Notices

quitting and dieting (at the same time)

Old 03-06-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quitting and dieting (at the same time)

Ive been changing the way I eat... to super low carb..
I feel better and have lost a few pounds.....well..... (TILL I recently started adding carbs plus the 1200 BEER calories) to my diet (?)
SO heres my thought ..... Its too much AT ONCE.
I should focus on the quit now - resume diet later....
I know that having some carbs, sugar can be a hekp at the entry of a quit...
THOUGHTS?
Old 03-06-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have found that without drinking the quality of my diet improves. I'm not one for counting calories tho. I definitely find myself eating more fruits and vegetables and also craving them
Old 03-06-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

For me it would have been too much at once. My first 30 days I allowed myself to eat anything I wanted in order to power through cravings and anxiety. I must have eaten 2 pounds of chocolate covered almonds and drank 2 cases of soft drinks with cane sugar. I still ate mostly healthy meals on top of the snacks - and I did put on some weight. The next 30 days I began a keto - low carb diet, and hit the weights. I feel great, and do not feel deprived. I satisfy my sweet tooth with a low carb chocolate protein shake or low carb, high fat yogurt.

I say go for it - but if you really feel you need a treat to get you through a craving, then have that indulgence if it keeps you sober. It's much easier recovering from a sugary treat than a hangover and guilt. Be kind and gentle to yourself in these early days.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’d listen to my body. If a few bites of chocolate keep my wine craving at bay, I’m ok with that for now. I generally need to follow a low carb diet for T2 diabetes. So, I never go off the rails with carbs or sweets but have been having a few. I’ve lost some weight anyway due to the elimination of alcohol.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im not one for "diets"
Lifestyle changes, yes!
I think focusing on one thing at a time is very doable. Its hard to take on too much and when it doesnt go as planned we "feel" like a failure. Incremental changes seems to have better success. Just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Im not one for "diets"
Lifestyle changes, yes!
I think focusing on one thing at a time is very doable. Its hard to take on too much and when it doesnt go as planned we "feel" like a failure. Incremental changes seems to have better success. Just my opinion.
I can resonate with that theory actually...
Thank you!
Old 03-06-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Cutting out 12 beers a night is dieting!
Old 03-06-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My recovery diet was complicated by the paws I began to experience after a few weeks in...My appetite suffered...I skipped meals, and I became a bit malnurished....

Had to slow down and take things one step at a time...slowly began cutting the sugar...then the carbs...adding more veggies n protein and things started getting better...everybody’s different so whatever works for you...be sure and take care of yourself and don’t push it too hard...only you know how you’re feeling.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Quitting can be done in a day and actually boils down to making a pledge of permanent abstinence which takes about 5 to 10 seconds, depending on how fast you say the words “I will NEVER drink again!” to yourself within your brain. So, quitting is an event. (There is always that last drink we all took. 100% of us. Some of us KNOW it was the last drink we will EVER take. Others will engage in all kinds of activities to remain unsure whether it really was the last drink. I think some people falsely believe they do not have the capacity to KNOW it was their last drink. But I believe every addicted person does have the capacity to KNOW they will never drink again.

Personally, I don’t like the ongoing continuous “actions” of “dieting”. But I have made pledges against ever again eating certain foods: anything caffeinated, anything with cacao (chocolate), any man-made sweets, and any nicotine. It takes very little “action” and I read ingredients before these pledges anyway (at my wife’s urging).

Ending food addiction means deciding which of the letters in the acronym TAPS to choose to solve the problem. Play TAPS for your Beast of food addiction. T= time (pledge to never eat at certain times), A= Amount (pledge to never eat more than a certain amount during a time period) P= place (pledge to never eat at certain places/ only eat at certain places), and my favorite S= substance (pledge to never eat certain substances ever again). I’ve found that S works great for me. Hasn’t failed me yet. How could it?

