Notices

Day 5 and today's adventures in hypochondria land

Old 03-10-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and today's adventures in hypochondria land

I had a post written about what I was freaking out about THIS time and as I was writing and reading my "symptoms", I realized just how silly it sounded and deleted it. But, thanks to that, I actually feel A LOT better!! I feel like this could perhaps be a good exercise to use in the future. There will be times nothing can talk me down from my panic but time, but how nice to feel like I have something in my "arsenal".

Anyway, just checking in on day 5. Hey guys!! Feeling physically good, got a good workout in, my first since my relapse bender and since I don't know how to ease back in, I will be feeling it tomorrow. We are moving in a couple weeks (so excited, I love the place) and I had a productive day with that. Onward I go!
Old 03-10-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 5 - here's hoping you'll feel better and better from here on in babycat

D
Old 03-10-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great to hear that good news babycat!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Crazy to think us addicts would ever drink again knowing what we know from here, AA, etc etc.

But, that is addiction. It is for life.

We accept it and move along. Nothing to see here. I am looking forward.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi babycat.

Congrats on 5 days.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I had a post written about what I was freaking out about THIS time and as I was writing and reading my "symptoms", I realized just how silly it sounded and deleted it. But, thanks to that, I actually feel A LOT better!! I feel like this could perhaps be a good exercise to use in the future. There will be times nothing can talk me down from my panic but time, but how nice to feel like I have something in my "arsenal".

Anyway, just checking in on day 5. Hey guys!! Feeling physically good, got a good workout in, my first since my relapse bender and since I don't know how to ease back in, I will be feeling it tomorrow. We are moving in a couple weeks (so excited, I love the place) and I had a productive day with that. Onward I go!
Hey Babycat!

Health anxiety was a big trigger for me for years. Actually getting doctors and getting past my fear helped a lot (turns out it wasn't all in my head, I had an auto-immune disease that I am now getting treatment for... but I wasn't *dying.* I just needed treatment!).

Couple of things that helped:
  • Never google symptoms! That's a rabbit hole you *never* need. Search engines will always bring out the most severe (and unlikely) diagnoses.
  • If you are concerned about something, see a doctor if you haven't already. Developing a relationship with a good primary care doc (if you can) can help move past some of those underlining fears.
  • Worth talking to a counselor, if you aren't already!
Exercise helped me a lot, too -- but I still really needed to address the underlining anxieties. Not sure if this matches your experience, but I'm glad you're feeling better . Always "play back the tape." Alcohol only ever made me feel good in the moment, health anxiety was always 1000x worse when paired with hangover and withdrawals.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
Hey Babycat!

Health anxiety was a big trigger for me for years. Actually getting doctors and getting past my fear helped a lot (turns out it wasn't all in my head, I had an auto-immune disease that I am now getting treatment for... but I wasn't *dying.* I just needed treatment!).

Couple of things that helped:
  • Never google symptoms! That's a rabbit hole you *never* need. Search engines will always bring out the most severe (and unlikely) diagnoses.
  • If you are concerned about something, see a doctor if you haven't already. Developing a relationship with a good primary care doc (if you can) can help move past some of those underlining fears.
  • Worth talking to a counselor, if you aren't already!
Exercise helped me a lot, too -- but I still really needed to address the underlining anxieties. Not sure if this matches your experience, but I'm glad you're feeling better . Always "play back the tape." Alcohol only ever made me feel good in the moment, health anxiety was always 1000x worse when paired with hangover and withdrawals.
Hello fellow health anxiety sufferer!! I really like all your points. I know googling symptoms is completely detrimental to to my already shaky mental health and I TRY no to, but usually fail and end up seriously exacerbating the problem. I do have to say tho, this happened yesterday and made me heartily laugh out loud. So, I googled "can you have normal physical results and still be very sick" and the very first thing that popped up was "signs you may be a hypochondriac". haha oh dear...

I definitely want to start seeing another therapist. I was talking to one who I really liked a lot but it felt more like I was chatting with a girlfriend than a health professional. It was clear she was not experienced in addiction or my specific anxiety needs. God, why does it have to be so expensive??

Regarding the doctor, a common theme with me is I will freak out and stew on my (often non existent) symptoms for a few days to a week and then cannot take it anymore and then call and beg to be seen immediately as I cannot take the stress anymore. Not a good system. I definitely need a new doc. My current one is ok but very old and very old school and I just don't think he gets me. Plus the place is just a total house of chaos. But, since I am moving soon, that will be the perfect time to find a new one!! That is so great you were able to find out what was going on with you!! ANd you are not dying either! lol

Thank you and everyone for responding to me. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.