Notices

Well it’s been a while. . .

Old 03-11-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well it’s been a while. . .

3 years next month. I remember vividly a relapse I posted about in the early days. It was easier then for me to turn off the app than to put it down. There’s still days like today where I crave the taste of whiskey, a good buzz....the noise the ice makes in my glass, but there’s been over 600 and something that I didn’t think about it at all. And 1068 that I didn’t drink at all. I’ve slowly allowed myself around people that drink. Was tempted once but didn’t wavier. Works been crazy stressful lately but I have to sit back and appreciate that I actually get to feel the stress and not drown it out. My kid has totally forgotten that dad ever drank. Wife finally threw out the big bottle of jack that was collecting spare change. To be honest I had forgotten about it and it wasn’t a trigger for me. In the beginning you hear people saying “ if I can you can”. And I always felt like “ this mf isn’t like me, I can’t stop”. I had to look deep and find who I was. Block out people, be an *******, etc. it was worth it. I lost some relationships and I pissed people off. I became honest because I wasn’t hiding behind a bottle. If it took those losses to become sober , maybe it was actually gaining something rather than losing..... i didn’t have a point in reposting other than saying , Hi, I didn’t relapse, I’m not dead. I’ve been sober and feeling life. We’ve caught so many great fish the last two summers and the connections I’ve made with people I feel in my heart. I feel. 100 degree days in the summer spent 60 miles offshore with a sleeping crew on the way in gives me the most peaceful moment that I feel is just for me. It’s almost strange to describe it.

it gets so much better. If your struggling keep pushing back with everything.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time! 3 years is a great achievement! 🙏
Old 03-11-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You had me at catching fish!😍

Lol

Great work on 3 years!
I can relate to everything you said.

Especially the fish!!😆
Old 03-11-2021, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Erica375

Thank you for coming back to share your uplifting message with us!
Old 03-11-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Notsodrunk View Post
3 years next month. I remember vividly a relapse I posted about in the early days. It was easier then for me to turn off the app than to put it down. There’s still days like today where I crave the taste of whiskey, a good buzz....the noise the ice makes in my glass, but there’s been over 600 and something that I didn’t think about it at all. And 1068 that I didn’t drink at all. I’ve slowly allowed myself around people that drink. Was tempted once but didn’t wavier. Works been crazy stressful lately but I have to sit back and appreciate that I actually get to feel the stress and not drown it out. My kid has totally forgotten that dad ever drank. Wife finally threw out the big bottle of jack that was collecting spare change. To be honest I had forgotten about it and it wasn’t a trigger for me. In the beginning you hear people saying “ if I can you can”. And I always felt like “ this mf isn’t like me, I can’t stop”. I had to look deep and find who I was. Block out people, be an *******, etc. it was worth it. I lost some relationships and I pissed people off. I became honest because I wasn’t hiding behind a bottle. If it took those losses to become sober , maybe it was actually gaining something rather than losing..... i didn’t have a point in reposting other than saying , Hi, I didn’t relapse, I’m not dead. I’ve been sober and feeling life. We’ve caught so many great fish the last two summers and the connections I’ve made with people I feel in my heart. I feel. 100 degree days in the summer spent 60 miles offshore with a sleeping crew on the way in gives me the most peaceful moment that I feel is just for me. It’s almost strange to describe it.

it gets so much better. If your struggling keep pushing back with everything.
Thanks for checking in! I once made it to 3 years and 7 months of sobriety and made a bad decision. Been struggling ever since - on day 71 now, and determined to succeed because I don't want to get any dumber from brain damage or die. My story is here:

JustJohn's Relapse Story (Another Newbie Here!)

Look at my join date and you'll have some idea of my struggle. I got cocky and arrogant in my sobriety and let my guard down. While I heartily congratulate you on your continuing sobriety, I also caution you to keep working and be vigilant - I, and many others, have blown many consecutive years of sobriety. Take a look at some of my early threads here and you'll see my anger and misguided confidence. That anger and arrogance kept me struggling until I dealt with it, and many other issues I had ignored.

I thought I knew something about sobriety since I had been sober going on 4 years, hence, I did not listen to those who were trying to help me. I didn't work a plan because I had no plan. Don't be like I was.

Congratulations and best wishes for your continued sobriety!

Old 03-11-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
You had me at catching fish!😍

Lol

Great work on 3 years!
I can relate to everything you said.

Especially the fish!!😆
ha ha yeah I’m ready to put some in the box when it warms up a little more.

appreciate the well wishes everybody and to be honest the only step I’ve worked is not letting down a little girl, and that’s been enough for me. I’m not religious , and I have apologized to a few people for the past ( mostly some ex’s - ungrateful at the apology&#129315.

it’s been working so far and yeah I would hate to blow it but really being able to feel life and true emotions have been my saving grace for me.

it wasn’t easy and I don’t want to take away from the sweaty nights begging for sleep or any of the crap in the beginning. It hasn’t been all sunshine but I can say there’s a lot less cloudy days lately.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job, man, really great job. Keep at it, have a great life, and take care of that young lady. She'll probably be a Daddy's girl.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time

D
Old 03-11-2021, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three years sober!