They were all pledges and I know I can’t lie to myself. I’ve tried to lie to myself and every time I instantly know its a lie because I “hear” everything I think.

People often mouth a pledge to lie to other people to buy time or avoidance, but you cannot lie to yourself. Try it now. If you truly decide you will never drink alcohol again, then from now on - every time alcohol gets close to you, you cannot help but remember the pledge you made and therefore will refuse to pour it in your mouth. You can pretend to make the pledge to yourself, but that is meaningless. Drinking alcohol is SOOO deliberate and IN YOUR FACE obvious, that it cannot be faked that you didn’t know you were drinking. There is NOTHING subconscious about deciding to drink alcohol.

When you make the pledge of permanent abstinence you may FEEL some resistance and eventually sadness that all those years of effort you put into “how-I-operated-within-myself-to-drink-and-get-by-in-society” is now DEAD. Well, that is a GOOD DEATH. YOU WILL NEVER FEEL THAT WONDERFUL DEEP PLEASURE from alcohol ever again that you protected at such costs. You have become a traitor against that mode of protection and you have literally “killed it off” even though you can still FEEL it inside wanting YOU to revive it by drinking some more. That internal “wanting” is not really YOU, it is the residuals of a dangerous appetite for the pleasure from booze. Here on SR and other places it is called the Addictive Voice, like the sirens calling Ulysses onto the rocks.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Cutting out 12 beers a night is dieting!
LOL...awesome!!
Old 03-07-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Quitting can be done in a day and actually boils down to making a pledge of permanent abstinence which takes about 5 to 10 seconds, depending on how fast you say the words “I will NEVER drink again!” to yourself within your brain. So, quitting is an event. (There is always that last drink we all took. 100% of us. Some of us KNOW it was the last drink we will EVER take. Others will engage in all kinds of activities to remain unsure whether it really was the last drink. I think some people falsely believe they do not have the capacity to KNOW it was their last drink. But I believe every addicted person does have the capacity to KNOW they will never drink again.

Personally, I don’t like the ongoing continuous “actions” of “dieting”. But I have made pledges against ever again eating certain foods: anything caffeinated, anything with cacao (chocolate), any man-made sweets, and any nicotine. It takes very little “action” and I read ingredients before these pledges anyway (at my wife’s urging).

Ending food addiction means deciding which of the letters in the acronym TAPS to choose to solve the problem. Play TAPS for your Beast of food addiction. T= time (pledge to never eat at certain times), A= Amount (pledge to never eat more than a certain amount during a time period) P= place (pledge to never eat at certain places/ only eat at certain places), and my favorite S= substance (pledge to never eat certain substances ever again). I’ve found that S works great for me. Hasn’t failed me yet. How could it?

They were all pledges and I know I can’t lie to myself. I’ve tried to lie to myself and every time I instantly know its a lie because I “hear” everything I think.

People often mouth a pledge to lie to other people to buy time or avoidance, but you cannot lie to yourself. Try it now. If you truly decide you will never drink alcohol again, then from now on - every time alcohol gets close to you, you cannot help but remember the pledge you made and therefore will refuse to pour it in your mouth. You can pretend to make the pledge to yourself, but that is meaningless. Drinking alcohol is SOOO deliberate and IN YOUR FACE obvious, that it cannot be faked that you didn’t know you were drinking. There is NOTHING subconscious about deciding to drink alcohol.

