Notices

My Life Got Better

Old 03-08-2021, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Life Got Better

...just from staying sober.
Alcohol really messed with my mind, body, and soul.

Mind - my head is clearer so I make clear-headed decisions. And most importantly, I don't make REALLY BAD decisions that I actually believe to be good decisions because I'm severely intoxicated. That doesn't happen anymore. If I make a bad decision, it's made with a clear head and I can live with that.
Body - alcohol made me so sick - physically. I used to wake up with a completely white tongue, yellow eyes, stomach in knots, unable to function at all. I was slowly killing myself. That doesn't happen anymore.
Soul - Alcohol took my soul. I used to hate myself. Couldn't look myself in the mirror. Couldn't look other people in the eyes. I wanted to disappear and no longer exist. None of that is the case today. I have my soul back.

And it's only been 8 months.
If you're an alcoholic and you're struggling, alcohol is likely to be the culprit. It wants to hold you back and steal your mind, body, and soul.

Here's the kicker, just a week ago I was having some anxiety and I briefly thought about having a drink - actually many drinks. I was driving at the time and I was looking at 4 full days off work. No one would really know, I told myself. But I didn't go anywhere near a liquor store. The idea that everything would be just fine if I were to binge drink is bull****. All I did was go home and forget about even entertaining the idea of a drink. It went away and I woke up the next day clear-headed. Who knows the hell that would have ensued if I went the other route. No thanks.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post TWTOM
congrats on 8 months!

D
Old 03-08-2021, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, 8 months is amazing, friend. Many positive changes. It really does mess with us on every level.

Keep up exactly what you're doing TWTOM.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

8 months is fantastic, well done on that I'm only 8 days 😃
Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I loved your post - thanks so much - it will inspire many. .

It's incredible how we think drinking is helping us cope & get through hard times. It actually increases our anxiety & makes decision making very difficult. All the messes we had to clean up - the regrets & guilt. No point in ever returning to that horrible place. Congratulations on your 8 months.

OverthePanic - 8 days is also a huge triumph - we know how hard those early days are. Congrats.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

TWTOM, I'm delighted that the New Me is doing so well. I am happy for you.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe;[url=tel:7602778
7602778[/url]]...just from staying sober.
Alcohol really messed with my mind, body, and soul.

Mind - my head is clearer so I make clear-headed decisions. And most importantly, I don't make REALLY BAD decisions that I actually believe to be good decisions because I'm severely intoxicated. That doesn't happen anymore. If I make a bad decision, it's made with a clear head and I can live with that.
Body - alcohol made me so sick - physically. I used to wake up with a completely white tongue, yellow eyes, stomach in knots, unable to function at all. I was slowly killing myself. That doesn't happen anymore.
Soul - Alcohol took my soul. I used to hate myself. Couldn't look myself in the mirror. Couldn't look other people in the eyes. I wanted to disappear and no longer exist. None of that is the case today. I have my soul back.

And it's only been 8 months.
If you're an alcoholic and you're struggling, alcohol is likely to be the culprit. It wants to hold you back and steal your mind, body, and soul.

Here's the kicker, just a week ago I was having some anxiety and I briefly thought about having a drink - actually many drinks. I was driving at the time and I was looking at 4 full days off work. No one would really know, I told myself. But I didn't go anywhere near a liquor store. The idea that everything would be just fine if I were to binge drink is bull****. All I did was go home and forget about even entertaining the idea of a drink. It went away and I woke up the next day clear-headed. Who knows the hell that would have ensued if I went the other route. No thanks.
Whew!! So glad you made the right decision!! Congrats on 8 months!!

Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on 8 months.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, TWTOM, I enjoyed reading your success. And congratulations on your 8 months 😃.

Over the Panic, congratulations on your 8 days, what a super start 😃.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sure does. There’s always hope for a brighter day and future if one is sober 🙏
Old 03-09-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
The idea that everything would be just fine if I were to binge drink is bull****. All I did was go home and forget about even entertaining the idea of a drink. It went away and I woke up the next day clear-headed. Who knows the hell that would have ensued if I went the other route. No thanks.
One of the biggest dangers in early recovery is feeling so good you think you are cured. Congratulations on not buying into that.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love this post and I relate entirely. I used to drink because I hated my thinking patterns and emotions. Meanwhile it was the alcohol causing those negative thinking patterns and emotions in the first place.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As I increased my drinking I also stopped using any type of internal coping mechanisms to deal with stress, anger or emotional pain. Instead I started to rely on alcohol because, as a depressant, it slowed my thoughts while deadening my emotions even more. And only in that state would I allow myself to think or recognize the many problems piling up in my life, due to alcohol. But I didnt see it that way. I lied to myself that alcohol was allowing me to deal with issues but I wasn't really dealing or solving anything when drinking. After a few hours of drinking, all the emotions I was trying to suppress would come pouring out, usually in unhealthy ways. So, alcohol was really making things worse but I was in a bad cycle. So, the next day Id again wake up with the same problems, plus the ones I created while drunk and then try to shut down emotionally until I was able to get to the bar and start drinking agin to "solve my problems"

Getting sober, I had to relearn how to deal with issues and its been a good journey. Now things that would have set me off, like the news, someone talking on the radio, some minor work mishap etc, barely register with me. For me, embracing a sober life has been great and I dont regret it.