, I started to eat normally and looked forward to getting out to the meetings for something different to do, and I had the energy to walk to them as well. Don't be too hard on yourself Lass!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Birdonawire! I need to talk with YOU! That is the reason that I can't quit...I keep trying, and honestly want to for my kids...But I find that when I try to, I feel so nauseated and truly sick, that with one "foul shot", I'm better and can function again.........So how did you say to get over that? Again? I've never heard anyone tell me how to take the shots in a responsible way in order to stop...But that's what I've been thinking all along....My problem there is, that once I start, I feel like I'm a loser anyway and I really don't need to quit....Does that make sense?

Oh, please answer me! (By the way, I'm new here today...Yours is the first post I've read that really hit home...)

Thanks,
Stace
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hate it when you feel better when you drink? Give it time, you won't be feeling anything as it progresses, I mean, no buzz, no high, no warm fuzzies, we become so tolerant, we drink just to drink in the end. Honesty, willingness, is key, don't quit before the miracle happens as they say! Your in control, try to remember that!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

whatever works...DEAR STACE

I hate any kind of dogma...like people saying you CAN'T DO THAT it won't work. It's different for everyone. Why should I feel guilty about having a drink to stop me from getting sick? If it's gone that far and it has turned into a physical addiction...then you can go into a treatment center and check yourself in ...or if you are like me, and it was a waiting list to get help on the government health system, and I was desperate...you can take things into your own hands. If you want to talk to me more about this, please feel free to send me a private message...look forward to hearing from you! Bird