When you make the pledge of permanent abstinence you may FEEL some resistance and eventually sadness that all those years of effort you put into “how-I-operated-within-myself-to-drink-and-get-by-in-society” is now DEAD. Well, that is a GOOD DEATH. YOU WILL NEVER FEEL THAT WONDERFUL DEEP PLEASURE from alcohol ever again that you protected at such costs. You have become a traitor against that mode of protection and you have literally “killed it off” even though you can still FEEL it inside wanting YOU to revive it by drinking some more. That internal “wanting” is not really YOU, it is the residuals of a dangerous appetite for the pleasure from booze. Here on SR and other places it is called the Addictive Voice, like the sirens calling Ulysses onto the rocks.
This kind of thought process in a "recovery" community usually encounters friction as it challenges (or can be seen as some) to challenge the NEED for long term or lifelong attachment to a community.
Though I find value in a quit community, as I get along in years I find that your method- what you describe here can work.
I too believe your described "methods". Thats how I finally - FINALLY quit smoking and never went back in 06.
THANK YOU - this hit me right where and when I needed it.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm not sure why you'd cut out complex carbs? I've lost 60lbs and never once given up any food. Just balance it better . I eat whole foods, not much processed...unless I'm having a "day" haha
Old 03-07-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I'm not sure why you'd cut out complex carbs? I've lost 60lbs and never once given up any food. Just balance it better . I eat whole foods, not much processed...unless I'm having a "day" haha
So, "eating clean" (I think thats the fashion word for it?)
OMG on 60 lbs- how long did that take? and Congrats!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been really, really big, like, near 400 pounds big, do about 250 now, and still a way to go. When I could (had a leg injury) I walked whenever I could and was eating 1600 calories a day. I find if about a thousand of those calories is good, then the other 600 can be bad and I won't feel hungry. Never paid attention to macro nutrients whatsoever. Not much exercise this week and still lost two pounds, so it works for me. I think that living healthier in general as well as quitting drinking can be achieved, you just need to make sure you're not making too many extreme changes. If you're diet is working, you should rarely feel hungry.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm doing the same thing. My only regret is I probably did too much fat too fast and cut too many carbs. Keto flu hit very hard. So in that regard, I'd say be careful about overdoing it.

That said, I'm in the camp that people should change more than just drinking. Diet is an excellent start- and please DO NOT FALL BACK ON SUGAR AS A CRUTCH. I say this from experience. My first 2 quits I started eating a pint of Ben and Jerrys every single day for 6 months. I swear I did more damage to my liver that way than I did drinking and I have the ultrasound to prove it.

I never had a sweet tooth before I stopped drinking. It was me refusing to re-regulate my jacked up dopamine system. This time around I sweated through it with the help of natural supplementation and now I have zero cravings for sugar OR alcohol.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey there, great topic and great question! First off, congratulations on getting clean. Remember any day of sobriety is a successful day. Even if you eat 12 full size cakes and the batch of brownies it is still successful if you can go the day without using or drinking.
I personally started to diet right off the bat which I found easy because I was already craving healthier things. I would not necessarily do zero carb as that will come with the withdrawal process of its own. I would say listen to your own limitations and if things feel like too much add in a bit of carbs and some snacks or whatever you feel is right.
the deal you don't want to overdo it because then you may end up just binging anyway. Either way be nice to yourself, regardless of how the eating goes each day. From a recommendation I started to listen to these 8-hour sleep hypnosis tracks on YouTube for weight loss and stopping emotional eating. they have been quite effective and I've been listening to them for 60 days. After about two weeks of sobriety I decided it was time to cut out processed sugar. I exercise everyday which is instrumental in maintaining the desire for eating healthy and for healing my brain. The desire to quit sugar came naturally and because the willingness was there I found it quite easy and only coupled with 3 to 5 days of cravings.

I could not have done any of these things without a lot of daily exercise I usually would try to walk at least an hour a day bare minimum and additionally add in a lot of gym time. I know that it's difficult if you have a full-time job, but I found exercise to be absolutely instrumental and I continue to exercise daily.
Wishing you all the best feel free to reach out if you have other questions.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
So, "eating clean" (I think thats the fashion word for it?)
OMG on 60 lbs- how long did that take? and Congrats!
yeah I just do 80/20.... no one is perfect took a long time as i have PCOS so it's literally impossible to lose weight.
I work out regularly. I would say it's been about 1.5 years to lose this much, and only tried about 50% of the time haha.